IGNORED

Future N64 rares?

IMO, the N64 is still too new too really determine the rarity of most of the carts. I mean, right now, you can find N64 games everywhere. In the future what games do you guys think will be the real HTF carts?

I think Indiana Jones and the Infernal machine will be a future rare, considering it was only available at Blockbuster. Any others?

hmm aside from the BB exclusives what could really be a true rare on the N64? by rare i mean scarce, not highly sought after like paper mario. look at it this way-

small library of titles to begin with

every single game was licensed

all of the games came from major studios

all of the games were made for mass market retail, ie every title made for the N64 was on the shelves of your local gamestop at release

so where would rare games come from? even low selling titles had fairly large initial runs (see above) so theres no real scarcity. dont get me wrong, i'm collecting for the N64, up to 60some right now but its not like there are any tengen tetris or chase the chuckwagons to score on this system.

I am guessing the microphone pikachu game and the rumble pack/star fox combo box would be likely candidates for rareness. The limited edition japanese Mario Kart 64 box or gray/black controller could become rare. All those limited N64 colored editions, specially the one with the pikachu in it, could also become rare too.

Not much for rareness, but I have noticed RAM expansions go for more than they were sold at stores on ebay. Nintendo also sold/gave away promotional soundtrack audio cd's of some of their games (Mario 64, Mario Kart, SF64, Banjo, probably more). These were just recordings of the music from actual N64 hardware and came in cheap carton folds. Just last week I saw a Banjo Kazooie soundtrack CD go for $50 on ebay.

(I like the game but not that much).

There were two versions of castlevania.. Although I'm not sure which would qualify as rarer.

I'm still trying to figure out how out of all the N64 carts that I actually own the sports titles are the ones still with the boxes and manuals. :lol:

What's up with that?

Grab the Elmo's Numbers and Elmo's Letters games! There was a VERY small run for these 2 (For good reason... educational games don't sell well).

As for $$ VALUE - I'd safely guess Harvest Moon will be the highest $$. Simple reason was a small print run... even had a second print run in North America and still didn't meet demand. Values for this game will likely be huge in 10 years or so!

Just my 2 cents worth. :D

Paper Mario.  Still goes for way high on ebay.

i see plenty that sold for ~$20.

That's way high?

Other BB exclusives that I'm aware of included Blitz special edition, clayfighter sculptered edition, razor freestyle.

could be wrong, but believe duck dodgers, daikatana, and carmageddon were exclusives that eventually were full releases.

I did a little research and this is what I came up with so far for BB exclusives:

Doing a quick search on IGN64.com, I can confirm and add the following titles:

Beast Wars

Blues Brothers 2000

ClayFighter 63 1/3 Sculptor's Cut

Daikatana

Hercules: Legendary Journeys

Infernal Machine

Razor Freestyle Scooter

Stunt Racer 64

Track & Field

The following games were released at Blockbuster first and retail later:

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon