IGNORED

XBOX Modding and gaming....

EricDeLee

Okay... I've played an XBOX ONCE. Only once. Seems cool but I never got into it. Some guy is wanting me to buy the parts, and mail everything to him so he can mod it for me. Cost: $100

Not really sure what to do as I don't know anything about XBOX. He stated that a 200 G HD would hold MANY MANY games that I rent from ol' blockbuster. Can you all steer me to a good place to read up on this stuff or at least give me some advice or pointers. I'd love to have a decked out XBOX and many games for it if possible. I'd rather spend the money on the console and 'fixing it up' rather than the games (Call me a cheapskate) LOL

Well... the way I look at it: I'm not a huge XBOX fan, but I like the fact that I can do OTHER things with it (Store music and I guess play NES titels etc.) I just want another 'fun toy'... nothing to try to copy games and then sell a profit for. That isn't my type of idea when it comes to making a profit.

I just wanna have a little fun... that's all.

Does the $100 include the HD? If not, that's pretty overpriced.

But anyway, apart from the costs, I'd absolutely recommend modding your xbox if you're into emulation. It's got near to perfect emulation for most of the popular platforms, from Genesis to NES to SNES to Arcade to Amiga to 2600 to name a few.

Also, IMHO it further more gives you the best multimedia centre platform available to date using XBMC (xbox media centre). Among other cool things, it contains the best media player available. Without the need to install any codecs it plays about ANYTHING you throw at it. You don't even need to burn anything on cd or dvd to view a media file, you just stream them from your server on which you dl'ded them. Or ftp them to your xbox. Hell, you can even get live weather reports, view new movie trailers streaming from the net or play xbox games online without having to use (&pay) for xbox Live. And yes, it plays every game backup as well.

(I seriously suspect MS copying a LOAD of XBMC features for their upcoming Windows media centre edition or their xbox 2 for that matter).

I also expect there's going to a SERIOUS demand for modded boxes once MS has revoked the remaining stocks when they're about to release xbox2.

Before making this move, I suggest you experience XBMC (http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/) at someone's setup. You'll be amazed.

So can you play NES, SNES Gameboy games and all of that on there???  That would be a great thing as well!

And 2600, Gamegear, Megadrive, NEOGEO, MAME...

There is ALOT of emulation that can be done.

The controllers feel so much better than a keyboard.

I think you should do it for the emulation (do not steal games, that is not even cool).

And, I just found out, that a modded xbox can (or is) be region free, so you can import games as well.

But anyway, apart from the costs, I'd absolutely recommend modding your xbox if you're into emulation. It's got near to perfect emulation for most of the popular platforms, from Genesis to NES to SNES to Arcade to Amiga to 2600 to name a few.

Also, IMHO it further more gives you the best multimedia centre platform available to date using XBMC (xbox media centre).  Among other cool things, it contains the best media player available. Without the need to install any codecs it plays about ANYTHING you throw at it.  You don't even need to burn anything on cd or dvd to view a media file, you just stream them from your server on which you dl'ded them.  Or ftp them to your xbox. Hell, you can even get live weather reports, view new movie trailers streaming from the net or play xbox games online without having to use (&pay) for xbox Live. And yes, it plays every game backup as well.

(I seriously suspect MS copying a LOAD of XBMC features for their upcoming Windows media centre edition or their xbox 2 for that matter).

I also expect there's going to a SERIOUS demand for modded boxes once  MS has revoked the remaining stocks when they're about to release xbox2.

Before making this move, I suggest you experience XBMC (http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/) at someone's setup. You'll be amazed.

I would venture to say many of these "features" will be part of the next xbox. I plan to get a third box soley for the media center aspect. I wouldn't dare mod my limited edition Halo box. Though maybe one of those DOA boxes... :love:

Something to consider, if you mod your Xbox, I don't believe you can play Xbox Live.

That is somewhat of a misnomer. You can in fact play on LIVE, you simply have to switch off the chip and have the correct bios, locked HD, etc.. I don't think you can play backed up copies on LIVE though because the chip has to be on to play games of the HD.

You pretty much need the original disc to play on live.

My xbox is old school modded with a first generation modchip. So I just leave it open so I can just swap out the hd (to the original one which I put back in factory condition) and flip some dipswitches on the chip. That's how I play SF2 Anniversary on live. It's a hassle, but works fine for me. Especially since I completely forgot how I modded mine (it's a ver 1.0) and would be completely lost how to do it in todays models :P

So I could mod my xbox to play emulation and not worry at all about XBL?

