IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

Except the question of what was buried. :)

I see no evidence it was 18 truckloads of ET.

It was probably just a random assortment of anything Atari decided they couldn't sell in the crash environment. The popular attribution of this event to ET carts strikes me as most likely a mythical exaggeration.

Undoubtedly if this was the case, there should be a few ET carts in there.

BUt yeah, I think you're right. If it did happen, it would have had to be misc. atari merchandise.

I just went over to the Mythbusters forum and suggested busting this Myth. I suggested Mike Rowe as a guest Mythbuster for that episode he would be a natural for tearing up a landfill.

Seriously?Im with you,i wish they would bust this,but to be quite honest,MythBusters will NOT put any effort or interest in busting something that only interests a small community of video games buffs :) And i mean small compared to the rest of the world.Stuff like where Jimmi Hoffa is buried they did,that interests a large part of population,and stuff like that.Maybe,just maybe,they will if bothered enough,i wont hold my breath though.

Edited by Rik

Yes I did and actually there were others over there that suggested it too, I was surprised and I would think if enough of us chimed in they might at least look into the feasibility of it with things like permits and such. I mean heck they wasted a significant amount of time and money on the Dynamite surfing thing.

And i did mention a Mike Rowe guest shot to grab more ratings for them as every little bit helps.

Yes I did and actually there were others over there that suggested it too, I was surprised and I would think if enough of us chimed in they might at least look into the feasibility of it with things like permits and such. I mean heck they wasted a significant amount of time and money on the Dynamite surfing thing.

And i did mention a Mike Rowe guest shot to grab more ratings for them as every little bit helps.

I saw an episode of that show recently, they were doing some really stupid "myths". They've run out of ideas.

I saw an episode of that show recently, they were doing some really stupid "myths". They've run out of ideas.

I agree, they have been "reaching" for a while now. Must explain the pleas at the end of every episode for a while now where they ask fans to send in ideas. They've been doing a lot of movie myths, which is kind of ridiculous. Stuff entirely not based in reality (for the most part), and they are going to try and prove/disprove them??

..Al

The MythBusters show isn't any worse than when they were shooting frozen chickens at windshields. They're fairly clueless likable dumbasses who know all kinds of sciency stuff. If you watch the show and expect them to have any kind of common sense, you'll pull your hair out and look for the nearest loaded gun to wrap your lips around. Just turn off your brain and hang out with the guys for an hour and watch Adam Savage giggle at anything that moves. You can also lust after Kari Byron on the days when she looks kind of hot and place bets on when Tory Belleci will screw around one time too many and end up with his guts and other gooey stuff splattered all over the cast and crew.

The MythBusters show isn't any worse than when they were shooting frozen chickens at windshields. They're fairly clueless likable dumbasses who know all kinds of sciency stuff. If you watch the show and expect them to have any kind of common sense, you'll pull your hair out and look for the nearest loaded gun to wrap your lips around. Just turn off your brain and hang out with the guys for an hour and watch Adam Savage giggle at anything that moves. You can also lust after Kari Byron on the days when she looks kind of hot and place bets on when Tory Belleci will screw around one time too many and end up with his guts and other gooey stuff splattered all over the cast and crew.

HOLY CHRIST!!! Are you okay, dude? It's just a tv show. :D

Seriously, though, I still don't think Mythbusters is a good place for this story. History Detectives would be better suited. For those of you who haven't seen the show, usually someone asks them to investigate an artifact they have to determine something about it. An example would be a letter from a figure in history passed down through the family's generation. The person would want to authenticate the letter.

They do all kinds of things, from pop to historical. One guy wound up with something from Coney Island, for instance. It's quite American in the scope of things they cover. It's a pretty nice show.

They do say they want "historically relevant" stories. I think if you package it up with someone like Curt asking them to investigate this ... where they can film a shinola-load of Atari paraphernalia at Curt's house ... and go out an research the story. I don't think they'll do any digging, but they'll find written evidence and prove or disprove it.

The downside is that it's a PBS show and has a limited season. So, space would be limited as well.

However if you can combine this with a die-hard Atari fan who has a lot of interesting stuff that would look well on TV and a professional submission package, I think it has a decent shot.

m

• 1 month later...

I think the video game market has exploded and even x-play does Atari Homage shows and they get great ratings. Not a niche anymore... video games are everywhere and in everything... phone, psp, ds, pc, set top boxes and on and on.

I think it could only help their ratings on mythbusters

I just went over to the Mythbusters forum and suggested busting this Myth. I suggested Mike Rowe as a guest Mythbuster for that episode he would be a natural for tearing up a landfill.

Seriously?Im with you,i wish they would bust this,but to be quite honest,MythBusters will NOT put any effort or interest in busting something that only interests a small community of video games buffs :) And i mean small compared to the rest of the world.Stuff like where Jimmi Hoffa is buried they did,that interests a large part of population,and stuff like that.Maybe,just maybe,they will if bothered enough,i wont hold my breath though.

Just think if you could find the location you could make a small fortune on Ebay from collectors. I know I would love to display a nice big chunk of rock on top of my T.V. with ET cartridges sticking through.

Lets not give anyone ideas!I would NOT be surprised to see that kind of thing pop up on ebay,passing it off as real.

Good show and good idea.

There's no real "science" involved, but they may get to blow stuff up. :D

Wasn't much science when they were looking for Hoffa. At least they would be searching for technology :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
This is one of those things where people will swear up and down that Mythbusters won't do it, until they DO IT. Kind of like Steve Jobs constantly denying things like OSX for intel, headless macs, and iPhones. So you really never know.

The difference here is that the Mythbusters are not investigators, they're experimenters. The show is about doing experiments to prove or disprove myths, not dig things up. "History Detectives" is probably the show that could do it, but again, someone else would probably have to do the digging since that would be quite expensive (assuming the site can be found in the first place).

EDIT: I see that someone already mentioned that!

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

The difference here is that the Mythbusters are not investigators, they're experimenters.

If enough people ask for it, they'll do it. They could just whine on camera about how they are breaking their format as part of their schtick. In the end it's all out ratings.

Just for argument's sake, what's the myth? That there are all those cartridges buried in a New Mexico landfill under cement? It's one of those that's automatically "plausible" if they don't find the landfill. It's almost impossible to "bust" it. Again, why would they shoehorn it into their format just to be landfill detectives? You talk about ratings, but the reality is it wouldn't boost them appreciably, if at all. History Detectives is the show for it, assuming that's still actively in production.

With that said, I would have thought if it were findable, it would have been found by now. Also, while it would be a nice find, if it were indeed buried and covered over with cement, there's no telling if anything recognizable is even salvageable.

Just for argument's sake, what's the myth?

The reason people are pushing it for mythbusters is that the show is hip and kitschy, and it appeals to the retrogamer demographic. History shows that are more academic are too square for the landfill story. They'd rather try to dig up Hitler's skull or look for the Hope diamond.