IGNORED

Atari baseball bat?

the 5th ghost

I wonder how many other sporting good related items were put out by the promotions or marketing departments.

Well you can add this one to the ever growing list.

I guess Atari must of really loved Pittsburgh!

Check this auction out!

838455[/snapback]

Atari probably would have LOVED Pittsburgh in 1979-1980 seeing that the Pirates won the WS in Oct. 79 and the Steelers won their 4th Super Bowl in Jan. 1980. We were the city of champions and the economy was nothing short of booming! However, that was probably the last of the glory days for Pittsburgh sports/economics aside from the glimmers of hope in the early 90s. Shortly after the 80 Super Bowl, the steel industry collapsed and everyone moved away. For a while there, this market was HUGE and loaded with disposable income all things being equal.

Now, however, the city is simply rusting away .... however, our stadiums totally kick ass!!! (sarcasm) I think 17 people showed up at PNC Park the other day ... In fact, if you want to bid on the 66 story USX Tower (that Tah-wer in dahn-tahn), you can! From what I understand, they might be shutting it down soon! You can probably get it cheap, but the taxes will murder you.

I love it here since its my home, but I'll probably be moving later this year since the job market for chip designers SUCKS! That should allow someone to get even more games at the Eastland flea market and thrift stores in the South Hills :)! I felt like Sum Guy that one day when I nabbed a 5200 Do's Castle at a thrift I hadn't been to in years.... :) Also found a Waterworld at Eastland a year or two ago in a box of games for $10 (beware of the crazy woman that lurks indoors selling games)!

At any rate, nice find! If you want to sell it, PM me :)! It'd be nice to have a Mad Dog bat with an Atari logo...he was a steal from the Cubs!

Ed

838925[/snapback]

Of course, Eastland has shut down its flea market :sad:

I actually liked that "crazy woman." I picked up many nice items from her and her prices for the most part were very reasonable. She traded me a ton of boxed Sears games a few months ago for some of my NES stuff. The best though, was the day I found a boxed Chuckwagon outside and took it inside to show her

:lol: Man was she pissed that she missed it! She was a nice lady though, I'll miss her.

I'm sure you beat me to some cool thrift store finds Ed, but I can't complain about the finds I beat you to! :) :D

I wonder if we ever passed each other in the thrifts?

Eastland shut down?!?!?!!? I didn't know that! Where's the big Burgh market now? I was going to head out there this morning! I had heard that they were going to demolish that "mall", but I didn't know that it spelt the end of the flea market!

As for the crazy lady, she was cool at first, but recently she'd start whipping out her price guide every time I asked about a game. The last straw was the $18 she wanted for a Picnic. After that episode, I simply never stopped by there. I don't mind paying a fair price, and I can totally understand making a buck, but $18 for a loose Picnic? Moreover, a guy was trying to return a broken Atari to her once that he bought just the week before. She was screaming that a diode in the machine wouldn't let her "fairly" test the machine at her stall due to all of the interference. I was going to interrupt, but I simply let bygones be bygones in that case. I lost a lot of respect for her after that since she always claimed to have a return policy. Oh well, the last thing I got was a boxed Intv. Nova Blast for $2 a couple of years ago...

That's cool you nabbed a boxed Chuckwagon ... you &^%$# ;) I about died when I found Waterworld there (with 2 sets of docs) . I've also nabbed a few Vectrex items there over the years as well as a pile of rare Intellivision stuff. It was the last flea that had more "people" than "career vendors" if you know what I mean :)! I'll miss that place.

Oh well, hope to see you around :)! I plan on trading a lot of stuff soon ... LMK what you're looking for via a PM :)!

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Madlock

Born: January 2, 1951

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/...d?playerId=8436

YEAR TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA

1973 TEX A 21 77 16 27 5 3 1 5 7 9 3 2 .351

1974 CHI N 128 453 65 142 21 5 9 54 42 39 11 7 .313

1975 CHI N 130 514 77 182 29 7 7 64 42 34 9 7 .354

1976 CHI N 142 514 68 174 36 1 15 84 56 27 15 11 .339

1977 SF N 140 533 70 161 28 1 12 46 43 33 13 10 .302

1978 SF N 122 447 76 138 26 3 15 44 48 39 16 5 .309

1979 PIT/SF * 154 560 85 167 26 5 14 85 52 41 32 11 .298

1980 PIT N 137 494 62 137 22 4 10 53 45 33 16 10 .277

1981 PIT N 82 279 35 95 23 1 6 45 34 17 18 6 .341

1982 PIT N 154 568 92 181 33 3 19 95 48 39 18 6 .319

1983 PIT N 130 473 68 153 21 0 12 68 49 24 3 4 .323

1984 PIT N 103 403 38 102 16 0 4 44 26 29 3 1 .253

1985 LA/PIT * 144 513 69 141 27 1 12 56 49 53 10 4 .275

1986 LA N 111 379 38 106 17 0 10 60 30 43 3 3 .280

1987 DET/LA * 108 387 61 102 18 0 17 57 34 50 4 3 .264

• 13 years later...

