IGNORED

Supercharger conversion hacks...

Nukey Shay

...and a corrected Haunted House 7800-compatable palette-select hack. This was edited by vdub_bobby to provide Stella-compatability quite awhile ago, but it dropped the merged joystick routine. Added back in by reducing the number of spare bytes at the end. As before, additional color shading is present...and the unused RIGHT difficulty switch lets you select bat sensitivity (whether or not the match will be blown out by that creature).

It was mentioned that the original game has problems on the SC...is this still the case?

Haunted_House.zip

The Mythicon games...

Like Mystique games, all of these use a checksum routine right before cartridge initialization takes place...which scans the entire ROM area (crashing the SC and putting any potential hacks into infinite loops). I simply relocated the START tag to defeat.

Fire Fly and Sorcerer also pushed a bit test data table onto a hotspot...but there is plenty of unused space in either of them to relocate the table (both appear to be messy hacks of Star Fox).

Star Fox did not have a stable scanline count (alternating between 268 and 274 scanlines), so I bumped the timers up to keep worst-case scenarios in check. 8 scanlines robbed from the reserve player display to bring it back down to a steady 262. Fire fly and Sorcerer appear to have stable counts already.

NTSC only...I've looked at them long enough ;).

Mythicon.zip

Edited by Nukey Shay

Just checking in for some assistance.

I am trying to create wav files from these. I've so far used PlayBin to no avail. Most often the supercharger starts to load and then quits. I've tried all the various setting of playbin. In makewav I've gone as far as dragging and dropping the bin files to create a wav but have not used the command line yet. I'm on a Mac running Win2k in Virtual PC.

Has anyone gotten these to load on the supercharger and if so, can you post the exact way in which you're doing it and perhaps even post the .wav files or e-mail them to me for MP3 conversion?

Sorry to hear about your conversion headaches. As I posted earlier, this should probably only happen to Mac users that don't have a way of using OS9 apps (because an OS9 build of Makewav exists).

Hang on a minute...

Doing a search ended up with something called Toolshed...which looks to contain an OS-X compatable version of Makewav. Or am I reading this wrong?

Just checking in for some assistance.

I am trying to create wav files from these. I've so far used PlayBin to no avail. Most often the supercharger starts to load and then quits. I've tried all the various setting of playbin. In makewav I've gone as far as dragging and dropping the bin files to create a wav but have not used the command line yet. I'm on a Mac running Win2k in Virtual PC.

Has anyone gotten these to load on the supercharger and if so, can you post the exact way in which you're doing it and perhaps even post the .wav files or e-mail them to me for MP3 conversion?

I can't address any Mac issues but...

If you're using makewav it says this in the help file:

"Suggested command line to create game.wav:

Cuttle Cart:

makewav game.bin

Supercharger:

makewav -ts game.bin"

Maybe you're leaving off the -ts?

If you're connecting the supercharger directly to a computer you can use wplaybin to convert bins to wavs in realtime. I think I'm using the default settings there (Fast play, 44kHz, 1 second header length). One thing you may have to play with whether using wplaybin or makewav is the output volume of the device (laptop, CD player, MP3 player). Too high or too low and the game won't load properly.

If you're trying to convert game wavs to MP3s that's a whole new can of worms. I tried it and never got any consistent results. Then I found that my MP3 player plays wavs too so I just left the games as that.

Actually, using Virtual PC on a Mac is just like using a pc so, the only thing I didn't try was the command line on makewav... mostly due to laziness but I really DID try every conceivable setting, volume and all, for PlayBin and it just didn't work. It really had me scratching my head as to why it would not work.

I will try command line on makewav with the proper commands tomorrow, as was suggested.

Again though, I have to ask who has tested it and if there is a wav collection already made that can be shared to save some time and effort, but I don't mind doing it, I just wish it was a tad easier.

Playbin would have been perfect since I have a program that will grab the audio from any program running and convert it to any format... that really would have been best but it just does not work for any of the dozen or so of Nukey's hacks I tried... has ANYONE gotten playbin to work with these? if so can you post the EXACT settings you used?

As for MP3s, I have already successfully converted and tested 100% my personal conversion of Worship the Woodgrain and Stella Gets a New Brain and the only hitch I ran into was on two multi-load games and to fix that I merely upped the quality setting for the MP3 rip... results downloadable in this thread [new rip of stella coming soon]

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=125293&hl=

That's like 400+ games tested and working on a modded supercharger with an iPod playing MP3s.

I'd really like to start adding Nukey's cool collection to the MP3 library and make them available to everyone.

Hang on a minute...

Doing a search ended up with something called Toolshed...which looks to contain an OS-X compatable version of Makewav. Or am I reading this wrong?

Just checking in as a followup on this 'toolshed' for osx. I installed it and ran it:

makewav - S record to CoCo/MC-10 audio WAV file

Copyright © 2007 tim lindner

This program will convert a Motorola S record file to

a WAV file. The format will match Microsoft's Color BASIC and Micro

Color BASIC cassette format.

