IGNORED

pics of old game companies ?

broncoman

I have an old Joystik mag that shows teeny pics of the Atari building and Starpath employees amongst others.

As a matter of fact... there are scans of it on the web. aah here it is! :

Starpath Staff

Atari HQ in Sunnyvale

What I found funny was the blurb about Nintendo at the end where the writer shows his uncanny videogame journalistic insight by predicting "Nintendo seems to believe that players still want another cute character game.... but it may be a little late".

We'd love to get pictures of these buildings to add to the information we have about individual companies. I have a few pictures of Atari's Sunnyvale headquarters that I took in the last year. Here's one of them, of 1196 Borregas Avenue. This was taken on my trip in June 2000 when I went out to interview with TiVo:

AtariSunnyvale.jpg

I've been meaning to compile a list of addresses in the Bay Area so I can make a drive by of all of them to take pictures (I'll be going back there soon for a visit).

..Al

In the early 80's, George Sullivan put out a book called ScreenPlay, the story of video games. I have a copy of it I got from the local school library. It had not been checked out in over 10 years (librarian gave it to me). Inside, there are photos of all the Activision and Imagic staff, as well as some shots of hardware used for graphic design at Atari and in Ralph Baer's studio. As for buildings, there is a shot of Andy Capp's Tavern. For those of you just joining the video game experience already in progress, this is where it all got big, kiddies. When Magnavox was hucking 100 buck gimmics, Nolan and Al were out there beating the pavement with a Pong machine. This is the tavern that they first tested the machine, and the coin mechs jammed full of quarters not long after they put it in. Sort of a dump, but hey, its humble roots, right?

There is a shot of Atari HQ, and a shot of the assembly line of Centipede machines.

If you can find this book, its good for some fun. Reading level is about third grade, so's evens me's cans reads its

If there is interest, I could scan the shots, I doubt there would be reprisal for my action by the author at this point in time....

Cassidy

They are black and white, BTW.

Well,

2 years ago I flew out to California and spent several days with my friend and former Atari employee Gary Rubio. We took photo's of nearly every Atari building, using a copy of a facilities map given to my by Lynn Kapotich who worked in Atari's Operations department I created an Interactive Map of Atari buildings, I still need to go back and finish it, but its got some great photo's of many of Atari's lesser known buildings. Plus included with some of the photo's are some interesting stories related to each building:

Interactive Map of Atari Buildings

Enjoy!

Curt

The Atari History Site

quote:

Originally posted by Curt Vendel:

[QB]2 years ago I flew out to California and spent several days with my friend and former Atari employee Gary Rubio. We took photo's of nearly every Atari building, using a copy of a facilities map given to my by Lynn Kapotich who worked in Atari's Operations department I created an Interactive Map of Atari buildings, I still need to go back and finish it, but its got some great photo's of many of Atari's lesser known buildings. Plus included with some of the photo's are some interesting stories related to each building:

Wow, that kicks ass! I'm going to be going back to Mountain View soon to move my remaining possessions to Texas, and I'd be glad to take the remaining pictures you're missing. I lived very close to this whole slew of buildings and drove by them every day to work along 237 (TiVo is only another two miles down the road past them). Let me know, as I'm definitely going to hit some of the other Atari-related companies that were in the Bay Area at the time (which must be half of them, easily).

..Al

The only game company I know that was in Michigan was K-Byte (K-Razy Kritters, K-Razy Shootout, K-Razy Antics, and K-Star Patrol). They were located in Troy Michigan, and I've been meaning to go take a look at thier old building if I'm in the area.

BTW if K-Byte doesn't sound familiar it's because they licensed most of their games to CBS. I believe they only released K-Razy Shootout for the Atari 400/800 under thier own label. Eveything else was released by CBS (K-Razy Shootout for the 5200 and all the rest were for the 400/800).

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

The only game company I know that was in Michigan was K-Byte (K-Razy Kritters, K-Razy Shootout, K-Razy Antics, and K-Star Patrol). They were located in Troy Michigan, and I've been meaning to go take a look at thier old building if I'm in the area.

If you do get out that way, please take some pictures of the building!

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

No Dice. I got the address off the cart, and it only says Troy MI. Anyone have the manual? It might have the address on it.

I'm looking at the 5200 K-razy Shoot-out manual now, and unfortunately all it say is this (on the inside cover page):

Program Copyright 1983 Kay Enterprises Co.

Program created by Dr. Keith Dreyer and Torre Meeder.

Programmed for CBS Electronics by Kay Enterprises Co., Troy, Michigan.

The back of the manual has:

CBS Toys, A Division of CBS Inc., Newark, NJ 07105

..Al

• 14 years later...