:ponder:

Yes. That's pretty much exactly how I've been since I modded mine. Xboxlive wha? It's only sf2 anniversary that broke me out of that shell this past month :D

But for the past 4 years, it's been xbox for emulation pretty much PURELY. :P

So I could mod my xbox to play emulation and not worry at all about XBL?

:ponder:

I have an Xbox with a 100GB HD that's been chipped for a couple years now and play on Live all the time with it. I wouldn't do that with the new 1.6's as there is something like power is always on to the chip so if MS starts checking LPC points you'll get a ban. Just use an old box so you don't have to worry.

So, more specifically, I could use mame on my xbox and still play XBL? Will I have to switch things around like NE146's? Not quite sure which model I have - I'll check when I get home..

No, you wouldn't have to do that with the current generation chip. You run into issues with locked and unlocked HD. You could lock a large HD and they you would be fine. Granted most of my info is second hand at this point, but I know many have modded boxes on live with larger HD in them. Take a spin over at xboxscene.com and you will see what I mean.

i've posted about this before but you can use xlink kai with any type of xbox FOR FREE. you can go online and play any game that supports the system link feature. i've been playing halo2 on there for the last week and i love it! i cant honestly compare to xboxlive since i've never used it but you can have 16 players and microphones. halo2 is the only game being played in large numbers there so i guess thats something xbl may do better.

i've posted about this before but you can use xlink kai with any type of xbox FOR FREE. you can go online and play any game that supports the system link feature. i've been playing halo2 on there for the last week and i love it! i cant honestly compare to xboxlive since i've never used it but you can have 16 players and microphones. halo2 is the only game being played in large numbers there so i guess thats something xbl may do better.

A lot more lag on xlink kai, and tons of cheating becuase there is not control. You might check out xboxconnect also. It has a lot of support, and it actually better than xlink kai. LIVE is still the way to go if you want less lag, and less cheating. ;)

Also, IMHO it further more gives you the best multimedia centre platform available to date using XBMC (xbox media centre).  Among other cool things, it contains the best media player available. Without the need to install any codecs it plays about ANYTHING you throw at it.  You don't even need to burn anything on cd or dvd to view a media file, you just stream them from your server on which you dl'ded them.  Or ftp them to your xbox. Hell, you can even get live weather reports, view new movie trailers streaming from the net or play xbox games online without having to use (&pay) for xbox Live. And yes, it plays every game backup as well.

I also expect there's going to a SERIOUS demand for modded boxes once  MS has revoked the remaining stocks when they're about to release xbox2.

I would venture to say many of these "features" will be part of the next xbox. I plan to get a third box soley for the media center aspect. I wouldn't dare mod my limited edition Halo box. Though maybe one of those DOA boxes... :love:

Probably. I'd be surprised though if they'll come up with a flexible player like the current one on XBMC. But we'll see :)

And yes, that DOA pack is sweet. Too bad nowadays older models tend to get revoked instead of the remaining stiock being dumped all over the place. It would've been nice to buy a few bundles for some petty cash once xbox2 gets introduced :D

So, more specifically, I could use mame on my xbox and still play XBL? Will I have to switch things around like NE146's? Not quite sure which model I have - I'll check when I get home..

It depends on the modchip used. On my setup for instance, based on an alladin advance chip, by pressing the power button shorter at startup, I just boot into the official xbox BIOS. Since the not original hd has been locked again, it's no problem using LIVE from there. Lake stated before, You DO need an original game disc. When press the power button a bit longer, I boot into the hacked BIOS.

No, you wouldn't have to do that with the current generation chip. You run into issues with locked and unlocked HD. You could lock a large HD and they you would be fine. Granted most of my info is second hand at this point, but I know many have modded boxes on live with larger HD in them. Take a spin over at xboxscene.com and you will see what I mean.

The link should be www.xbox-scene.com :)

I have an easy XB-live question for you. Recently I got that dead Xbox up and running. The modding is going to get put off due to another large purchase. I'll comment on the XBox experience if anyone cares.

On the Xbox, the previous owner had Live set up on the system. (or installed) The magic question is, should I let it phone home and see what happens or would that be a 'bad idea'? I don't have an account, nor do I really want one. What happens once it hits the world outside of my LAN?

Hex.

[ Last seen wrapping up more loose ends... ]

You would have to sign in to a specific gamertag account. They would be listed in the dashboard because the info is saved on your HD. Depending on the xbox and its age, it may or may not have the LIVE option. The older boxes didn't have the option in the dashboard and many LIVE games installed it on the dashboard. You can delete any exsiting LIVE accounts and you won't have any trouble with sigining in.