IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

Anytime I think of ET carts in a landfill, I think of ET falling into the landfill instead of pits.

ET? Bury it in a pit? Yes, please! :rolling:

$ 225 for the tee, I love it, Atari rocks

Man, I should totally go to my print shop and start making bootlegs... :evil:

Damn, moycon beat me to it...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

Al should sell repro T-shirts here on the site. How hard would it be?

Years ago we used to draw up designs and get them printed in bulk for dart tournaments.

$140 is seriously crazy, you could probably find an online source to print off the same damn design on a T-shirt for like $29.99. If you bought em in bulk, probably be more like $15

• Like 1

Ok, I'm asking for honest opinions: Is there something wrong with me for wanting to own one of these landfill treasures?

No be cause you are not the only one. I would like to have them as long as they are not too expensive and they make sure that nothing toxic was left when it is mailed. It is part of history and would be nice to have.

• Like 2

VGA doesn't make the thing air tight only unnecessarily more expensive .... not sure if they could fully verify it was from the dig either

VGA won't verify the game as dig contents. That would be done by the broker who sells off the artifacts. An expert would verify and document the artifacts and include a certificate of authenticity with the item proving that it originated from the Alamogordo landfill. The item with the certificate could then be shipped to VGA and an appropriate case would be fabricated to house both the artifact and the certificate of authenticity together, along with a VGA serial. Given the item's history as a landfill relic, VGA would likely issue an NG (no grade) because the damage is integral to the item's status as a historical artifact. Awarding a "10" or other low-ball number based on the existing 100-point grading scale would just be lame as hell.

What is it about this whole dig that feels so perverse?

Because nobody should be mucking around in smelly holes.

Perverse doesn't begin to describe it. ET fell into a pit he couldn't get out of. For 30 years this ET glory hole remained a virgin until it was probed by humans. If you were ET, wouldn't you feel at least slightly violated by this?

• Like 1

The only thing this documentary crew solved by digging up the Alamagordo, landfill was that the supposed ONE MILLION carts ARE NOT there!

The entire mystery is what happened to the 1 million ET cartridges. From the photos and videos, it seems they only found maybe a hundred. Where are the other 999,900 games????

They are not there. You know why? Because THATS THE WRONG LANDFILL.

All this media hype is acting like the mystery has been solved. And it hasn't been. It IS good that they laid to rest the rumors of the carts being there. But THE HUNT IS STILL ON.

No be cause you are not the only one. I would like to have them as long as they are not too expensive and they make sure that nothing toxic was left when it is mailed. It is part of history and would be nice to have.

I have to agree with this. Maybe the city officials plan on selling them in bits and pieces to help bring in some money into the city. Would not be a bad idea and I did see a VCS box (looked like a Darth Vader unit) in a few other videos. E.T. just because it was one game that pretty much started the legend and a VCS, working or not, and I'd be happy. Would I sell them? Are you crazy?!? I'd hang on to them and enjoy them. I'd most likely try to fix any VCS I got from the landfill just because that is what I enjoy doing...fixing electronics. That's my two cents on that. If there are any 5200 controllers in that pile and maybe a 5200 Trak Ball, I'd be all in. Bury me in that landfill with a TV and I would have a decent collection of Atari stuff :D

The only thing this documentary crew solved by digging up the Alamagordo, landfill was that the supposed ONE MILLION carts ARE NOT there!

The entire mystery is what happened to the 1 million ET cartridges. From the photos and videos, it seems they only found maybe a hundred. Where are the other 999,900 games????

They are not there. You know why? Because THATS THE WRONG LANDFILL.

All this media hype is acting like the mystery has been solved. And it hasn't been. It IS good that they laid to rest the rumors of the carts being there. But THE HUNT IS STILL ON.

The answers to your questions have all been addressed over the last 10 pages or so.

I certainly don't believe they faked the dig, but I do agree with any one that said "there had to be more games than that in the hole"

The ones saying that were familiar with the actual myth, and obviously to prove the myth was true they would have had to of found proof of millions of more E.T. carts at the site.

They didn't.

What the dig did in my eyes was debunk the myth many people here already knew was debunked years ago.

Exactly. They did not find a million carts. They found a handful. The whole myth is about a million ET carts that Atari threw away.

I could find 20-30 ET carts at any flee-market. This dig DID shed some light on the mystery, but it certainly didn't solve it. Because they're about 999,000 cartridge short.

The answers to your questions have all been addressed over the last 10 pages or so.

I read the last 10 pages. I saw some high res images of the dig, and did not see anything close to a million games.

I'm glad they found the stuff from the El Paso plant. That's certainly cool to finally see. But it looks like they need to keep searching, because that ain't anywhere close to a million carts.

I read the last 10 pages. I saw some high res images of the dig, and did not see anything close to a million games.

I'm glad they found the stuff from the El Paso plant. That's certainly cool to finally see. But it looks like they need to keep searching, because that ain't anywhere close to a million carts.

It's already been confirmed at 728,000 carts. The overwhelming majority of them were buried under concrete caps, which were found, but not touched as they only had two days to find something and dig up for the documentary. Also, it's been confirmed that the carts buried were mostly overstock cartridges returned by retailers back to Atari for reimbursement. As Atari didn't have a formal return mechanism from the retailers, they shipped everything to the El Paso plant for disposal. Quite a few of the games uncovered still had shrink-wrap on them with retailer pricing. The other thing this dig confirmed was that this was not the great E.T. cartridge dump everyone thought it would be.

