IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

...one of those loonies that still says we never landed on the moon.
Actually, E.T. didn't land ON the moon, he went IN FRONT OF the moon. It was in the movie; I saw it.

---edit---

OK, now, who will be the one-thousandth customer to post in this thread? The winner is...

Now that was funny! And I wish I saw it last night, and I could be the 1000.... well, lets see who the 1K person will be. (as in 1024)

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed in the articles posted in this thread are the different number of trucks reported.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/66637-ataris-landfill-adventures-i-now-have-the-proof-its-true/page__view__findpost__p__828794

-----------------------

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/66637-ataris-landfill-adventures-i-now-have-the-proof-its-true/page__view__findpost__p__1163459

14 - 18

------------------------

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/66637-ataris-landfill-adventures-i-now-have-the-proof-its-true/page__view__findpost__p__1142345

about 20

-------------------------

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/66637-ataris-landfill-adventures-i-now-have-the-proof-its-true/page__view__findpost__p__1925968

definite 20

--------------------------

and now this one a very definite 14

Based on this thread I've come to the conclusion that in the 80's most reporters didn't have camera's (and the couple that did didn't know how to use them) and they couldn't count. :cool:

• Like 1

Based on this thread I've come to the conclusion that in the 80's most reporters didn't have camera's (and the couple that did didn't know how to use them) and they couldn't count. :cool:

The thing you have to remember is that the police and reporters have a special ability to screw up whatever they see or hear. You can tell them something simple like "Fred Doofendangle kicked me in the balls 3 times, then stole my cat." They'll write down that Ted Tillybanger was very tall and raped your dog. When you're close to a story and see how badly they mangle simple facts with your own eyes and ears, you won't be surprised when numbers don't match up from article to article.

The thing you have to remember is that the police and reporters have a special ability to screw up whatever they see or hear.

Yep that's why I don't think news "stories" are always the best source for the facts.

I guess in this case they also screw up when taking pictures, because the pictures we do have of the millions of E.T. carts being buried are pretty pathetic.

Very simple, it was over a multi day period. It wasn't done all at once with a steady count, and they couldn't get anything count wise out of Atari execs other than to say what it was they were dumping there in general. As I said I have the articles with the interviews, and the daily attempts at counting trucks, and the final decision to cover the site with concrete because of the pilfering going on.

Edited by wgungfu

Yep that's why I don't think news "stories" are always the best source for the facts.

Umm, I'll take multiple news outlets under editorial control over a guy on an AA board stating how he asked on a forum, any day of the week. :roll:

I guess in this case they also screw up when taking pictures, because the pictures we do have of the millions of E.T. carts being buried are pretty pathetic.

Once again, I don't know why you're still going on with that. It's already been established what was dumped there, what games, what equipment, etc. You're just further fanning nonsense, and going off on one badly scanned/reproduced picture from an original article that happens to be up on Wikipedia. And the photo isn't even claiming to be of E.T. carts. It was taken that Saturday (dumping continued through Wednesday/Thursday) The actual printed caption from the photo is: "At the floor of the city's newest pit at the landfill Saturday, all that was left of 8 truckloads of Atari games was rubble, squished boxes, and a lot of dust." It was decided on Monday to do the crushing and concrete after the pilfering over the weekend, which was done after the final trucks came during the week.

The thread is entitled "Atari's landfill adventures", not "1 million E.T. carts and a bad article scan at Wikipedia". I let it slide the first time around when you stated you were just commenting on the issue of how many E.T. carts there. Now you're going on trying to still make it sound as if the landfill itself never happened, and now I'm going to repeat my original statement that "You sound like one of those loonies that still says we never landed on the moon."

Edited by wgungfu

Yep that's why I don't think news "stories" are always the best source for the facts. I guess in this case they also screw up when taking pictures, because the pictures we do have of the millions of E.T. carts being buried are pretty pathetic.
Sort of like all those pictures of flying saucers and alien landing sites, bigfoot, and the loch ness dinosaur. I want to believe!

wgungfu, you know EXACTLY what was dumped there? If you do, mind sharing it with us? I, for one, am very curious. :) The best I've ever seen is 'some games that included ET, PacMan, and ROLA, some broken computers, and office equipment.'

I'd be very interested to know also if the games were really defective or the games worked fine and they decided it was cheaper to take the loss then to sell them for next to nothing.

wgungfu, you know EXACTLY what was dumped there? If you do, mind sharing it with us? I, for one, am very curious. :) The best I've ever seen is 'some games that included ET, PacMan, and ROLA, some broken computers, and office equipment.'

I'd be very interested to know also if the games were really defective or the games worked fine and they decided it was cheaper to take the loss then to sell them for next to nothing.

