IGNORED

Atari 2600 emulator for the Jaguar

Curt Vendel

Here is the source code to the 2600 emulator for the Jaguar. As I understand it, it was never fully finished, so perhaps someone will undertake it completion and create a fully working version and post the ISO image up for everyone to D/L, CD Encrypt and make their own 2600 emulator CD's for the Jag, enjoy.

Curt

2600_emulator.zip

Here is the source code to the 2600 emulator for the Jaguar.    As I understand it, it was never fully finished, so perhaps someone will undertake it completion and create a fully working version and post the ISO image up for everyone to D/L, CD Encrypt and make their own 2600 emulator CD's for the Jag, enjoy.

Curt

Hey Thanks Curt! Someone might get this running for the Jag I hope! :D

Hello Curt,

Here is the source code to the 2600 emulator for the Jaguar.    As I understand it, it was never fully finished, so perhaps someone will undertake it completion and create a fully working version and post the ISO image up for everyone to D/L, CD Encrypt and make their own 2600 emulator CD's for the Jag, enjoy.
Thanks again for everything you do for the Atari community. :D

Regards,

Richard/JustClaws.

Thanks Curt!  Will be interesting to see what develops as a result of this source code.  Would be great someday to have a Jaguar CD full of Atari 2600 games, selectable through a nice menu and enjoyed with the Jaguar Controllers.  :)

..Al

You what would be cool if it was up and running to have an AA JagCD having all the 2600 hacked games and with all the 2600 Homebrews! 8)

Curt, that's an awesome find! I've been wishing for several years to find somebody to help out with the VVCS Jag code I have, since I have little knowledge of the 2600 hardware and no time to learn it these days. I hope this encourages some people with cross-platform skills to pick up this project!

Is there a way to maybe post this to sourgeforge or something, so that maybe it'll get the right attention, I also need to post the GPU26 sources to go with the emulator...

Glenn Bruner mentioned that Dave Staugas ran into some roadblocks in finishing this emulator, so I would think in todays environment with 10 years of knowledge of the console and its workings, perhaps this emulator could fully see the light of day?

Curt

Hello!

Is there a way to maybe post this to sourgeforge or something, so that maybe it'll get the right attention, I also need to post the GPU26 sources to go with the emulator...

Glenn Bruner mentioned that Dave Staugas ran into some roadblocks in finishing this emulator, so I would think in todays environment with 10 years of knowledge of the console and its workings, perhaps this emulator could fully see the light of day?

I think making a post about it on the STELLA-mailing list would be helpfull.

IMHO the VCS is a quite challenging device to be emulated, with its screen-layout and the various bankswitching-variations, but the poeple on the Stella-list are quite smart and helpfull.

Best regards

Matthias

As mentioned This is cool! =)

qurious though, I remember reading something about that ..due to the way the coder choose to code the emulator, when he later got into trouble because of that, he abandoned the project... ...ie it was a bad start to begin with ...ie perhapps not the best start now either?...

Im just qurious... anyone know more about this, WHAT exactly happened, what problem caused him to feel that it was not worth continuing? and so on... (the more technical details the better! =)

I know ...well... absolutely Nada about the 2600... but given a problem I can most sertanely pick the best way the jaguar would solve it on... so.. =) if someone could explain what the 2660 does?..... (got the feeling it was like the "BIG Border scrollers" on the STE.. ie using some timers to draw... or? (perhapps the above problem wasnt screen related..?)

Would be SuperCool though to have Indy500 running on the Jag!!!!!! =) ..though then we would need Paddles!!!!! =)

cheers & Thanx 4 src!

/Sym

Hello,

As Carl pointed out, finding somebody with the right kind of knowledge

to continue this program will be a major task in itself, but a team could

do a better job. The team though needs to be skilled, and not just a

group of enthusiasts unfortunately. You need firstly knowledge about

the 2600, and then secondly knowledge about the Jaguar. Squeezing

the last ounce of power from the Jaguar, to create something which

runs adequately on a system itself now emulated, that's a challenge!

To think that Dave Staugas was working on the emulator alone (and

to think of the work of all the other emulator authors on all the other

platforms) just underlines how skilled he and the other people are.

I'd love to think I could help, but I know my limitations all too well,

and so I suppose remakes of the classic 2600 games would fare

much better, the effort required could be nicely redirected to set-

up a nicer set of libraries for creating "look-alike" Jaggy games.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Curt, that's an awesome find! I've been wishing for several years to find somebody to help out with the VVCS Jag code I have, since I have little knowledge of the 2600 hardware and no time to learn it these days. I hope this encourages some people with cross-platform skills to pick up this project!

Just curious, is this the same code you already have, or is it a separate project? If it's the same, do you have any rights to produce it in commercial form if you follow it to completion? Can someone post a brief history of this project? :)

..Al

Just curious, is this the same code you already have, or is it a separate project?  If it's the same, do you have any rights to produce it in commercial form if you follow it to completion?  Can someone post a brief history of this project?  :)

..Al

Sorry I didn't clarify. Several years ago I purchased the source code and associated rights from a third party developer who was working on a Jaguar project called Virtual VCS. They got the emu working at about 40% completion or so; no audio and no collisions, for example, but it does display playfields and you can select game variations and move around the screen on several different games.

So, yes, I do have rights to commercially produce a 2600 emu based on the VVCS code, although of course it could not include any unlicensed ROMs. But on a more practical note, I don't have the time nor the 2600 skills to finish this project on my own, so it's been a moot point for the last few years. ;)

This is not the same source as what Curt posted (from what I understand)... I believe Curt has posted the in-house emu project from Atari. I think most Jag fans had thought this code was lost, so it's a very cool find! I would love to see a 2600 emu available on the Jag regardless of which project it's based on. That would make it the ultimate Atari system in my book. :D

anyone who knows a good "2600 HW specs" ..out there? ..what it can do and not (the more technical the better.... ST internals comes to mind... HW registers and what they do? ..basic principle of sound & picture creation?....

Im just going to have a look =) ...for the fun of it.. (since i know nada about the 2600.. except that the games have nostalgic gameplay).

Hello,

anyone who knows a good "2600 HW specs" ..out there? ..what it can do and not (the more technical the better.... ST internals comes to mind... HW registers and what they do? ..basic principle of sound & picture creation?....
We need to bring some of the Atari 2600 guys into this, the experts.

This is a project where fans from both forums could really collaborate!

The only emulator I've ever written was application level, emulating

the user interface and behaviour of AS-400 email on a PC network. :)

Then I emulated API functions of a mainframe for emulated apps...

None of that helps whatsoever with a 2600 on a Jag, so I'm no help. :(

I'm certainly willing to do anything I can though if somebody creates

a project somewhere like Yahoo, on a similar vein to Jag-Dev-Doom.

(That's a project which proves just how hard making progress can be.)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hello,

i can't get something running on my BJL-Jag, i only get a stable black-screen, no sound. I looked into the MAKEFILE of the GPU26-ZIP and it says it should run from $5000, there should be something like a menu at the start i guess (the GPU26.S has a table for joypad key-mapping to several VCS-binaries which are included).

So Jason, which file did you upload and to which address?

Bye!

Matthias

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Just curious if there has been any more work / research / etc. done on this?

A question for those of us without alpines (and might encourage further work on this) what would it take to get this working on the BJL setup, or as a CD image?