The documentary crew did not have the time, nor the permission, to dig up hundreds of thousands of games. Honestly, they were lucky that they found a spot that proved anything was there. The landfill is close to 300 acres in size. They found the concrete and decided to dig close to the caps. Luckily, they found hundreds of games not encased in concrete. Good enough for the documentary.

• Like 4

And there IS another landfill, somewhere around Sunnyvale CA, where Atari dumped a lot of it's returned game stock. Curt and Marty learned the location of this dump while doing research on their recent book, but promised not to revel the location. This dump is where most of the overstock was gotten rid at -- perhaps the 'million ET carts' ended up here.

It's already been confirmed at 728,000 carts. The overwhelming majority of them were buried under concrete caps, which were found, but not touched as they only had two days to find something and dig up for the documentary. Also, it's been confirmed that the carts buried were mostly overstock cartridges returned by retailers back to Atari for reimbursement. As Atari didn't have a formal return mechanism from the retailers, they shipped everything to the El Paso plant for disposal. Quite a few of the games uncovered still had shrink-wrap on them with retailer pricing. The other thing this dig confirmed was that this was not the great E.T. cartridge dump everyone thought it would be.

The documentary crew did not have the time, nor the permission, to dig up hundreds of thousands of games. Honestly, they were lucky that they found a spot that proved anything was there. The landfill is close to 300 acres in size. They found the concrete and decided to dig close to the caps. Luckily, they found hundreds of games not encased in concrete. Good enough for the documentary.

That's all fine. And I believe everything you wrote. However, the myth that we were always lead to believe was that there was one million ET cartridges. That information may be wrong, or made up, but that WAS the myth. And they did not show us a million cartridges.

Also, by looking at the images, you can see that there is a lot more than just ET carts in that pile of 728,000 carts. So even if they DID dig up the rest of the stuff under the concrete, it seems like there would still be nowhere near one million ET cartridges. Since so many other games makes up that 728,000 amount.

Also, can any of us REALLY be sure that Atari didn't also dump a bunch of ET carts at the Sunnyvale dump? Why didn't this documentary crew dig up BOTH landfills?

It only leaves room for speculation that the carts could still be under there..

And there IS another landfill, somewhere around Sunnyvale CA, where Atari dumped a lot of it's returned game stock. Curt and Marty learned the location of this dump while doing research on their recent book, but promised not to revel the location. This dump is where most of the overstock was gotten rid at -- perhaps the 'million ET carts' ended up here.

THANK YOU! That is my entire point.

The mystery isn't over until the Sunnyvale dump is uncovered.

That's all fine. And I believe everything you wrote. However, the myth that we were always lead to believe was that there was one million ET cartridges. That information may be wrong, or made up, but that WAS the myth. And they did not show us a million cartridges.

Also, by looking at the images, you can see that there is a lot more than just ET carts in that pile of 728,000 carts. So even if they DID dig up the rest of the stuff under the concrete, it seems like there would still be nowhere near one million ET cartridges. Since so many other games makes up that 728,000 amount.

Also, can any of us REALLY be sure that Atari didn't also dump a bunch of ET carts at the Sunnyvale dump? Why didn't this documentary crew dig up BOTH landfills?

It only leaves room for speculation that the carts could still be under there..

Dude...are you for reals? Everything has been explained in detail for you. If you think there's some other site, then by all means, conspiracy theory away. There is no more mystery (not that there was really any to begin with). You're complaining of a a couple hundred thousand carts? This is the site, and if there's another, well...again, who gives a shit? Did you really want them to excavate all 700k plus carts? The purpose was to prove the site existed, and they did that. They know there's more under, encased in concrete. There was no reason at all to dig up both landfills, because the only 'myth' was with those who didn't believe a company like Atari would bury so much of its product at that time. Even if there was two, nobody with money to spend would care. They found the important one and there you have it. If you're not happy, I suggest having a Coke and a smile :) Enjoy your 'mystery', maybe in another 30 years you can come up with the scratch to do it yourself.

Dude...are you for reals? Everything has been explained in detail for you. If you think there's some other site, then by all means, conspiracy theory away. There is no more mystery (not that there was really any to begin with). You're complaining of a a couple hundred thousand carts? This is the site, and if there's another, well...again, who gives a shit? Did you really want them to excavate all 700k plus carts? The purpose was to prove the site existed, and they did that. They know there's more under, encased in concrete. There was no reason at all to dig up both landfills, because the only 'myth' was with those who didn't believe a company like Atari would bury so much of its product at that time. Even if there was two, nobody with money to spend would care. They found the important one and there you have it. If you're not happy, I suggest having a Coke and a smile :) Enjoy your 'mystery', maybe in another 30 years you can come up with the scratch to do it yourself.

"They found the important one"

I would say the important one was the one where the million ET carts were dumped. And since they weren't in Alamagordo, as was proven by this dig, logic would suggest they are in Sunnyvale.

Also, I'm not alone in believing this. There are others in this thread that believe the same.

Edited by Elvis8Atari