Read earlier in the thread, I stated exact things that were stated as being dumped there. Likewise yes, some of the games (including the ones I mentioned) were found to be working. As mentioned, I paid out of pocket for a plethora of news archive research to which Curt and I now have copies of (since this was all in relation to the book). I've never come across any actual statement in these sources stating office furniture. Atari executives confirmed computers, consoles, and games, but tried to state they were all defectives coming out of the Texas plant. I even have the name of the security guard that was put on duty by Atari to watch the site because of the pilfering. The city manager of the time also confirmed the dumping.

Edited by wgungfu

Sorry, I should have asked that question better. I was wondering if you found, during your research, a exact itemized list, saying like '5000 ET's, 1000 Atari 400's, etc.' If such a list did exist, it would certinaly be very interesting.

I wonder just how many of those games were defective vs working, not that there's any way to know.

BTW, your book sounds very interesting. Any idea when it may be out? :)

Here's one I'll share right now, that I didn't have to pay for. Front page of the Sunday edition of the Alamogordo Daily News from the weekend of the dumping and pilfering:

post-160-126647416531_thumb.jpg

Once again, nobody here is stating it as a "million E.T." dump, that myth has long since sailed. That's why it makes no sense to keep hammering at that, it's like tilting windmills at this point. A non-issue.

Edited by wgungfu

Here's one I'll share right now, that I didn't have to pay for. Front page of the Sunday edition of the Alamogordo Daily News from the weekend of the dumping and pilfering . . .

Ed Moore is part of the Illuminati conspiracy! Don't trust him! He'll shape-shift into a reptilian alien from another dimension when your back is turned and suck out all of your blood!

The thread is entitled "Atari's landfill adventures", not "1 million E.T. carts and a bad article scan at Wikipedia".

If you don't know the myth then I don't know what to tell you.

Here I'll help you.....

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/atari.asp

Check the status.

Yeah I'm like a loony. This myth has only been around since the 80's.

At this point it seems like you're rambling on and on about my opinion in regards to this myth (one which you have already yourself agreed was false) What exactly is your goal? To repeat what the myth wasn't over and over till people forget the last 25 years? To insult me? To get me to buy your book? What?

BTW and off the subject, is there any particular reason you have to mention Curt's name in so many of your posts? (Not just this thread) Are you afraid your statements don't carry any weight on there own? A little bromance maybe? Just curious.

The thread is entitled "Atari's landfill adventures", not "1 million E.T. carts and a bad article scan at Wikipedia".

If you don't know the myth then I don't know what to tell you.

Here I'll help you.....

Check the status.

Yeah I'm a loony. This myth has only been around since the 80's.

WTF are you talking about? I never stated any of what you're trying to twist that in to. Boy are you grasping for straws now in an attempt to give some assemblance of a coherent snide come back. It's very simple. You keep on going off about the 1 million carts thing, and keep sloppily crossing it in to "there's no dump at all" territory. When you cross in to that, you sound like a loony. Nobody was stating any unfamiliarity with said E.T. cart myth, that you keep going after when, once again, the title of the thread is about the landfill in general.

You want to keep punching at the million cart myth that's already been disproven, knock your self out. But when that starts treading over to wording alluding to there being no landfill at all, I will call you on that as I did.

After insulting my opinion on this myth, I think I'll pass on your book.

No, you're the one who keeps coming back with this nonsense that's an insult to those of us doing serious research on this subject and others. Nobody insulted your opinion on it not being a million cart E.T. dump. I even previously stated we're in agreement on that. Once again, it seems more of a failure to actually read what's been said and what's being said, and a rush to try and formulate a "comeback".

BTW and off the subject, is there any particular reason you have to mention Curt's name in so many of your posts? (Not just this thread) Are you afraid your statements don't carry any weight on there own, bromance? Just curious.

We're research and business partners. Here, just to spell it out - if you reread the threads you're stating you read, you'll come across that we're partners on a set of books, we work together with Legacy Engineering, we're partners in other research, etc., etc. But that's what I'd expect from someone with your demonstrated propensity to gloss over things. But why even try and do a childish high school locker room statement like that? Except for a veiled attempt to get a rise out of someone because you're just running out of any real substance?

Honestly, we get it - you don't believe there's a million cart E.T. dump - neither do the rest of us. Move on already.

Edited by wgungfu

No, you're the one who keeps coming back with this nonsense that's an insult to those of us doing serious research on this subject and others.

What nonsense? I'm discussing the myth about the Alamogordo landfill. The one that's been around for 25 years. Nothing more. I mentioned this very thing pretty clearly (I thought) days ago. Here's the quote:

that's what I was referring to. The tale that millions of E.T.s were buried in the desert.

