IGNORED

KrokCom for OS X

SpiceWare

OK, I was expecting some feedback on the KrokCom software by now, but I still haven't heard anything. I'd like to get this software completed and released, so I can get back to working on Stella and HarmonyCart. So if you're interested in this software, please provide some feedback.

Sorry - I've been moving stuff around, and have yet to reconnect my 2600. As soon as I do, I'll test the software again.

OK, I was expecting some feedback on the KrokCom software by now, but I still haven't heard anything. I'd like to get this software completed and released, so I can get back to working on Stella and HarmonyCart. So if you're interested in this software, please provide some feedback.

Sorry Stephana,

My powersupply for my Atari appears bad, so I cant get my krok cart to work. Anxiously waiting delivery of my replacement.

Ill get back asap..

It just says Krokodile Kart Not Found. I am working with a verified good power supply and a USB-->serial adapter that works with the PC. Am I missing something? I tried to use the Device-->Connect menu but that did not help either.

Running Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro.

You need to install driver software for the USB-Serial adapter; the OS normally won't find the device on its own. And without the drivers, KrokCom won't find the virtual serial port, and the KrokCart won't be 'seen'.

Ugh. OK, I am going to go with the "it's the serial adapter" answer. So I tried to download a driver. This one (http://sourceforge.net/projects/osx-pl2303/) did not work and once it got into the mumbo-jumbo about ktext files and all I was kind of confused. I tried doing searches with the number that's on my adapter (HL-340) and nothing but a bunch of German sites came up with PC drivers. So, that's where I stand--I'd love to help test, but I'm stuck at this stage. And, to be honest, I'd probably just keep using the PC Krok Commander rather than invest in a new adapter.

It just says Krokodile Kart Not Found. I am working with a verified good power supply and a USB-->serial adapter that works with the PC. Am I missing something? I tried to use the Device-->Connect menu but that did not help either.

Running Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro.

You need to install driver software for the USB-Serial adapter; the OS normally won't find the device on its own. And without the drivers, KrokCom won't find the virtual serial port, and the KrokCart won't be 'seen'.

Ugh. OK, I am going to go with the "it's the serial adapter" answer. So I tried to download a driver. This one (http://sourceforge.net/projects/osx-pl2303/) did not work and once it got into the mumbo-jumbo about ktext files and all I was kind of confused. I tried doing searches with the number that's on my adapter (HL-340) and nothing but a bunch of German sites came up with PC drivers. So, that's where I stand--I'd love to help test, but I'm stuck at this stage. And, to be honest, I'd probably just keep using the PC Krok Commander rather than invest in a new adapter.

Did a little searching - maybe this driver will work:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/pl2303usbtoserialdriver.html

Let me know if it does, because I see that this particular chip is very common and maybe it will be a better fit for future Harmony carts (the current FTDI chip is expensive, and overkill for the application.)

EDIT: The PL-2303 chip has exactly the same package and pinout as the FTDI chip used in Harmony! That can't possibly be a coincidence. I wonder if they are the same chip but with different printing on the top. If the above driver does not work, try the FTDI driver.

Edited by batari

My only experience is with adapters that use the FTDI drivers (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm). There are probably many adapters out there that have drivers for Windows only. In those cases, there's nothing I can do about it on my end. KrokCom for UNIX is only meant to let you program the KrokCart. Having the OS actually see that serial port is outside the scope of KrokCom.

I do understand that it's easier to keep using the software that works. Truth be told, I don't expect there to be a large user-base for this software. There are probably less than 50 people that will use it, especially since the HarmonyCart has been released. I'd just like to receive feedback from at least 3-4 people before posting version 1.0.

Edited by stephena

Works great! Created a multicart 4k no issue.

11/12/09 7:01:51 PM [0x0-0x1fd1fd].com.yourcompany.KrokCom[4849] Setting NTSC multicart menu type.

11/12/09 7:01:51 PM [0x0-0x1fd1fd].com.yourcompany.KrokCom[4849] Multicart has 17 menu entries.

11/12/09 7:01:51 PM [0x0-0x1fd1fd].com.yourcompany.KrokCom[4849] Writing to file: '/Users/joe/MC4K.a26' ... wrote out 73728 bytes

11/12/09 7:01:51 PM [0x0-0x1fd1fd].com.yourcompany.KrokCom[4849] Reading from file: '/Users/joe/MC4K.a26' ... read in 73728 bytes

11/12/09 7:01:51 PM [0x0-0x1fd1fd].com.yourcompany.KrokCom[4849] Bankswitch type: MC4K (auto-detected)

11/12/09 7:01:51 PM [0x0-0x1fd1fd].com.yourcompany.KrokCom[4849] Cartridge is valid.

11/12/09 7:02:13 PM [0x0-0x1fd1fd].com.yourcompany.KrokCom[4849] Normal download mode, 288 / 288 sectors are changed.

This was the console log.. Thanks Stephana!

If anyone needs help with getting the adapter to work, look under about this mac.

Should get this under the usb section:

Keyspan USA-19H :

Product ID: 0x0121

Vendor ID: 0x06cd

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc.

Location ID: 0xfd530000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not having any luck with the USB side of things. I have purchased two (different) USB-serial adaptors, and they both show up OK when plugged into the USB port. Looking at the system details...

553980624_ScreenShot2019-10-23at2_43_09pm.thumb.png.51a9a7f83b9bc403f3152b2f4926e714.png

When I look at /dev I see...

565330764_ScreenShot2019-10-23at2_46_14pm.png.3edde0ab1c67926575d47f81616fadde.png

The 'tty.usbserial-1420' appears and disappears when I plug in the USB/serial cable. SO I'm sure that's the right one.

I would expect to see 'tty.usbserial-1420' in the list of ports in krokcom, but it doesn't pay any attention at all to that one.

All i see is the bluetooth one.

Any ideas?

Could it be that it's on the USB3.0 bus, and krokcom only looks/understands the 2.0 bus?

Edited by Andrew Davie

I'm unable to use my Krok Cart as I can't find a driver for my old USB to Serial adapter. Which adapter are you using?

There is a newer utility, Krokodile Command for Unix, that runs on a Mac.

1301888626_ScreenShot2019-10-23at3_36_23PM.thumb.png.791a3db0afa33f19c88295b61b785a93.png

Source for it is here though I don't see a makefile or XCode project for it, nor do I see a prebuilt version.  Maybe with @stephena can help with that. In the meantime I've zipped the version in my Applications directory, maybe that'll work for you:

KrokCom.app.zip