IGNORED

How long has your Jaguar passion run? How far has it to go?

justclaws

I got my Jag in 96 from a local video game store. Its been through some serious abuse like a body slam that broke teh on off button and my little brother taking it apart. I wanted on ever since I saw in a catalog from a store called Consumers Distributing in Canada but at that time its price was like $400!!!

Got my Jaguar including Cybermorph in March 2003, short after I began to collect Atari items :) I was impressed about Cybermorph - maybe because I had at this time only a 2600 and a NES and had never seen any Sony PS, Nintendo 64/GC, Sega DC or Micro$oft Xbox consoles working...

Today I've 30 Jaguar games - and it's not enough, I would have ALL of them :D

I have not posted here for ages, so it is my turn.

I am Jag fan from the nineties but was not able to buy it at that time.

I bought my 1st jag during Unconventional 2002 from Nick. Now I have 2 Jags (one with BJL), but still have not jagcd :(

Unfortunately I have not much time to play or try to program it. I most play one of these: Tempest 2k, AvP, Super Burnout, Missile Commander 3D, Rayman, Power Drive Rally.

I don't know exactly when I got my first jaguar, but it was around the time they were launching it in sweden.

I was very active in the atari community at the time, although only with ST/STE.

Me & a couple of friends saw the way atari put everything in the jaguar basket, and figured we could do our share, so we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.

Up until then my interest in consoles was non-existent. Sure, I had 2 when I was a kid, but I quickly ditched them once I found the wonders of your very own homecomputer.

Anyway, at that time, I was doing a lot of repairing, buying & selling atari computers, so I ended up selling jaguar aswell, but since supply was somewhat... unreliable, I more than once ended up selling my own system, accessories & games just to keep the fans happy.

I believe I even was one of the first in sweden to get the CD addon. My favourite games at that time was AvP, that completely sold me on the system, and Myst.

Eventually, supply dried up completely, and since I thought I would be able to get "my stuff" back I had sold everything I had to keep ppl happy.

By the time they got things straight and supply got online again, the momentum had been lost, and very few had any interest in buying stuff anymore.

So the years went by, until I stumbled upon a jaguar with a couple of games more or less by chance. This was about 3-4 years ago, and I ended up buying it.

Every now and then I manage to stumble over a couple of games, or make a few extra bucks that I can spend on ebay.

Now my "collection" has 2 jaguars, 1 CD addon, 42 games.

And I still has the jaguar demo-kiosk the swedish agent made for the launch in sweden. :) Although right now it's just collecting dust in a garage.

I got my Jaguar back in 94 i believe. So i've definitly been a fan of it for over 10 years myself :)

But I havent really played much of anything on it in months. Contribute that to being busy too much with school - that and my xbox is a large piece of entertianment ;)

but havent touched other systems in sometime as well.

its also kinda tough to play my Jag when my ProController is fucked up from i dont know wha tand i dont know how - i need a new one

maybe that'll spark the playtime again ;)

i think my interest is going to be around for a much longer time - love the jag and will always love the games :)

I picked up my Jag 10 years ago this very day. For $275, I got a package deal that included 1 Jaguar System with Cybermorph (1 controller, power supply, RF switch, all original packaging and manuals), 1 extra Jag controller, 1 Composite Video cable, and the following games (all CIB except Raiden): Alien vs. Predator, Cannon Fodder, Doom, Iron Soldier, Raiden, and Tempest 2000.

I went on to get most of the carts. I enjoyed getting great deals from the Tiger Direct packages and when KB Toys started to liquidate their Jag stock.

Every year I treat myself to a new game or two. It's a fun little system and I felt the some sort of weird customer loyalty in buying it when it came out.

(BTW, if anyone has a spare box and/or docs for Raiden, please drop me a PM.)

• 3 weeks later...

I got one in 1994, selling off my Lynx collection to play for it. I loved Tempest 2000, but other games for it were hit and miss. Iron Soldier is still pretty cool and I like Club Drive warts and all.

I ended up selling it for a Genny/32X setup when Checkered Flag sucked and Doom crashed on my Jag.

I later picked one up again used along with the CD add on. Tempest 2K is still my favorite on the system :)

Cheers,

Ben

I have wanted one for a number of years since 2001 or 02 when i first heard about it. I didnt buy one until recently though because i couldent find one at a decent price. But i got one for 25$ from jesusc and i even got cybermorph with it. To be honest i dont have much of a "passion" since i havent bought any games since then. Maybe after i buy my master system and some game boy and ds games i want i will pick up a few games. All i really want is the 2000 games and raiden since the rest look pretty crappy. So maybe this summer i could get a few games.