Here's more sites that reference the myth. (I can find even more if needed)

http://www.t3.com/features-gallery.html?articleId=10251&pic=/images/Atari.jpg&id=15

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/video-game-myths-fact-or-fiction-/1182040-2

http://www.nostalgiaholic.com/wp/179/raiders-of-the-lost-cartridges/

http://www.americanprofile.com/article/26513.html

http://www.sitesled.com/members/atari2600duds/et.html

That's all I've done, that's all I've been doing! Talking about a silly myth. LOL Seriously wgungfu, you might might to take a step back and count to 10 or something. I think you are reading way too much into the situation especially if you're telling me I've gotten a rise out of you over this. What exactly is your goal here? I asked you, you didn't answer. You want me to admit the myth was never a myth? You want me to pretend the myth was something other than what it actually was? You want me to say the data I discovered means nothing because I'm not you? You just want to ruin what should be a fun and interesting thread by belittling me? What?

What nonsense? I'm discussing the myth about the Alamogordo landfill. The one that's been around for 25 years. Nothing more.

. . .

That's all I've done, that's all I've been doing! Talking about a silly myth. LOL Seriously wgungfu, you might might to take a step back and count to 10 or something. I think you are reading way too much into the situation especially if you're telling me I've gotten a rise out of you over this. What exactly is your goal here? I asked you, you didn't answer. You want me to admit the myth was never a myth? You want me to pretend the myth was something other than what it actually was? You want me to say the data I discovered means nothing because I'm not you? You just want to ruin what should be a fun and interesting thread by belittling me? What?

Just remember what you said here:

I won't hold my breath.

Sorry don't believe a word of the story.

Feel free to prove the nay sayers wrong though, that goes out to everyone. Feel free to provide some documented proof, a pic, a video, an office memo...anything!!! This would have been a huge undertaking, transporting millions of carts, providing bulldozers, cement trucks, it's amazing how not one photo was taken of this, not one person has come forward and even admitting to being onsite when it happened. No sir, you'll need more than words to convince me. That huge of a project should have been documented out the ass, someone provide some proof please.

It seems many times in this thread, you weren't just talking about the million cartridge myth, you seemed to be saying that truckloads of Atari products of any kind were not buried there. It didn't happen until you see a video of a reporter blowing a security guard on a huge pile of broken cartridges.

When it seems like enough proof that truckloads of some type of Atari products were dumped, you dismiss it and talk about the million cartridge myth again.

It's like you made a huge bet with someone that Atari didn't dump anything there and you're afraid that you'll have to pay up.

• Like 1

It seems many times in this thread, you weren't just talking about the million cartridge myth

I love how you just stated this but then quoted me directly mentioning the millions of carts.

This would have been a huge undertaking, transporting millions of carts

Not sure what to say. You caught me, I specifically mentioned millions of carts, but I was talking about something else. :cool:

Did I miss the memo that the myth got changed?

BTW the video you mentioned doesn't exist that I've ever seen. That was kind of my point, what with all the reporters there. Maybe I missed it. Link? :)

It seems many times in this thread, you weren't just talking about the million cartridge myth

I love how you just stated this but then quoted me directly mentioning the millions of carts.

Not sure what to say. You caught me, I specifically mentioned millions of carts, but I was talking about something else.

Did I miss the memo that the myth got changed?

BTW the video you mentioned doesn't exist that I saw, that was kind of my point. What with all the reporters there. Maybe I missed it. :)

Notice that I wasn't just talking about that post. I did 'catch you,' though. You said in that same post "Sorry don't believe a word of the story." Not believing a word of the story means you don't believe that Atari dumped anything there.

I know, a couple of beer drinking knuckleheads rented a truck, threw a couple of Atari cartridges into a hole, took a picture and notified the press. Yep, that's what happened. Makes perfect sense. Occam's razor is never wrong.

• Like 1

means you don't believe that Atari dumped anything there.

Remind me to start picking apart your posts and telling you what you really mean when you post something.

Anyways, I went on to explain the story I didn't believe a word of, it included millions of Atari cartridges as you can easily see because you quoted it. :thumbsup:

If to a person it still seems like I wasn't talking about what I posted, I'm not sure what to tell them.

• Like 2

means you don't believe that Atari dumped anything there.

Remind me to start picking apart your posts and telling you what you really mean when you post something.

Anyways, I went on to explain the story I didn't believe a word of, it included millions of Atari cartridges as you can easily see because you quoted it. :thumbsup:

You can dance around and zig-zag all you want, but you can't get away from the fact that you said you didn't believe a word of the story. You were very clear. There is no other interpretation. Many of your posts that followed also confirmed your disbelief that Atari dumped truckloads of products of any kind there.

If you tell me that you ate at Burger King, put purple fingernail polish on your willy, shaved your head, then murdered your grandmother and I say that I don't believe a word of the story, that means I don't believe that you ate at Burger King, painted your willy, shaved your head, or killed your grandmother. It's easy to understand.

So have you changed your mind? Has enough evidence been presented for you to believe that truckloads of Atari products were buried there?

• Like 1