General options:

-l<val> Length for silent leader (default 2 seconds)

-s<val> Sample rate for WAV fil seem to revolve around color (default 11250 samples per second)

-r Treat input file as raw binary, not an S Record file.

-n<string> Filename to encode in header (default: FILE)

-[0-2] File type (default 2)

0 = BASIC program

1 = BASIC data file

2 = Machine language program

-[a|b] Data type (a = ASCII, b=binary (default: binary)

-d<val> Start address (default: $0)

-e<val> Execution address (default: $0)

-o<string> Output file name for WAV file (default: file.wav)

-v Print information about the conversion (default: off)

For <val> use 0x prefix for hex, 0 prefix for octal and no prefix for decimal.

[marks-Computer-2:~] mark%

It does not seem to have the commands for the cuttlecart/supercharger :(

all the toolshed tools seem to revolve around color management and calibration. but maybe an e-mail to the author will get the added support or a separate build.

okie doke, after a bit if fiddle-faddle i got makewav working in VirtualPC. When I tried a batch file it made one wav file insteqad of multiple so I found a quick way to drag and drop one at a time in to the command prompt and I pretty much converted all of Nukey's hacks so far to WAV and after I test, will convert to MP3 with proper ID3 tags

Now, I did run in to a problem with two games that came up with an error as "invalid file size for .bin". they are Deadly Duck and the Smurf Hack.

I also have a dumb question to ask... how are the .asm files used? I assume they have nothing to do with makewav?

I zipped the incorrect binary of Deadly Duck (one that crashed Dasm - hence the odd file size)...which was supposed to be a corrected binary. Oops :P

Click here for the working binary.

Smurf: RiGC is an 8k game. It will not work on any Supercharger (it was originally posted to this thread before I renamed the topic...since all of the rest were SC-compatable hacks).

how are the .asm files used? I assume they have nothing to do with makewav?

That is correct. These are the partially reverse-engineered disassembly files that I used to create the binary in the zipfile. I normally include them just in case somebody wants to add to it on their own (or more easily hack game colors, sprites, etc). I generate the binary files by using Dasm in commandline...

dasm Assembly.asm -f3 -oBinary.bin

You can take a look at them in any text editor if you want to see examples of my sloppy changes ;)

I try never to change Distella's label names...so the addresses listed in the file will correctly reflect the addresses in the original -unaltered- game (even tho they may no longer reflect correct addresses in the SC hacks). When hacking ram allocation, I usually rename all $zp addresses to rzp (with a corresponding equate table up top)...so those too will reflect the addresses used in the original game.

Edited by Nukey Shay

Okay friends... as promised, the MP3 collection of Nukey's Hacks Volume 1

I have tested many of these, please let me know if any do not work, I'm 99% certain they all work

I have temporarily hosted them on my website but hope Albert will take them and host them here on AA

Have a great Holiday Weekend Everyone, I'm off to Canada for the weekend tomorrow

cheers!

http://www.liveatthespace.com/nukeyshacksV1.zip

8.4MB

edit: this does not include the fix for Deadly Duck, that will be in Volume 2 :) 0h, and I didn't rip the PAL versions, sorry. If there is a nice request for that I will happily do it sometime next month.

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

Entombed:

Original game's audio data crashes the SC. I'm not really sure, but it looks as though 1 label was even incorrectly placed by the programmer (LBF8F...all tables should be 9 bytes AFAIK).

Anyway...a bunch of redundancy cut, and a frequently-used INTIM subroutine has been eliminated (saving cycle time that caused the original to have an erratic number - alternating between 261 and 262 scanlines). Screen should now only jump when starting a new game/returning to the menu.

Currently NTSC-only

Entombed.zip

Room Of Doom:

Not a very challenging game...so I just built seperate NTSC and PAL60 binaries. The screen border in the original game merges a static value to get the alternate color at the start of each room. This has not been changed...so the initial color may be wrong for PAL (but it will be fixed once you begin moving).

Also:

WtW lists Revenge Of The Beefsteak Tomatoes as non-compatable...but the disassembly does not indicate why at first glance ($xFF6 on up are unused). Anybody confirm that it doesn't work on an unhacked SC? Would a read from ram $4C cause problems with the unit? This line is noted in the disssembly file here...

RevBfTom.zip

Room_Of_Doom.zip

Edited by Nukey Shay

Ditto on Cakewalk. It is also on my list of Supercharger-compatible games. But I wouldn't call my list 100% accurate. For example, I was surprised a while back when you posted a supercharger-compatible Berzerk because I had been playing the original bin for years without it ever crashing on me.

But I guess between you looking at the code and my testing, that should give a pretty high degree of confidence that a game will work.

Berzerk was a mistake. I misread the disassembly made by Debro...

RobotMissileDelayTable
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_0
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_1
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_2
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_3
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_4
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_5
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_6
  .byte ROBOT_MISSILE_DELAY_7

BOUNDARY 252

.word Start
  .word 0

That made me falsely conclude that the missile delay table extended right up to $xFFB (when in actuality, it ends at $xFF5...leaving 6 null bytes before the vectors). The original should work fine as you've noticed.

