IGNORED

A 96Kb intro demo by TNG

Mr_Spock

Hi!

Now finally it's time to release  the little 96Kb intro I did to the DHS 96Kb intro comp.

It's nothing fancy but my first real program to the jaguar.

All source code is availible to download, see link below for more info

http://www.cs.umu.se/~mat97jkn/tng/96kb_demo/

CU

/Mr spock@tng

Hey Mr. Spock, thanks for sharing your work. I'll get around to testing it out this week!

Hello Mr.Spock,

thanks for sharing the demo with us, i just had a short look at the running demo, the 3D-objects look good also the tunnel and the scroller (although the

scroller isn't always readable in a room with daylight). I'll look into the sources later :-)

Bye!

Matthias

Hi Mr spock!

Really great work on the demo!

Keep it up! :)

Btw, where did you get that original 3D source ? I have never seen that one before. Also how did you create the jag 3d files? when I tried using the 3ds converter some time ago, i had the problem that I couldn't find any tool that still outputted those outdated 3ds files that the converter needs.

Regards, Lars.

hi!

Well, it is based on the 3D example by Atari. The one with three worlds. The castle, the radar and the spaceship? Anyway, I started with the fuji logo and it came in .3ds format I think or I had it converted to it at the Fuck convention in Falun. The other object was done by symmetry in blender and converted in a program called 3d converter I think. I don't think it's the best program availible and it could be one source to the problems with converting objects. It works but perhaps is not as stable as one should like, there is some glitches and I think it is the TNG logo that has some normal that is off. And that is really the key, having objects in 3ds with good normals else the 3ds convert util that Atari supplied with the environment (www.cs.umu.se/~mat97jkn/tng/) will not succed in converting.

However, I didn't succed in saving color info with the objects so this I did by making the 3dsconv output a .s file and then I edited the color manually.

This demo was done in very short period of time so it can be improved in a lot of ways, although I quite happy with the scrolltext concidering the speed hack that it is. And Matthias, if you have problems reading the scrolltext, I recommend you get some glases or you recompile the program with a diffrent scroll speed ;-) You can do that by changing the value in the .inc file =)

Hello,

Now finally it's time to release  the little 96Kb intro I did to the DHS 96Kb intro comp.

That's great news, thanks for posting it.

I'm away from my dev Jags at the moment, but I hope to be able

to try this out soon, I've got to get my BJL Jag set up in England.

Thanks again. :-)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Just some notes:

--the atari sign was already in 3ds ..found it on the net a long long time ago.

--TNG text & creating new objects.. is a real pain in the b-tt. if you dont have 3dstudio and have to create 3ds files, it is not easy. I dont realy remember all the steps i did but it included scaling (blenders objects are like 1/1000 of a 3ds file.. in coordinate size!!(???!)) making all normals pointing outward, and remove doubles... then export it via the blender 3dsexport script ( i think!) ..and then import it via some old "hobbymade" 3dviewer program and resave it as 3ds... Only then did the atari 3ds tool not crash or complain about nonzero normals (or whatever).

If a better way could be found... which supported coloring, texturemapping..... that would be great!

>where did you get that original 3D source ? I have never seen that one before

which is strange... that the best startingpoint for new good 3d things is not floating around in the dev scene... even though other atari source (which is less usefull) is "free".

Hope it will lead to something good then!

--Finally about the tunnel src... well... hmm... it was my choise not to release it =) ..YET!.. even though it is just a simple tunnel. (yet better than my old demo). But i think only a few hardcore GPU fans would understand it atm anyhow, it is severly complex, a test to get maximum speed of the rout.

Anyhow my reason for not releasing it, is (actually my own, but i choose to reveal it anyway ;) that i will use it as material for a upcomming homepage, coding/tutorial section... just wanted some material for my homepage thats all.... So if someone is interested (probably not) then please wait =)

--Other than that I had nothing to do with this release!

But its nice to have been participating a bit in a jaguar demo.

--I chalange everyone to join in & create a better one! ;) (trying to spore developement ;)

cheers!

/Sym

Hello,

--TNG text & creating new objects.. is a real pain in the b-tt. if you dont have 3dstudio and have to create 3ds files' date=' it is not easy. I dont realy remember all the steps i did but it included scaling (blenders objects are like 1/1000 of a 3ds file.. in coordinate size!!(???!)) making all normals pointing outward, and remove doubles... then export it via the blender 3dsexport script ( i think!) ..and then import it via some old "hobbymade" 3dviewer program and resave it as 3ds... Only then did the atari 3ds tool not crash or complain about nonzero normals (or whatever).[/quote']Aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggh! Still, not as bad a new Jag DOOM wads!

which is strange... that the best startingpoint for new good 3d things is not floating around in the dev scene... even though other atari source (which is less usefull) is "free".

