IGNORED

Best graphics on the 2600?

txfds

Let's not forget Krull. :D I thought it had impressive and smooth graphics as well.

I'd agree with BattleZone having awesome graphics, and even E.T. but I'd say Solaris takes the cake. If you haven't seen Solaris yet...it's worth it. 8) I also think Pitfall 2 looked sweet. Activision really knew how to push the envelope on the 2600.

Moonsweeper. Great, multicolor graphics, and the scrolling moonscapes were awesome.

Oh yeah, Moonsweeper was one of many Imagic games that impressed me by how good it looked. Just about every Imagic game (except for the few crappy ones) was a joy to look at and listen to. Nice bright arcade style graphics.

Another one comes to mind- Pete Rose Baseball by Absolute looks and plays almost like the 7800 version, and could have easily competed with Colecovision's Super Action Baseball, had it been released at the same time. It would have definitely stopped the George Plimpton INTV ads from comparing Atari Home Run to Intv Baseball. It's hard to believe it's a 2600 game! Just about anything from Activision looks great, too.

Everyone's talking about Battlezone, but IMHO Robot Tank beats it to dust!

I agree... Robot Tank is superior to Battlezone in my book.

I still think Solaris is the best though. (But granted, I have a sentimental spot for it... as I've noted many times, including just earlier tonight, it was the game that kept me going with my 2600 when all my friends were into the NES.)

My vote for best-looking 2600 games is Keystone Kapers.  Not only is it hard to believe it's a 2600 game, it's even harder to beleive it was written by the same guy who did the hard-to-look-at Coleco Donkey Kong port!

I'd say keystone kapers has the best controls.

In my opinion, the best looking game on the 2600 is Escape From The Mindmaster. The wireframe 3D maze, with shields zipping across the corridors, is just too good. It's hard to believe that it's on the good ol' VCS.

That reminds me of Tunnel Runner. That is one game which is underrated for the most part but it looks awesome. I find it amazing at how fast that game zips along in later levels. I've not played Escape From the Mindmaster though, so I'm not sure how it compares to TR.