I recently aquired an unusual Atari releated item, I'v never seen one before.

It's a baseball bat, Pro Louisville Slugger, with the Atari logo printed at the fat end next to Bill Madlock's signature and Pittsburgh Pirates logo.

I'm guessing this is from the early 80s. Does anyone else have one, or from a different team? What's the story with this bat?

Thanks for any input icon_smile.gif

Just wanted to update this thread. I recently bought one of these Pirates / Madlock bats. I was reading this thread and decided to contact the Pirates to see if they had any information on it. Unfortunately, they didn't. But while I was online, I noticed that similar Atari bats were made for San Francisco Giants players as well (i.e. Jack Clark, Joe Morgan & Chili Davis). So I decided to contact the Giants. The organization was able to confirm that the Jack Clark bat was a giveaway during the "Atari Bat Day" promotion at a Giants home game on Sunday, June 27, 1982 against the Padres.

So if at least one of the Giants bats was given away during a bat day promotion, maybe the Pirates one was as well. Hope this helps.

• Like 6

There is a Jack Clark bat on ebay for only $26 BIN right now. That is a hell of a deal. While Jack is the most common bat it's still worth a good clip more than that. There was a Chili Davis which I bought yesterday and a Joe Morgan which a friend of mine bought as well. Another Joe Morgan is up for $80 OBO which is pretty good as it goes for $75 to $100 from what I've gathered in the past. Both the Davis and Mogran bats command a premium over the Clark. I assume it's cause the Clark saw more exposure and use in the giveways than the Davis and Morgan did.

• Like 3

There is a Jack Clark bat on ebay for only $26 BIN right now. That is a hell of a deal. While Jack is the most common bat it's still worth a good clip more than that. There was a Chili Davis which I bought yesterday and a Joe Morgan which a friend of mine bought as well. Another Joe Morgan is up for $80 OBO which is pretty good as it goes for $75 to $100 from what I've gathered in the past. Both the Davis and Mogran bats command a premium over the Clark. I assume it's cause the Clark saw more exposure and use in the giveways than the Davis and Morgan did.

Many thanks to Shawn for posting the auction link for the Joe Morgan bat. :thumbsup: I picked it up for $70. Been after a JM bat for a while and just like the auction stated, this bat is near mint.

post-21941-0-73563100-1551903029.jpg post-21941-0-38648500-1551903040.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 3/15/2005 at 1:32 PM, the 5th ghost said:

I recently aquired an unusual Atari releated item, I'v never seen one before.

It's a baseball bat, Pro Louisville Slugger, with the Atari logo printed at the fat end next to Bill Madlock's signature and Pittsburgh Pirates logo.

I'm guessing this is from the early 80s. Does anyone else have one, or from a different team? What's the story with this bat?

Thanks for any input :)

Well, here's the definitive story behind the bat.  I found the information in an old Pirates scorebook.  The bat was indeed a giveaway at Three Rivers Stadium during a Pirates home game.  The game took place on Sunday, May 16, 1982 when the Pirates faced the Cincinnati Reds.  The first 20,000 kids (14 and under) attending the game received the bat.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Yesterday, a different Atari promo bat surfaced on eBay.  It was a Darrell Evans (San Francisco Giants) bat.  I had never seen this one before.  From my experience, a total of 5 of these Atari promo bats have surfaced, to date.  For the Giants, there are bats in the name of Jack Clark, Joe Morgan, Chili Davis, and now, Darrell Evans.  And for my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates, there's the Bill Madlock bat.

I wonder if there are Atari promo bats in the name of any other players.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Just got the Evans one, thanks to JayAre.  That one is really rare.

Beautiful picture.

Hadn't noticed this before, but there are three different bat lengths.  Could it be that they were made according to the bat lengths that these players used during their careers?  If so, that's pretty nice attention to detail.

Congrats on the collection, Wiz.

Edited by JayAre

14 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Beautiful picture.

Hadn't noticed this before, but there are three different bat lengths.  Could it be that they were made according to the bat lengths that these players used during their careers?  If so, that's pretty nice attention to detail.

Congrats on the collection, Wiz.

I assume the same thing, notice also, how one of them doesn't have the text under the Atari logo.  That one also doesn't match the colors of the other ones, but that one has been used.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I assume the same thing, notice also, how one of them doesn't have the text under the Atari logo.  That one also doesn't match the colors of the other ones, but that one has been used.

Cheers.

Good observations.  I hadn't noticed that.

22 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Hadn't noticed this before, but there are three different bat lengths.  Could it be that they were made according to the bat lengths that these players used during their careers?

That top one seems pretty small for a major leaguer. These were intended for kids. I wonder if all of them came in assorted sizes.

• Like 1