Edited by sega saturn x

My story. I got it in 1994 or 1995, then the CD drive a year or 2 later, I was only about 10 years old at the time, previously I had an Atari 2600, NES and SNES (although I'm too young to remember when it was popular, I still do love the 2600 by the way). At the time I thought it was a good decision; instead of waiting for the Playstation, Saturn or N64, I thought by getting the Jaguar, I'd have a "next-generation" console before all my friends and I really thought it was going to be the next big thing. Dissapointed, I stuck with it, playing just the SNES and Jaguar until 1998 before finally giving up and getting a Playstation (which was probably a bad decision, I wish I had got an N64). I lost almost all interest in games shortly after that, until 2002 when I got my GameCube, and it was Luigi's Mansion that reminded me just how great Nintendo are, and sparked off my interest in games again. Later I got an N64 to catch up on all I missed and before long I became a serious collector of all kinds of systems, also re-visiting the Jaguar in the last couple of years, I like it more than ever now.

I bought my Jaguar the first day it was out at Nobody Beats The Wiz in Queens NY for $250. Thank God it came with CyberMorph as that they had NO other games for it. All I needed to see was the Atari name and NOTHING could have stopped me from buying it. I ended up having to go to FAO to get Trevor McFur.

Sadly, I don't have my Jag hooked up right now. I really should as that I recently got a difgital projector and the thought of Tempest 2K on that is just too tempting. Maybe today...

Hi!

My story. I got it in 1994 or 1995, then the CD drive a year or 2 later, I was only about 10 years old at the time, previously I had an Atari 2600, NES and SNES (although I'm too young to remember when it was popular, I still do love the 2600 by the way). At the time I thought it was a good decision; instead of waiting for the Playstation, Saturn or N64, I thought by getting the Jaguar, I'd have a "next-generation" console before all my friends and I really thought it was going to be the next big thing. Dissapointed, I stuck with it, playing just the SNES and Jaguar until 1998 before finally giving up and getting a Playstation (which was probably a bad decision, I wish I had got an N64). I lost almost all interest in games shortly after that, until 2002 when I got my GameCube, and it was Luigi's Mansion that reminded me just how great Nintendo are, and sparked off my interest in games again. Later I got an N64 to catch up on all I missed and before long I became a serious collector of all kinds of systems, also re-visiting the Jaguar in the last couple of years, I like it more than ever now.

851052[/snapback]

Funny that you mention it, but when I finally decided to get one of the next gen machines (in 2002), it was only about a month after it came out here, but I knew that there was no other system for me than the gamecube. Maybe because I picked up a PSX before instead of an N64, so I figured, that I didn't want to miss all the great nintendo titles again. Anyway, one of the first games that I had was Luigi's Mansion too, and I was really imporessed by it in every way. When I picked it up, everybody told me it wasn't so great, but the level of design details was just amazing and the game was very much fun to play, even though it's a bit short.

Even today it was probably the best decision gaming wise that I could have made. Later I also picked up a PS2, but that's collecting dust most of the time.

Anyway, back to topic. I got my Jag in 1998 from a friend, who sold it to me, to get the money for a playstation. ;)

At that time I had my playstation already, but something about the Jag fascinated me. I think it simply was the cool design and look of it all. I also had some magazines that promoted the Jag (among them was EGM, I was just blown away by how much and how positive they talked about the Jag, maybe that changed later). Anyway, I couldn't wait to get a Jag. Later when I had it (with a few games, mostly average titles, but a also T2k and cybermorph and Raiden , which probably

were the best I had then) I finally heard about all the stuff that's going on online for the Jag. I was both sad and happy at the same time, because so many games I was originally hoping to get never came out (battlewheels for example) and others I wanted to get turned out to be quite bad. However I was very surprised about the die-hard fans and about many games that I never heard about before and that turned out to be great. (Battlemorph, IS1+2, Super Burnout, Missle Command 3D VR mode etc etc)

Regards, Lars.

Hmm... Born Atari =)

I First saw the Jaguar when visiting a friend. My first reaction when seeing T2K was "what the f**k is this crap??", then after playing the game... I spent the summer (94) picking berries and selling to collect the money needed to buy a Jaguar. One jaguar, AvP, T2K and one extra controller was the order... the cost was about 4500 SEK..

Then when I was hooked, I bought the new games as there were comming out... what a fool I'm been/(am) =)

But it's just now I started to develop on the jaguar after getting hold of a alpine board from nick at 1632systems. Actually got the board for some years ago, but It was not working. After month of testing a wierd memory fault was revield.... so I replaced the bad 2Mb with good 4Mb... nice ;-)

Ever since I ran into that "Barry Bankhead" website back when he was supposedly making games for the Lynx system, I accidently ran into that "Native" screenshot site at "JI2" just when I was looking up more info on the Atari Lynx. I've been wanting to make games for the Atari jaguar system ever since thus I've prepared a lot of composed music and art works in preparation. I really didn't get the system until around 2000 or 2001, but I've been keeping an eye on the Jag community a long time before then. To me it's mostly what the Jaguar represents future tense as far as development goes that's kept glued to the Jaguar more then anything else. :)

I bought my first Jaguar on release day at a small game store called Mega Games. I played Cybermorph for hours on end, thought it was the coolest thing ever for awhile. Then I got the next release which was Trevor McFur, all the while breathing excited breaths about the impending release of AvP....it took forever for this game to come out. I built up a small collection of about 11 games by the time the Playstation was released, and then I sold all my Jaguar stuff to buy a PSX.

