IGNORED

Kind of unworkable game cartridges

KingofOSU

Hey all,

I just put together my old system from when I was a kid. I brought all of my games from back home and got them all to work but one. My Donkey Kong Jr. and some other games don't work unless I hold them tightly into the console. Is this a common problem? I got some games off of E-bay that are the same problem. If this is a common problem, is there an easy fix? Is the cartridge just dirty or something, and how do I clean it? Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The carts are probably just dirty. Try cleaning them. Cleaning a cart will make it work again 95% of the time. Since they have no moving parts, they are quite tough to destroy. to clean a cart, get some rubbing alcohol (the higher the purity the better, try to get 90% or higher) and some q-tips. Take the q-tip and dip it into the alcohol. Then take the moistened q-tip and rub along both sides of the chip sticking out of the bottom of the cart. Then take the dry side of the q-tip and rub it over the same area, drying the cart. Now try and play game again. For more info check out here http://tomheroes.com/Video%20Games%20FS/collecti.htm

If you are handy with solder....

Whenever I have a sketchy system (2600 or otherwise), I open the system and resolder the connectors on the board. Think how many times the system has been on for hours, then turned off and the connectors tugged internally by the tension on the cartridge. If you think about it in terms of design, its amazing any of these things still work. Its a five minute job that fixes 99% of all my headaches. HTH,

Cassidy

BTW, I have seen this on 6 switches more than on four. Not sure why, maybe just age?