IGNORED

Atari prototype master 2600 gold proms

Curt Vendel

Those are very cool--what is the significance of these gold EPROMs?

Dunno if that's gold in the literal/physical sense, though it might be.

In the IT world, a "gold" prototype or other pre-release item is the one that will become the actual release, assuming a huge glaring bug isn't found in the 11th hour. "Gold" releases are for showing the product off and/or giving it one last round of QA before it goes into production.

In the IT world, a "gold" prototype or other pre-release item is the one that will become the actual release, assuming a huge glaring bug isn't found in the 11th hour.  "Gold" releases are for showing the product off and/or giving it one last round of QA before it goes into production.

I'm very familiar with the term "gold master" (I'm a software developer myself and have shipped several games), just wondering if the "gold" chips (whether real or just colored that way) have any significance versus normal EPROMs. I don't know much about the production process for masked ROMs, but I'm wondering if these chips were involved in the production of the ROMs that found their way into carts. As opposed to the typical EPROM prototypes that have found their way out of Atari.

..Al

From what I can determine, these appear to be the initial run of prom's from the factory, in this case - AMD before going into full production run of the prom chips in the standard dip packaging.

Ebay did send me a notice that the auctions were under review and actually held them for about 3-4 hours before finally releasing the auctions and allowing them to be posted, so it looks like they passed their review and will run their course. One of the games I have, I have 3 of the chips, so I may remove the lid from one of them, most likely it will look similar to an eprom without the glass window I would care to guess.

Curt

Wow. eBay let something pass. I guess they determined that these were legitemate masters (much like the gold masters of the recording world) that in and of themselves belong to the person that has posession of them (as opposed to being IP that belongs to someone else).

I'm very familiar with the term "gold master" (I'm a software developer myself and have shipped several games), just wondering if the "gold" chips (whether real or just colored that way) have any significance versus normal EPROMs.  I don't know much about the production process for masked ROMs, but I'm wondering if these chips were involved in the production of the ROMs that found their way into carts.  As opposed to the typical EPROM prototypes that have found their way out of Atari.

Ah. That I don't know. I was guessing that they used gold, or a gold color, here to represent the same thing as a gold master elsewhere.