IGNORED

Is Spore your kind of game?

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Spore might turn out to be a great game. Check out these pics if you haven't already:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/spore/index.php

Looks like never-ending fun could be had with that game. Should be highly replayable.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Spore might turn out to be a great game. Check out these pics if you haven't already:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/spore/index.php

Looks like never-ending fun could be had with that game. Should be highly replayable.

That actually looks really cool. I hope it comes out for a console, my computer couldn't handle it. The customization alone could keep me occupied for days.

-Tim

I am purely speculating here.

The final judgement will be based on how it's implemented. At a glance, it makes me think of a cross between Sim-City and Evolva. Also, is this an EA product? -- That was my impression from the caption.

Hex.

[ "Good things succumb to those who wait." -- Razorclaw; Transformers G1 ]

I am purely speculating here.

The final judgement will be based on how it's implemented. At a glance, it makes me think of a cross between Sim-City and Evolva.

This looks like what I thought Sim Life was going to be more like, but they weren't advanced enough back then:

http://amiga.emucamp.com/simlife.htm

Also, is this an EA product? -- That was my impression from the caption.

Unless Will Wright has quit Maxis or EA doesn't still own Maxis, yep, it will be an EA product.

Oh, an EA product. I've lost a bit of interest now since I haven't played an EA game I liked since. . .

I don't care who owns Maxis if this game is as much fun as I hope it will be.

Here's an article I just found called, "Will Wright Presents Spore... and a New Way to Think About Games."

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html

That actually looks really cool. I hope it comes out for a console, my computer couldn't handle it. The customization alone could keep me occupied for days.

-Tim

Yeah. Looks like a fun game. Only if it's ported to a console though.

• 11 months later...

I was going to start a new topic about Spore, as this game looks far too important not to have one, but I found this thread with a search, so I might as well bump it back to life ;)

For those who haven't already seen it, check out this video, where Will Wright presents this game. It's just over 35 minutes long, but it's well worth watching, and really shows you what this game is all about, and all the aspects involved in it. This game really has the potential to revolutionize the industry, or at the very least make the people at Maxis/EA a great deal of money.

While nothing official has been announced, there are rumors that this game MIGHT make it to the Xbox 360 and even to mobile devices (cell phones maybe?). Despite my distaste for Microsoft and the upcoming generation of gaming in general, I would very likely buy a 360 if it meant I could play Spore on it.

--Zero

THIS is the kind of game that Atari might have been making these days had it not imploded in the crash of 1984.

This is like 2600 Adventure (when you don't bother going for the Chalice and just fool with it) to the absolute ultimate level.

I certainly hope it comes out for the PC because I don't have any modern consoles and would prefer not to have to buy one just for this.

:!:

It seems to be online? I'd hate to have my civilization killed while I'm offline...

It's not really online in the traditional sense... from my understanding, the game automatically uploads information about your creature/buildings/vehicles/etc to the master server, and downloads data about other players creations to use in the game. However, your universe is unique to you, and the computer controls any content that was downloaded. Apparently, the game will come pre-loaded with a large number of creatures and stuff already built in, but this "data trading" will hopefully serve as a huge source of unique creations. There are supposedly also plans for "rating" creations so that stuff that people like will show up more often, while stupid and ugly creations will basically just evaporate. Finally, it's also been mentioned that the data involved in these downloads and uploads is very small... on the order of a few kilobytes per creation.

I'm not quite sure how all this will work out, or how they'll manage to do all this, but it's very exciting. Rest assured though that you won't have to worry about what's happening to your civilization when you're not playing.

--Zero

I must admit I'm a little intrigued by this. The idea of "builduing" a creature from the cellular level up to a sentient being, building its city, going to war, etc. sounds interesting on a massively abstract level. Is it only going to be online play though? Will there be a fee? I'm not really into online play (there are always dickheads that ruin the fun) so that might be a deal breaker if it's mandatory.

I must admit I'm a little intrigued by this.  The idea of "builduing" a creature from the cellular level up to a sentient being, building its city, going to war, etc. sounds interesting on a massively abstract level.  Is it only going to be online play though?  Will there be a fee?  I'm not really into online play (there are always dickheads that ruin the fun) so that might be a deal breaker if it's mandatory.

1028563[/snapback]

It's an offline game from what the video described, but it will download other people's creations to your game where the computer will then take over that civilization and run it based on how the player that created it controlled it.

That video really made me want the game now. I was mildly interested before, but now it is a definite buy.

I must admit I'm a little intrigued by this.  The idea of "builduing" a creature from the cellular level up to a sentient being, building its city, going to war, etc. sounds interesting on a massively abstract level.  Is it only going to be online play though?  Will there be a fee?  I'm not really into online play (there are always dickheads that ruin the fun) so that might be a deal breaker if it's mandatory.

1028563[/snapback]

Click this little circle and read my last post: 1027395[/snapback]

There hasn't been any mention of a fee, although I very much doubt they'd charge for it considering the way it's supposed to work.

--Zero

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine just pointed me to the Spore video (google video) and I'm obsessed with it now. We want a console released just to play Spore 24/7 in some super hard-core/detailed version of the game. (call it SporeBox, or SporeStation, or Sporvolution).

I'd forgotten about Evolva. There used to be a game online modeled after the idea of evolution and multiplayer. I think people played it by created text files that described the attribute of an organism (according to certain rules) and submitted to a main server that tabulted how many of each persons critters survived to the next rung on the evolutionary ladder. Wish I could remember the name.