In 2000 I decided to rekindle that Jaguar passion and bought a big collection on epay for a great price. I got a boxed Jag, boxed complete JagCD, and a bunch of complete games. Then I piecemealed a few more complete titles from epay, and came across a monster collection about 2 years ago which I bought(also on epay) in which I cherry picked the games, and kept the ones I needed, while selling all the duplicates. I now have 55 complete Jag and JagCD games, and I indeed enjoy it still and plan to never sell it unless circumstances are dire.

The Jaguar is an interesting piece of gaming history. It has some of the greatest games ever made on any console, and it has some of the worst ever made as well. It was made in an in-between era of gaming, where none of the systems were truly great and developers were experimenting too much, but the Jaguar has the best selection of games over the 32X, CDI, and 3DO. It's fun to play these games, and it's VERY fun to collect for because for most average game collectors, the Jaguar library is actually one that can be completed as its library isn't even 100 games.

Another thing about the Jaguar is the homebrew development, which I don't necessarily show much interest in, but I appreciate gamers who love this machine enough to make their own games. You don't see that on any consoles other than Atari consoles, and our fanbase while maybe smaller than some, is certainly awesome and dedicated.

but the Jaguar has the best selection of games over the 32X, CDI, and 3DO.

857122[/snapback]

I don't believe this news.

CDi yeah, i agree with that, 32X would be a very close tie, 3DO owns jaguar.

read this as flame bait if need be, but I'd be willing to make a comparison chart proving what I say.

but the Jaguar has the best selection of games over the 32X, CDI, and 3DO.

857122[/snapback]

I don't believe this news.

CDi yeah, i agree with that, 32X would be a very close tie, 3DO owns jaguar.

read this as flame bait if need be, but I'd be willing to make a comparison chart proving what I say.

859463[/snapback]

By all means, knock yourself out. But please start a new thread about it. No need for you and your buddies to derail yet another thread.

How long have you been a Jaguar fan?

When did you get yours?

Are you moving on, taking a break yet?

Since 1994. First saw it with Cybermorph demoing on it at B&C Computervisions in late '93 / early 1994. Didn't quite catch my eye then though.

I got my K model in November 1994 (year after launch) at Far North Atari in Fairbanks, Alaska. Month later I was playing AVP and month after that had Tempest 2k.

Still have my setup along with a M model and two Jag CD's. I mainly play with the 4MB Alpine dev system now and do repairs for people when I can (fixing Jagmodems, Alpines, and flash carts). Had to take a break for a bit though because of school (working on an engineering degree part-time while working for the Air Force; hitting 21 years in the service soon).

Been playing Xbox (not Xbox Live though; can't afford the cost for something I may not get to use often enough) from time to time (all work and no play...well you know). Love Burnout 3 and really looking forward to Midway Arcade Treasures 3 to get the San Francisco Rush 2049 games!

Glenn

Edited by atarifan49

I got my Jag off ebay in 2000. I wanted one ever sense my fiend brought one over he picked up during the Kay-Bee Toys clearence in 97, and I saw Tempest 2000. I bought one just to play T2K and AvP, which I had seen in stores back in the day.

I still play both games from time to time, and actually just dragged my Jag out of my office and hooked it up in the living room to play a bit more. I don't see much jag stuff in the wild here in Vermont unfortunetly, but I have nine carts so that keeps me pretty happy.

Still want to score a jag CD though.

i paid 249.99 for my jag, still have that one. ive gone through a few other ones also. bought the cd unit brand new for 199.99.still have my original one also.

i remeber spending 79.99 on cannon fodder.

correct me if im wrong.

819738[/snapback]

I too paid $250 for my Jaguar in 1993 and there was about 4 games available for it at launch. For me, it was love at first sight. Before my purchase I would read articles about the upcoming 64-bit powerhouse that was going to usurp the crown and obtain the keys to the kingdom and there was nothing Sega or Nintendo could about it. Aaah, the return of ATARI to it's rightful place at it's throne. Everytime I would open a magazine and read about it's specs and upcoming games I would salivate hypnotized at the pretty pictures I was seeing before me. My first few games with my purchase (besides the included Cybermorph which I love) was Dino Dudes, a fantastically fun puzzle game of logic, and Raiden, the awesome home translation of the arcade game. I never tired playing these games knowing that more we're on the way. I still own my original Jaguar as well as a couple more in backup and my collection continues to grow to this day for both the Jaguar and the JagCD Unit. I have an infinity the for Atari Jaguar that will never die and I will continue to remain on the scene looking for rumored games that were finished and never released or a homebrew for me to collect and savor. LONG LIVE THE ATARI JAGUAR!! :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust:

Edited by Atari_Jaguar

• 2 weeks later...

I sold off my massive Jaguar and JagCD collection back in 2001 to fund my current XBOX addiction, and I haven't looked back since, especially since Battlesphere didn't do it for me as I had hoped it would. I would like to play Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 again, but can wait for perfect emulation or a hardware re-issue. :|