IGNORED

Sio2SD

Heaven/TQA

guys... i don't speak any polish... ;) maybe miker, tebe, dracon, etc can send some light regarding this sio 2 SD card project... this is exactly what i was searching for... have you seen the other screens? as far as i can recon there are ATRs on the SD card which can be booted...

Heaven,

Thanks for the links - I found the upper directory at the time of your first post and this really has wet my appetite.

I have to learn PCB manufacturing to help Mux with the Double GTIA upgrade so, if that SIO2SD is not difficult to manufacture, I could probably do it myself.

AB.

Hey I just had an idea pop into my head...

Why not some how retrofit this into an existing 1050 case, with the LCD display in place of the floppy mech, and those buttons put along the bottom or on the side like a happy mod or write protect switch mod would go, that I think would look :D snazzy :D in a desktop setup.

You could utiilize the power and the SIO ports plus the drive selection switches from the existing board, or make a new one so you could have those features.

You'd possibly have to add a little weight to the case to make it feel like a 1050 drive, due to the floppy mech would be pulled out.

just a small rambling and idea...

Thanks for reading.

SC

A little more info from:

http://www.atari8.info/dodajkomentarz.php?...ews=107&lang=en

As yesterday told me Jerry, he has invented new Atari interface, called SIO2SD. It supports virtual disk 90KB - 16MB in ATR format, using the SD or MMC cards, which can be hot-plugged, with no need to turn off the computer. Under the atari.dwb.pl address we can see test version. The controlling and disk change (any number of ATRs) can be done via special buttons, or from the Atari.

The whole project will be available as Open Source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another idea popped into my head this morning...

On retrofitting this, I had an idea of having molded plastic made to match the shape of your 8-bit, 800xl, 65/130xe, etc.. to mold to the top of the 8-bit on the right hand side near the SIO port.

What i'm trying to visualize is the will be in a 1/2" high piece of molded plastic that's the same color and design of the existing top cover, and will fit snugly over it, with the display in the middle of the piece on the right hand side.

The LCD screen that's in there would be at a slight angle so it could be read easily, and the slot for the SD card would be on the right hand side, or on the back of the piece, so it wouldn't get bumped by hands plugging in joysticks, etc..

Whaddaya think? Am I mad? :D

-SC

• 2 years later...

Here a suggestion how to build it in (although this is the SMD version, i bet

there is enough room inside a 1064 case for your original PCB, Pigula)

I found this posted by the User "Toto" on german Abbuc Forum. I think

he will not be mad if i show it here, too.

post-8944-1176243839_thumb.jpgpost-8944-1176243852_thumb.jpgpost-8944-1176243869_thumb.jpg

Nice idea, isn't it?

------------------------------------

I did it direct into my 800XL this way (i showed this pic earlier)

post-8944-1176243967_thumb.jpg

Here a suggestion how to build it in (although this is the SMD version, i bet

there is enough room inside a 1064 case for your original PCB, Pigula)

I found this posted by the User "Toto" on german Abbuc Forum. I think

he will not be mad if i show it here, too.

post-8944-1176243839_thumb.jpgpost-8944-1176243852_thumb.jpgpost-8944-1176243869_thumb.jpg

Nice idea, isn't it?

------------------------------------

I did it direct into my 800XL this way (i showed this pic earlier)

post-8944-1176243967_thumb.jpg

The enclosure is from the 1064?!? The 600XL 64k memory modules. Any chance these enclosures are floating around out there empty our do I have to rip apart a 1064? If that's not what it is then what can be used? Surely not a power brick enclosure.

Awesome idea though.

Edited by MGustafson

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there anywhere/anyone that I can get the PCB from and then build the rest myself?

pcb is coast ~6Euro but post deliver is expensive!!!!!

Thanks for the news, I would like to add this to my list of projects :)

Is it easy to get up and running? I am ok with a soldering iron, but useless with computers!

Edited by mimo