It's funny, people have things which they assume everybody else has,

or has had for years, but attempts at a "register" of sources and the

tool versions have been tried online several times, without success,

to-date, and when StarCat did this before, he was forced offline by

some spiteful person who downloaded everything over and over to

use up his bandwidth. I've tried to upload resources to the Yahoo

Jaguar-Homebrew group, people are welcome to add sources too.

I have some photos of the demo in action, very nice work, both...

--Finally about the tunnel src... well... hmm... it was my choise not to release it =) ..YET!.. even though it is just a simple tunnel. (yet better than my old demo). But i think only a few hardcore GPU fans would understand it atm anyhow, it is severly complex, a test to get maximum speed of the rout.
It's a really nice piece of code. Develop it, if possible, add gameplay!

Anyhow my reason for not releasing it, is (actually my own, but i choose to reveal it anyway ;) that i will use it as material for a upcomming homepage, coding/tutorial section... just wanted some material for my homepage thats all.... So if someone is interested (probably not) then please wait =)
I much prefer to read your coding/tutorial section than see sources

now, because most likely I won't understand without some tutorial. :(

Great work, and I hope we see a 128K demo in due course. ;)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

--Other than that I had nothing to do with this release!

But its nice to have been participating a bit in a jaguar demo.

--I chalange everyone to join in & create a better one! ;) (trying to spore developement ;)

cheers!

/Sym

Yo!

(hmm.. these html quote marks.... wheres the delete button?)

>Aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggh! Still, not as bad a new Jag DOOM wads!

well i wrote down the procedure (in swedish, wasnt ment to be public) ..but perhapps the routine could be revisted & debugged for real. perhapps a way could be found to more easily do new objects...

>It's funny, people have things which they assume everybody else has,

read PM... =)

>photos of the demo in action, very nice work, both...

muchos grazias ..=) ...or Natchos gracias depending on what you have to offer :P

>Tunnel: It's a really nice piece of code. Develop it, if possible, add gameplay!

the effect has lost its "WoW" feeling so no its pritty much wasted.. but yes.. it could be used for a game in itself... or as i originally planned it, to be like a "realtime spacewarp" thing inbetween other scenes. Though it could be a game.. similar to... whats its name for GBA`..Iridion3D ? ....same thing... just do this in tha background & add OP obejcts ontop.. and do box collision...

but.... as usual its not the game ideas that i have lack on, its time to implement them =)

>Great work, and I hope we see a 128K demo in due course. ;)

personally i can say this:

Sorry but you will never see a 128K demo from me! (not speaking for mr spock) .....

....it will most likely be much much bigger ;)

Not sure if to aim for 2Mb ram limit or go for something CD...

also not sure if i shold "waste" time on something like that or do playable things ...but atm i aim for playable things and see if i get some demo stuff as a restproduct =)

cheers

/Sym

personally i can say this:  

Sorry but you will never see a 128K demo from me! (not speaking for mr spock) .....  

....it will most likely be much much bigger ;)  

Not sure if to aim for 2Mb ram limit or go for something CD...  

also not sure if i shold "waste" time on something like that or do playable things ...but atm i aim for playable things and see if i get some demo stuff as a restproduct =)  

;)

Well, lets waste some more time!

Bring it on, bring it on!

:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

oops... sorry. Just wrote the link without using any html... I thought, but this forum seams to translate anyway =)

I'll try to remember that the next time I send a link ;-)

You can put URL's between [ url ] and [ /url ] specifically... (no spaces)

and you can edit any message again since the upgrade.

Anyway... as I said before, great demo, great video, anything more coming?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Well, thank you! =)

It was my first program on the Jaguar and I'm been on the lazy side lately (personal reasons), but there will be more releases further on.

Have been looking on several things, but now the focus is on building a dev-platform for games. Ataris dev tools and all is good, but unfinished, therefore I think many games just use 15% off the jaguar and hence is quite bad. I still don't know how brutal sports football made release. =)

There is one game planed. Theres alot of things one would like to do, but there is simpley not enough time to do them all.

More demos is coming aswell.

I can't say a date at this time, but I will ofcouse post here when I know more =)

Hi!

Now finally it's time to release  the little 96Kb intro I did to the DHS 96Kb intro comp.

http://www.cs.umu.se/~mat97jkn/tng/96kb_demo/

CU

/Mr spock@tng

826042[/snapback]

Super cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Not too spectacular ;) but its a start :) ...

WE WANT MORE DEMOS!!!

I WANT MORE TIME! Just a couple of hours a week guaranteed would help.

