IGNORED

How long has your Jaguar passion run? How far has it to go?

justclaws

Hi Atariowl!

Too bad to hear that, but I can understand it very well. You are not the only one who looses motivation from time to time. Actually most Jag developers do from time to time.

I think finding something that motivates you again is the important difference between a running project and a canceled one.

In my case it is the fact that I do my projects for myself in the first place and if something good comes out and other like it, even better.

So many people have lost motivation doing Jag stuff in the past and quit.

I just hope you will find some motivation again. I have been looking forward to your project a lot.

But as I said, I can't blame you for loosing motivation, as it often happened to myself and so many others as well. Some people find a way to get motivation again, like myself, but all this is just a hobby and it is supposed to be fun, if it isn't fun anymore, you should rather do something that is more enjoyable.

Sometimes a little break can also help.

Regards, Lars.

I got a Jag /Cd from Nick H in the summer of 2002 while waiting for CT60 with the intention of development.

Coding went moderately well, but motivation is totally absent these days. Can't think of a good reason to continue with the jag.

867164[/snapback]

Wow I don't know that you are working on a game for the Jag! :thumbsup: I have to agree with Starcat on this take a break from what you are coding on and try some other ideas that you might have can we see screen shots of what you have worked on? :cool:

I think that the more games released for the Jag, the more likely people will have a reasons to be motivated if they see that the system is getting a lot of support. One of the things about the Jaguar community that I think is needed is a boost in moral. I think I've come up with a millions reasons why I should program the Jaggy just to keep myself pumped up about programming the system and each time I write those reasons down just so I don't forget why I want to make games... It helps me to remember why I started in the first place.

I think that the more games released for the Jag, the more likely people will have a reasons to be motivated if they see that the system is getting a lot of support.  One of the things about the Jaguar community that I think is needed is a boost in moral.  I think I've come up with a millions reasons why I should program the Jaggy just to keep myself pumped up about programming the system and each time I write those reasons down just so I don't forget why I want to make games...  It helps me to remember why I started in the first place.

871289[/snapback]

Call me a cynic, but I can't think of ONE reason to program for the Jag instead of a more accessible, popular system like the GBA, PC, Linux, OSX, PSOne, or Dreamcast. What are some of your reasons for choosing this unpopular, underpowered, difficult-to-program system?

Call me a cynic, but I can't think of ONE reason to program for the Jag instead of a more accessible, popular system like the GBA, PC, Linux, OSX, PSOne, or Dreamcast.  What are some of your reasons for choosing this unpopular, underpowered, difficult-to-program system?

That's easy. First of all, most people who choose to develop for the Jag are Jaguar fans. And of course some people also think it is more interesting or challenging to do a game for a system with more limitations. Others might simply find the achitecture interesting or simply want the challenge of pushing this system to the limits. And there are also some who simply want to support the Jag in a way, as it never got really good support from Atari.

Of course you are right in some way...

If you want to reach the masses, PCs or newer consoles are much better choices I guess. If you want to make a game that impresses the average gamers or you want to make the game of your dreams and you do not care about what system you make it for, PCs and newer consoles are much better as well.

So I guess it's really just a question of liking the Jag / wanting to support it or finding it interesting / challenging to work on.

Regards, Lars.

So I guess it's really just a question of liking the Jag / wanting to support it or finding it interesting / challenging to work on.

Regards, Lars.

871519[/snapback]

It is a challenge.

But the jag is also very consistent.

It ALWAYS disappoints.

Everytime you think it can do something neat, its slower than you expect. That, and the tendency of the exact same code to run when it feels like it and not when it doesn't. Even from completely cold start.

Hi!

And the funny thing that no other Jag really behaves like yours (or mine) does ;)

Code that works perfectly fine for you is almost guaranteed to have problems on other Jags even if they are the same region and should be the same model.

Actually it's funny enough that there even is something like different models that behave differently. I guess it's a matter of believe, but I have so far not found any real prove that there is any jaguar model that has problems other models don't have. Or let me say it like this, I couldn't find any connection between the serial number on the units and possible problems with software.

Funny that ridiculous problems like that even appear, because on other systems you never need to worry about stuff like that.

There at least you know that, when something works, it works. Although the fact that our kitty can be moody shouldn't be a surpsrise.

But it is a challenge to develop games for it, I think that's something nobody can deny.

Regards, Lars.

Maybe that's the whole mystique about the Jaguar and that's the human will to conquer and overcome the challenge kind of like how people do in extream sports. Who in they right mind would want to bongy-jump off of a cliff or ride a mountain bike off deadman's incline; yet people do it anyway and it get's glamorized on TV. That's the way I like to think of myself when I'm brainstorming ideas for the Jaguar. Look out Tony Hawk, there's a new Jaguar programmer in town. :D

Hello,

Call me a cynic, but I can't think of ONE reason to program for the Jag instead of a more accessible, popular system like the GBA, PC, Linux, OSX, PSOne, or Dreamcast.  What are some of your reasons for choosing this unpopular, underpowered, difficult-to-program system?

Well it's not unpopular, with most of us here! Regarding underpowered, what

are you comparing it to? An Xbox I guess, from your signature... go figure...

the Jaguar was around from 1993. Difficult to program? Well yes, you bet it is.

However, the Atari 2600 is also very difficult to program - much more so, and

much less so, but people still love to do so, I suppose it's "because we can".

The Jaguar was unique at the time in allowing anybody to create games for

it, via some reverse-engineered information, and the JagServer modification,

and that's one thing that has kept me interested in it. I love to be able to do

a little programming on everything I buy, because at heart, I like to create.

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 16K in 1982, so I blame Clive!

If you just want to write a game, the only rational choice is the PC, with one

of the game languages like Dark Basic where game libraries are included. If

you want to create something for your Jaguar, you have no choice but to do

the irrational thing you describe. There's no Jaguar substitute for a Jaguar.

Cheers,

JustClaws.