IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

Same in Germany:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-2600-Spiel-E-T-The-Extra-Terrestrial-/131177160600?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item1e8ac49f98

Also, quite a few BINs popped up in the last few days, ranging from € 35 to € 99.99. I'm watching them out of curiosity. Lets see they find a sucker willing to pay 100 euros.

I admit that I checked my collection for a double E.T. cart. I could have sworn that I had at least two. They were very common in lots back when I acquired the backbone of my collection. Turns out I gave away my extra copy long ago. Shame. I could have used a few extra bucks.

Same in Germany:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-2600-Spiel-E-T-The-Extra-Terrestrial-/131177160600?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item1e8ac49f98

Also, quite a few BINs popped up in the last few days, ranging from € 35 to € 99.99. I'm watching them out of curiosity. Lets see they find a sucker willing to pay 100 euros.

I admit that I checked my collection for a double E.T. cart. I could have sworn that I had at least two. They were very common in lots back when I acquired the backbone of my collection. Turns out I gave away my extra copy long ago. Shame. I could have used a few extra bucks.

To me it seems like here in Germany there are just a stupid amount of people jumping on hype trains all the time. Can't stand that :(

To me it seems like here in Germany there are just a stupid amount of people jumping on hype trains all the time. Can't stand that :(

Of course it's just a stupid hype, as always. But if I had had that extra E.T. cart, I sure as hell would have sold it NOW. I wouldn't have hurt any serious collector by doing this, because they're not stupid enough to jump on that bandwagon. The price for E.T. carts will fall back to the normal 1-2 Euro in two weeks. And as always, the leftover high-price BINs will remain on ebay for ages, gathering dust.

The person in charge of the original dump for Atari, Jim Heller, talks to the media in this local TV interview:

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Nampa-man-buried-the-Atari-video-games-30-years-ago-257619011.html?tab=video&c=y

BTW, regarding MOS's statement about it still being a lot: No, it actually wasn't a lot; in comparison to what Atari had in it's actual warehouses it was a minuscule amount. Likewise, as it was all store returns of unused stock for credit, when you think about it 728,000 (over the period of 1982-1983) is a small amount compared to the millions upon millions of Atari games on retailer shelves across the country at that time.

• Like 3

Just wait until we start seeing VGA graded copies appear in a few weeks. The morons buying them up for $$$ just to send them off and get them graded will have a hard time flipping those for sure. :lolblue:

Also, the stuff found so far is peanuts. There were 14 Semis full of stock. Are they even gonna bother busting up the cement caps to see what lies beneath? Maybe there's some better loot from further back in the warehouse on those later shipments.

So... according to the story the city is going to dig up all the games and sell them? So, that will permanently put the myth to rest as there will no longer be an Atari landfill...

Just more 'myth's' added to the original, they not going to, they city could not wait until the crew left, and they could fill it back up with sand and move on, they could not care less if there is 2 million or one super rare prototype or just 700,000 unsold returned games, they are glad the whole 45 day event is over and they can get back to normal business on burying trash.

• Like 1

So, it's over now.

Microsoft got their publicity.

The city of Alamogordo got it's share of the stash.

We have verification inventory from the closed factory was buried in New Mexico.

However, we still don't know if there are millions of copies of ET buried.

Everybody in the world now is SURE ET was the worst game ever, and that it caused the death of Atari and the economic collapse of 1983.

And what about that legendary journalistic tenacity?

How many games are buried in the Bay Area?

Where are they?

When will a documentary be made about them?

How many copies does Steven Speilberg have?

Where are all the ET dolls that got returned to the manufacturer once THAT fad faded away?

Was Atari cooking the books?

So many unanswered questions...

Real Easter Eggs. Maybe the landfill adventure was just a big Easter Egg hunt. Still waiting for a report when they crack the domes.

No report, as no more digging, no so looking under the cement, it was just enough of dig to do the news coverage and get some footage for their doc. Atari: Game Over, the city already reburied the trash with new sand hours afterwards on Sunday once the crew finished looking thru the little bit the was dug up for film crew and public on Sat.

We will never know the real total, and actual stuff buried there, its back to being a myth, we have to take the word from people that have reappeared after all these decades that 728,000 games were buried and that it was all returned or unsold stock, and that is it.

Maybe someday a real history group with its own money and some form of leverage can cut thru the red tape again and do a complete catalog of everything, but I doubt that will happen, there is so much more better landfills to look at to solve some other urban myths then just keep focusing on this one, which has almost all its facts there and solid, so it is amazing how the media and everyone keep spinning the myth out of control beyond its facts.