Journey - Escape:

No PAL version for this yet. Hacking the yellow color seems to remove fences altogether. But a compatable NTSC binary was made by swapping routines at the top and bottom of the file, and relocating the 2-byte color table that existed at the interrupt vector's definition.

Journey_Escape.zip

Reactor:

The 6-sprite printing routine exists right at the end of the binary...the RTS sits right on the hotspot. At the start of the subroutine, a scanline counter is saved, and then immediately loaded to Y for the loop. This has been changed to reuse the storing instruction instead...with the countdown DEC changed to be LDY/DEY instead (saving 1 byte for the routine). Because an RTS existing at $xFF7 is still unacceptable, a 2-byte data table has been moved past the routine.

Although abstract enough to be played even without a PAL conversion, the color table was easily located right at the start of the binary.

NOTE: the disassembly has not been reverse-engineered at all.

Reactor.zip

Malagai update:

Palette-selection hack made. I cut 2 bytes of ram from Stack usage also, so I relocated those just before the score table (to keep them from getting corrupted and rolling the score at 40k - thanks ninermaniac for the info). The maze color is not updated until a new screen "unfolds" tho...but all other colors are when you switch palettes.

Malagai.zip

Bunch of stuff done while AA was down...

I'm not too interested in hacking games that are already hacks done by pirate companies...but Spiderdroid, Ocean City Defender, and Philly Flasher are all SC-incompatables on the WtW collection. I already had disassemblies of the original games, so updating them to include alternate game options wasn't difficult.

Spiderdroid:

In addition to the standard game, the double-speed variation done by Thomas Jentzsch for Amidar has also been added for this title. Still no luck at making the speed option selectable in-game tho :(

Ocean City Defender:

The additional color bands and more difficult "Atlantis II" toggle (via difficulty switch) has been added to this title.

Philly Flasher:

Like most "X-rated" games, this one uses a powerup checksum routine to discourage hacks and indirectly crash the SC (this routine has been defeated here).

Additional color table utilized in the Beat'Em & Eat'Em hack added to the cityscape.

New games added...

Video Pinball:

7800-compatable palette select hack made. I had a bunch of free space, so I also centered the plunger "spring" and added more color for the targets.

Air Raiders:

Another oddity...free space exists right near the end of ROM, and yet Mattel chose to place a 2-byte table in the interrupt vector's location. Currently NTSC only...but I did correct the scanline count to 262 (the program intentionally makes this erratic when crashing).

Both NTSC and PAL60 binaries made for these games:

Atari Video Cube:

Scanline count corrected @ 262. The original game uses the high bit value for the background ($80)...so I had to fudge a few things when using the PAL option. Looks like it turned out alright :)

Tape Worm:

The player moves too slowly in the original game's lower variations (sometimes making it impossible to eat the apples before the beetle gets across the screen). A 7800-compatable routine added to toggle fast speed on (default) and off in the lower game variations. Scanline count corrected @ 262.

Note: This game is a pretty good candidate to turn into a Snakebyte clone ;)

Space Master X-7:

Original game uses the B&W switch as a pause feature. This has been updated so that the 7800 console is also supported. Scanline count has been corrected @ 262.

Crash Dive:

This colorful game uses "known" offset values that are frustrating to track down. When the sun is being drawn, the vector holding positioning values runs past $xFF7 (sharing the LSB of the START vector). I only needed to save 5 bytes, so I moved part of the "FUEL" text to the end of the program code and trimmed 5 bytes out of the code there (changing JMP's to unconditional branches). Needless to say, I also needed to track down and relabel stuff being used from page $FF. Not a big fan of headaches...so I left the rest as Distella marked it (aside from color values - which I also converted for PAL).

Corrections to older hacks:

Beat'Em & Eat'Em:

The SC still had the possibility of crashing with the original hack (RTS was next to the hotspot). This has been fixed.

Starmaster:

Using Thomas Jentzsch's reverse-engineered code, I hacked this game long ago to make the B&W switch compatable with the 7800 (little did I realize, that either difficulty switch could be used - the manual fails to mention it!). However, the 7800-detect boot routine still stepped onto a hotspot. Saving an additional byte, I updated it to work on the SC hardware.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre:

Another old one that's buried in the forums someplace. The original game uses an odd number of scanlines that changes once you begin. This has been fixed, and I added a bunch of color to it (as well as altering the forest to move along with the farmhouse).

Venture:

I can't recall making just a simple SC-compatable hack of the game that keeps gameplay and sprites unchanged...so I made this. Everything is the same as the original, except that the screen flashes red when you get killed (IMO it's a worthy addition, because it happens in the arcade version).

Air_Raiders.zip

Atari_Video_Cube.zip

Beat__Em_and_Eat__Em.zip

Crash_Dive.zip

Ocean_City_Defender.zip

Philly_Flasher.zip

Space_Master_X_7.zip

Spiderdroid.zip

Starmaster.zip

Tape_Worm.zip

The_Texas_Chainsaw_Massacre.zip

Venture.zip