However, what "the scene" needs is some more talented programmers, I

would love to see more Falcon/ST/Amigas showing what they can do, but

they don't do it for praise, they do it because they LOVE their machines...

and we need more people to love the Jaguar, and talk about it much less.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

WE WANT MORE DEMOS!!!

871448[/snapback]

=) ...and WE Want your music in them!!! ;-) ....loved the tunes in BEAMS ..(that was you right?).

sincerely... any future demos from me (speaking for my self) will be music less or some lame mod or even worse homemede stuff.... So if someone better at music could do that part it would be great! =)

I will probably go for CD audio for future "bigger" productions... hence NO restriction on audio! ...(except that it should be realy realy good! ;) ...and preferabely a mix between techno,DepecheMode & TAO blipp blopp... =) with nice "syncable" bass beats =)

Hmm... demo coding for the jaguar... well.. i wonder how meny would appresiate that instead of a playable game... its like two different things... jaguar scenes is mostly composed of gamers (as i understood it)... though the jag has Soooo huge scene potential that ..something drastic has to be made soon =)

enough talk...

/Symmetry of TNG

WE WANT MORE DEMOS!!!

871448[/snapback]

=) ...and WE Want your music in them!!! ;-) ....loved the tunes in BEAMS ..(that was you right?).

sincerely... any future demos from me (speaking for my self) will be music less or some lame mod or even worse homemede stuff.... So if someone better at music could do that part it would be great! =)

I will probably go for CD audio for future "bigger" productions... hence NO restriction on audio! ...(except that it should be realy realy good! ;) ...and preferabely a mix between techno,DepecheMode & TAO blipp blopp... =) with nice "syncable" bass beats =)

Hmm... demo coding for the jaguar... well.. i wonder how meny would appresiate that instead of a playable game... its like two different things... jaguar scenes is mostly composed of gamers (as i understood it)... though the jag has Soooo huge scene potential that ..something drastic has to be made soon =)

enough talk...

/Symmetry of TNG

873061[/snapback]

Yes it was me doing the music ;)

Maybe our coder will give jag-demo-coding a try sometime in

the future... but this will take a while as he don't even has a Jag

at the moment... but there is interest ;)

• 1 month later...

Hmm... I should have posted on this long ago, but I've been kinda out of the loop recently.

Spock/Sym: Gorgeous demo (all the bits of it), may it be the first of many. I too would love to see that tutorial, its a nice tunnel, very pretty, Im impressed.

If a better way could be found... which supported coloring, texturemapping..... that would be great!

828979[/snapback]

Hmm... you mean new import tools for the Atari 3D library? I think when I turn to 3D stuff I'd be more inclined to write my own 3D code, partly because Im not sure how fast or efficient the Atari code is. Given that most of their code has the feeling of "this is just an example, it's really slow so dont use it, but here is how to speed it up" I'd be quite wary of using it for anything, especially demoscene work where you really want to show off your best skills, and not rely on slow libraries from Atari.

828979[/snapback]

I'd be interested in a copy of that version too, as I've got some 3D libraries, but not the one that it sounds like you have. Perhaps one day, once I feel I've got most of the tools, I'll upload a zip file of my dev files (I keep my own code separate so that I can do that if I need to).

828979[/snapback]

Ok, I'll wait, but I wanna read it (the tutorial and the source). As I said, gorgeous effect.

--I chalange everyone to join in & create a better one! ;)  (trying to spore developement ;)

828979[/snapback]

Ooooh yeah *evil grin*

Nothing like a little friendly rivalry to motivate people, and what better way than a demo scene springing up for the old cat?

the effect has lost its "WoW" feeling so no its pritty much wasted.. but yes.. it could be used for a game in itself...

832782[/snapback]

Well, *that* tunnel has lost its impact, but there are always going to be tunnels in demos.

832782[/snapback]

Hmm... I say write both. Games are inherently bigger projects, and take more time. Many of the routines developed for one can be applied to the other, so do both in parallel, show off your skills with frequent demo releases, and work quietly on games in the background.

WE WANT MORE DEMOS!!!

871448[/snapback]

Indeed, we do :D.

However, what "the scene" needs is some more talented programmers, I

would love to see more Falcon/ST/Amigas showing what they can do, but

they don't do it for praise, they do it because they LOVE their machines...

and we need more people to love the Jaguar, and talk about it much less.

872525[/snapback]

Seconded. One has to love what one does. Thankfully the Jag has so much character (read: fscking annoying bugs) that it seems hard for anyone not to love it (everyone loves a challenge, right?).

873061[/snapback]

Yeah the Jag does seem to be seriously lacking in the audio department. If anyone in the non-programming Jag community has any interest in music at all, please get involved, its not that complex and we collectively need more musicians.

873061[/snapback]

I suspect there will be a demo scene. I will certainly be trying hard to bring one into being.

Edited by Tyrant