IGNORED

Teenagers and Atari

shank

What do teenagers think about the Atari 2600? Do they ever try to find one to play? Are there any teenagers on this board? I hope they like it. I'm just curious, because today is my birthday i'm 30 and i was just thinking about it. Thanks.

Happy Birthday Shankster :) You are still a young punk to me as I am 34 :sad: Most teens I know HATE the 2600 and talk about the games being too easy ,just goes to prove they never played em :D Its not just the teens though my wife is 23 and she refuses to play anything older than SNES and will not pick up the rotary phones on my desk or in the kitchen. Go figger.

15 year old here, i have an atari and 13 games. I LOVE ATARI. some people i know are interested in atari but probably never played one for real.Most my friends find it boring but i find it engrosing facinating and addictive.

differnt srokes for differnt folks

I have a 11 year old customer that loves atari so far he has over 120 games and comes in everyday to see if i got new ones in stock. He goes threw my over stock atari games and looks for the most perfect labels so his collection is perfect so far. Today i got some of those atari binders in and he went crazy and wants them but i keep them for my storage. I gave him one of the atari binders that has the 3 fold pages and he put most of his mint activision games in it.

14 years old here. I'm much more into classic consoles than modern ones. I have a 2600 console and a handful of games that I'll take out from time to time, though to be honest, I do find several of them boring after a while. None of my friends are interested in classic consoles, save for one who happens to have an NES.

I enjoy old consoles more for the technical aspects... 128 bytes of RAM and two actual sprites is much more fun to play around with than 128 megs of RAM and tons of graphical power.

I have a 11 year old customer that loves atari so far he has over 120 games and comes in everyday to see if i got new ones in stock. He goes threw my over stock atari games and looks for the most perfect labels so his collection is perfect so far. Today i got some of those atari binders in and he went crazy and wants them but i keep them for my storage. I gave him one of the atari binders that has the 3 fold pages and he put most of his mint activision games in it.

That kid sounds cool! :)

That kid sounds cool! :)

yeah, i wish i could start a relationship with my local video game salsman

I'm 19 myself...

I have a 2600 and a pile o' games...about 20 or so...all common...I'd like to get more...but I try to buy my games in big lots from yard sales, etc...for cheapness...

My dad had a 2600 (I remember playing it when I was four or so...Missle Command confused me...) but around 1989 or so...my older brother and sister started whining for an NES...which we got...

Eventually NES was passe and the games were dirt cheap, so my dad started buying them for us. My brother and sister lost interest...so I'm the caretaker of around 200 NES games...

Sometime our 2600 broke...I don't know whats wrong with it...but I still keep it around...but as luck would have it, i scored a new one a few years back at a yard sale. Woohoo. I still play it pretty often...though I tend to go for Colecovision more...as I just have better games for it.

As for other Atari stuff, I have a Lynx...which I love...I have about 20 games for that, and I keep buying em.

Otherwise though, I'm closing in on my goal of owning every console released in North America, not including harware redesigns...(Yeah, yeah, I know I should have more Atari stuff...but I have damn near everything else...)

The future? I want a 5200 or 7800, but I can never find a good deal on one locally. I'll just have to wait.

Good luck Blur2040.... you'll eventually run into them both locally I'm sure... somewhere , sometime.

I got all of my systems locally. I had about 6 5200's at one point of time... no power supplies for them becuase they used the weird adaptor through the RFU so I got rid of them... I think I only paid $2 for each 5200 anyways... Flea Market days... man I miss them!

Guy here locally said he just sold a 7800 3 weeks ago, I was like DOH! Maybe I should check this local game trade place.. they get some weird stuff in every once in a while and stock Atari games.... even Jaguar games.

I'll have to check that out tomorrow...

Worst part is...a friend of mine has a really really really nice 7800 loose (he probably still has the box, actually) but he never plays it...though I hear it technically belongs to his dad.

I'll probably find myself a 7800 or 5200 over the summer...

I'm fascinated by the 5200 Joystick...

I'm soon to be 20 but you'll find im a big gamer all-around. I'm not a pyscho collector (no offense to those here who are :)). My love for gaming is for all consoles and all the classics hold a special place in my heart. The 2600 especially, just something magical about it. I had been playing it on ROMs, but about half a year ago I got a woody off Ebay with about 20 games. However recently it stopped working (thinking about sending it to someone, like CPUWIZ if they'll take it and see what's wrong with it and of course I'll pay shipping both ways). I recently bought another Atari though, a Jr. with about 7 games four I don't have. I'm excited about visiting thrift stores around my college when I go back (none here at home) to hunt down some common titles. I love Atari!

Oh yea and 5200 rocks my face off!

I'm 21 and enjoy Atari. My first system was actually the NES, then SNES, Genesis, and then when Radio Shack started getting rid of their Atari stock and started offering the games for in-store mail order I finally by my sister's 2600 to good use, so that's when I discovered the system. This was somepoint in the mid 90s. I was able to pick up games like Jr. Pacman, Pitfall II, Mouse Trap, Space Invaders, Pole Position, and a few others. Then I got a 7800, then after that I became a huge Atari fan and got a Jaguar. Then my last system became the N64 before I lost interest in video games. This summer for some strange reason I re-dug up my sis's 2600 and got a few games online, hope to be getting some of the homebrews soon. :-)

These guys have a 7800, a heavy sixer, vader, several woody's, SNES's, NES's, and Jaguars in stock. I think that they'll ship, and they do warranty their stuff. I don't get anything for plugging them here. Just want to see the little guys survive. Gamestop, etc have killed off the really good game stores. This is the best game store I've been in. I travel for work often, and try to find the mom and pop stores in every city I visit.

http://www.gamesplusaz.com/

11 years difference? Damn. Congratulations!

I heard that. Good show!

I'm well beyond my teen years now but I can tell you that many of the lonely twenty-somethings I work with see the 2600 as a happy memory -- but not a legitimate game system. They've been too well programmed into thinking you need CG cutscenes, an elaborate story that goes nowhere, and state-of-the-art graphics (although not one of them really knows what state-of-the-art is) to define a real game. I'll agree that most 2600 games don't have the immediate depth of GTA:VC but neither does chess, checkers, or many other traditional games that still can be fun.