IGNORED

KrokCom for OS X

SpiceWare

I'm still trying to find time to get my GUI-based KrokCom software released. It's written for Qt toolkit, and already compiles in Linux and Windows. It works fine in Linux, but Windows needs more testing. Adding support for OSX shouldn't be too hard, but I just can't a chance to work on it. The code is available at http://krokcom.sf.net, but you need to use Subversion to check it out. And it doesn't yet support multi-cart, only single carts. I would say I could finish it in about a week, but I'm tied up with the next major release of Stella.

I had always wanted to add a gui front end wrapper to Darrell's (Aka Spiceware) KrokCom for the Mac.

Maybe Ill get enough time since the summer is over. Especially if we get a Universal or Intel binary ;)

I'm still trying to find time to get my GUI-based KrokCom software released. It's written for Qt toolkit, and already compiles in Linux and Windows. It works fine in Linux, but Windows needs more testing. Adding support for OSX shouldn't be too hard, but I just can't a chance to work on it. The code is available at http://krokcom.sf.net, but you need to use Subversion to check it out. And it doesn't yet support multi-cart, only single carts. I would say I could finish it in about a week, but I'm tied up with the next major release of Stella.

I had always wanted to add a gui front end wrapper to Darrell's (Aka Spiceware) KrokCom for the Mac.

Maybe Ill get enough time since the summer is over. Especially if we get a Universal or Intel binary ;)

I suggest you wait on that a little while, to reduce the chance of duplicate work. I really am close to finishing the UI I spoke of above, and it does use SpiceWares code behind the scenes. If I could just get one solid week to work on it. The only question mark at this point is whether the Qt toolkit includes code for PPC-based Macs. I'll look into it.

I'd love to see an OS X-based GUI for KrokCom. :)

..Al

The GUI for it is about 70% complete. It's written in Qt, so the same code compiles in Linux, OSX and Windows. The other 30% of the GUI is the multi-rom tab, which I haven't started yet. Download/verify and autodetection of ROM type (based on code from Stella) is working fine. Still TODO is multi-cart ROM, and incremental download. Here's a snapshot of the Linux version as a WIP build:

post-1512-1252063873_thumb.png

Hopefully I can find some time to get this finished soon, but Stella seems to be taking every free moment I have available. Not to mention that work is starting up again, and I'm in the middle of residing my house and repairing some structural damage (all on my own, so that sucks even more time).

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgot about this project. In fact, I just spent the last day or two getting multicart support working. It's just that the 3.0 release of Stella took all my time, and then right after that I released version 1.0 of the HarmonyCart software. I really need to get some sleep :) Anyway, here are the latest pics from the Linux version:

post-1512-125546920628_thumb.png post-1512-125546921143_thumb.png

Note that the multicart tab isn't completely filled in yet, but the basic functionality is there (ie, it correctly creates a multicart image). Also, I've decided this app will be UNIX-based only (Linux and OSX included). I see no reason to create a Windows version, when one already exists. Finally, when I eventually do a release, I'll be immediately looking for someone to take over maintenance of the project. I have an extended loan of a KrokCart that has to be returned, so I won't be able to work on the software once I return the cart.

Here are the latest snapshots of the KrokCom for Unix software (from the Linux port). I've confirmed the OSX port works in Snow Leopard and downloads ROMs, and I'm waiting on feedback from another OSX user to see if everything is working for them as well. The only thing left to finish is incremental download, which is very close to being done. Barring any problems found in testing, I expect to do a 1.0 release sometime next week.

post-1512-125608427656_thumb.png post-1512-125608428336_thumb.png

Here are the latest snapshots of the KrokCom for Unix software (from the Linux port). I've confirmed the OSX port works in Snow Leopard and downloads ROMs, and I'm waiting on feedback from another OSX user to see if everything is working for them as well. The only thing left to finish is incremental download, which is very close to being done. Barring any problems found in testing, I expect to do a 1.0 release sometime next week.

post-1512-125608427656_thumb.png post-1512-125608428336_thumb.png

If you need more testers, let me know. Love to test stuff!

Here are the latest snapshots from the OSX version. I've mentioned in another thread that I'm moving my main development system to OSX with a new 27" iMac. So that means from now on, Stella, HarmonyCart and KrokCom versions for OSX will get more 'first-class' treatment. I won't be getting the system until November, though, so I don't know when I can do the actual 1.0 release of KrokCom. I'll try to find more time this coming week.

post-1512-125642894531_thumb.png post-1512-125642895279_thumb.png

Here are the latest snapshots from the OSX version. I've mentioned in another thread that I'm moving my main development system to OSX with a new 27" iMac. So that means from now on, Stella, HarmonyCart and KrokCom versions for OSX will get more 'first-class' treatment. I won't be getting the system until November, though, so I don't know when I can do the actual 1.0 release of KrokCom. I'll try to find more time this coming week.

Wow. Looks great on OS X! IS that running the same unix code?

This is truly great news to hear... (and congrats on the 27 incher. i envy you)

Edited by jchiar

Wow. Looks great on OS X! IS that running the same unix code?

This is truly great news to hear...

Yes, it's basically the same code. The UI code is exactly the same, and compiles anywhere that the Qt libraries are available (Linux, OSX, Windows). The serial port programming code is platform-specific, which was first developed for the HarmonyCart software. At its core, these applications are really quite simple; they're simply frontends to reading/writing the serial port. The hard part was finding cross-platform toolkits so I didn't have to maintain separate ports for each platform. Whenever possible, I always write platform-independent code, since I never know which platform I'll be using in the future. I really don't like to be tied to any one system :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost ready to do the first beta release of KrokCom for UNIX (which supports 32/64-bit Linux and 32-bit OSX). Everything is working perfectly for me in Linux, and I've received reports that things are going fine in OSX as well. I hope everyone can try this release out and help squash any remaining bugs. I want to get this software released and done, since I've been talking about it since last summer. I'm eager to get this (and HarmonyCart) out of the way so I can get back to my main project - Stella.

Anyway, check back here later this evening for the first beta release.

OK, here's the first beta release of KrokCom for UNIX. Please test and report any problems. If all goes well, I plan to do a final release next week.

LInux 32/64 bit binaries: http://www.cs.mun.ca/~stephen/krokcom_linux_0.9svn.tar.bz2

OSX DMG: http://www.cs.mun.ca/~stephen/KrokComOSX0.9_svn.dmg

Note that Linux users will need Qt4 installed. If you're running KDE, you'll already have it. Otherwise, you can install it from the distro repository. Also, the Linux binaries were compiled on Ubuntu 9.10, but they should work on any recent system.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I was expecting some feedback on the KrokCom software by now, but I still haven't heard anything. I'd like to get this software completed and released, so I can get back to working on Stella and HarmonyCart. So if you're interested in this software, please provide some feedback.

It just says Krokodile Kart Not Found. I am working with a verified good power supply and a USB-->serial adapter that works with the PC. Am I missing something? I tried to use the Device-->Connect menu but that did not help either.

Running Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro.

OK, I was expecting some feedback on the KrokCom software by now, but I still haven't heard anything. I'd like to get this software completed and released, so I can get back to working on Stella and HarmonyCart. So if you're interested in this software, please provide some feedback.