No report, as no more digging, no so looking under the cement, it was just enough of dig to do the news coverage and get some footage for their doc. Atari: Game Over, the city already reburied the trash with new sand hours afterwards on Sunday once the crew finished looking thru the little bit the was dug up for film crew and public on Sat.

We will never know the real total, and actual stuff buried there, its back to being a myth, we have to take the word from people that have reappeared after all these decades that 728,000 games were buried and that it was all returned or unsold stock, and that is it.

Maybe someday a real history group with its own money and some form of leverage can cut thru the red tape again and do a complete catalog of everything, but I doubt that will happen, there is so much more better landfills to look at to solve some other urban myths then just keep focusing on this one, which has almost all its facts there and solid, so it is amazing how the media and everyone keep spinning the myth out of control beyond its facts.

Wow, do you have a axe to grind for some reason.....first MS, then the company doing the dig, then the town, and now the media. :ponder:

Re-howdy, all. Wow! 71 pages! This is fantastic.

Saturday morning. Reading page after page of this, getting my geek on. Love it.

You-all are fantastic. Keep it up. It is nice to have Atari back in the news in some way. Shame that (as discussed earlier) the news is distorted or slanted, but, hey
"any publicity is good publicity" as they say.

:wq!

As I won't read this thread due to the upcoming doc :D but I MUST KNOW:

How many carts were found? Did they attempt to find them 'all', or just to prove the site existed? Are they going to auction off any of the carts (no, I don't mean the gag 'dirt, used ET cart in a bag' auctions I've seen thus far, I mean a 30 year old CHUD ET cart :D ) ?

Where can I get one of those sweet event t-shirts?

MERCI, dudes!

As I won't read this thread due to the upcoming doc :D but I MUST KNOW:

How many carts were found? Did they attempt to find them 'all', or just to prove the site existed? Are they going to auction off any of the carts (no, I don't mean the gag 'dirt, used ET cart in a bag' auctions I've seen thus far, I mean a 30 year old CHUD ET cart :D ) ?

Where can I get one of those sweet event t-shirts?

MERCI, dudes!

I was at the event. I believe that a few hundred games were found. It has been confirmed that 728k games were buried, so far from all games were found. Most of the games are under concrete which was not touched. It appears that they dug up just enough games to prove they found the site in the documentary. In fact, the city covered up the dig site the next day.

The city has ownership of ~90% of the games uncovered. It has been alluded that the city will sell them in some way for revenue generation, but no details have been released so far. It will probably be a few months before Alamogordo decides what to do with them.

As far as the t-shirts, they were handed out one per attendee. I saw most people using them as bandanas and screens to keep dust and dirt out of people's faces. I don't know how many "survived" the day. They handed them out early in the day, and many people left before any games were found. I'm alluding to that many of the people who received a t-shirt may have just stopped by to see what was going on, but didn't stay long. As such, they may not be treating the t-shirt as a collectible. Mine is never-worn, unwashed, and tucked nicely away. :)

If you really want to get one, there is one currently up on e-bay. It ends today and is currently at a $140.00 bid. :wow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181393562832?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Edited by Joeh1974
  • Like 1

Holy crappers, that's high for a Tshirt. Even if some of the spectators dirtied up their shirts, a trip through the wash cycle isn't likely to damage it much. Most of my gamer tees from Target, Walmart, Hot Topic, etc have been washed dozens of times. The owners of the E.T.-shirts will likely see this auction and try to flip theirs regardless of whether it's been through a wash cycle or two.

I'd like to add it's really disheartening that the cement caps were not disturbed. Chances are there's even more variety of loot to be found underneath than what was already uncovered.

• Like 1

I was at the event. I believe that a few hundred games were found. It has been confirmed that 728k games were buried, so far from all games were found. Most of the games are under concrete which was not touched. It appears that they dug up just enough games to prove they found the site in the documentary. In fact, the city covered up the dig site the next day.

The city has ownership of ~90% of the games uncovered. It has been alluded that the city will sell them in some way for revenue generation, but no details have been released so far. It will probably be a few months before Alamogordo decides what to do with them.

As far as the t-shirts, they were handed out one per attendee. I saw most people using them as bandanas and screens to keep dust and dirt out of people's faces. I don't know how many "survived" the day. They handed them out early in the day, and many people left before any games were found. I'm alluding to that many of the people who received a t-shirt may have just stopped by to see what was going on, but didn't stay long. As such, they may not be treating the t-shirt as a collectible. Mine is never-worn, unwashed, and tucked nicely away. :)

When I think about why they didn't unearth more, I have to admit...wtf could you do with almost a million smelly old ET carts?!?!?

If you really want to get one, there is one currently up on e-bay. It ends today and is currently at a $140.00 bid. :wow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181393562832?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648