IGNORED

Handheld Emulated Lynx?

thund3r

I haven't seen any Lynx emus for handheld devices, though I can safely say that it would certainly be possible on most of the newest units (GP32, and most ARM/XScale-based Palm and PPC devices including Zodiac). Dunno how much of a homebrew dev scene there is for N-Gage.

I'm certain that if my little Zire72 can emulate a Genesis or Atari ST with no problems, Lynx would be a snap. It's just a matter of having someone port Handy (or whatever) to it. :-)

it's a port of Handy source code, i don't know if Tuscan is going to port it to other platforms or not. From my experience, and from an emulation stand point, i have an ipaq overclocked at 236mhz with 64mb of ram and my GP32 at 156mhz emulates any system i play a hell of alot better than my pocket pc.

Newer units with XScale processors ought to be able to handle it well enough though. (My Zire72 @ 312mhz stock has had no trouble running pretty well every emulator, and it has a good amount of heap space for the job)

Dunno how well the OMAP processor-based Palms will run emus, but from what I understand they do a respectable job, too.

you have to remember the Lynx had a pretty complex chip set though and is quite difficult to emulate. It was never thought that the GP32 would have any luck emulating it but now we finally have a very good Lynx emu. Thats what people said about MAME and we have a very good MAME emu now too ;)

I'm still waiting for a good MAME-type emulator for the Palm. Skeezix had a good start but it hasn't been updated in approximately forever. (There's rumblings of some new work afoot, though)

I'm still pretty sure Handy could be ported to ARM and XScale-based Palms and PPCs without too much difficulty.

Lynx is harder to emulate than the NES and the NES doesn't run that great on my pocket pc.

Depends on your PPC (processor and WinCE version). I have little experience with the PPC end of things, but my Zire72 has been able to emulate NES, GB/GBC/GBA, Genesis, Game Gear, Atari ST, TG16 and others with surprising agility (compatibility of present emu versions notwithstanding). I'd imagine lesser machines (OMAP-based Zire 71, T|T2, etc.) might find them rather slower, but most feature frameskip options to help alleviate that problem.

Now, I don't know what kind of overhead WinCE imposes on its handhelds, but if it's anything like your average Windows desktop then I'd imagine it's a factor in spite of processing power. IIRC though there are versions of DirectX for the latest PPC OS versions that I imagine help with such issues.

• 1 month later...
The N-Gage has a few emulators for it, but not a Lynx one. Right now, it's got  Sinclair Spectrum, NES, and C64 emulators.

heh reminds me of an april fools...

817320[/snapback]

That was my April fools joke from last year... Well not all mine.. I did the pictures of the " L-Gage" and then transfred them to my real n-gage for a snapshot.

Albert did all the text...

I liked the little joke... some thought it was stupid.. It was more wishfull thinking on my part... A lynx emulator on the n-gage would be great!!

The N-Gage has a few emulators for it, but not a Lynx one. Right now, it's got  Sinclair Spectrum, NES, and C64 emulators.

heh reminds me of an april fools...

817320[/snapback]

That was my April fools joke from last year... Well not all mine.. I did the pictures of the " L-Gage" and then transfred them to my real n-gage for a snapshot.

Albert did all the text...

I liked the little joke... some thought it was stupid.. It was more wishfull thinking on my part... A lynx emulator on the n-gage would be great!!

840276[/snapback]

man that joke was great! i was in shock at the time, and then i realised the date.. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Oooh, Palm version, that would be cool.

A GBA version would be cooler.

-S

The GBA isn't powerfull enough, even the GP32 can't handle it at 100%...

817072[/snapback]

I think it is. All Lynx emus seem to be ported or at least derived from Handy which is written in C. All the GBA emu's have to be written in assembler. The GBA's 16MHz ARM CPU is very nearly capable of emulating a PC Engine (about 80%) speed or so. Flubba one of the guys who did PocketNES (which is perfect) has previously expressed an interest in emulating the Lynx. I'm presuming he's done a feasibility study before mentioning it. The hard part of Lynx emulation would be the hardware sprite scaling and rotation but you can get the GBA's own hardware to do that - freeing up CPU. I believe it could be done, but the GBA emulation scene is pretty much over with the authors moving their sights to the DS and maybe the PSP. It's a shame really - would have been cool to play my old Lynx faves on my GBA. Still, I've got a PSP so it won't be long before Handy is ported I guess...

Edited by patters98

has nobody read what i've said already? The Lynx, even as old as it is, had very complex chip sets that are much harder to emulate than a regular NES or even PC-Engine and the only source code available is from Handy, which i've heard is a dog to try to convert over to another format other than PC. It is NOT easy to emulate the Lynx, the GP32 has a emu that is nearly 100% and that took almost 2 years of coding to try to get to where it is at and the GP32 is alot more power than the GBA. POCKETNES on GBA is perfect because your emulating a Nintendo system on a Nintendo System. Same with SNES, SNES on GBA shouldn't be possible, but its not that bad because the GBA is almost the same as a SNES and the extra hardware of the GBA allows for better SNES emu than say my 166mhz 8mb ram GP32.

Edited by kickinwing

has nobody read what i've said already?  The Lynx, even as old as it is, had very complex chip sets that are much harder to emulate than a regular NES or even PC-Engine and the only source code available is from Handy, which i've heard is a dog to try to convert over to another format other than PC.  It is NOT easy to emulate the Lynx,  the GP32 has a emu that is nearly 100% and that took almost 2 years of coding to try to get to where it is at and the GP32 is alot more power than the GBA.  POCKETNES on GBA is perfect because your emulating a Nintendo system on a Nintendo System.  Same with SNES, SNES on GBA shouldn't be possible, but its not that bad because the GBA is almost the same as a SNES and the extra hardware of the GBA allows  for better SNES emu than say my 166mhz 8mb ram GP32.

850536[/snapback]

It depends how you emulate. The Lynx uses a 6502 CPU IIRC, roughly the same as the NES. So the core is already largely done (from PocketNES). If you want to emulate the chipset then yes this will be complex, however if you use high level emulation (HLE) then you could get the GBA's hardware to do the sprite manipulation. I'll bet money that the GBA's hardware sprite features are a superset of the Lynx's. As for saying that the SNES is easy because it's Nintendo on Nintendo - this doesn't really apply. They're architecturally very different machines. I'd recommend you read some of the FAQs about SNES Advance.

I don't know anything about the emulator on the GP32 but I'd guess it's not written in assembler. Hmm, just looked - it's a port of Handy, therefore written in C.