IGNORED

ColecoVision - The best is yet to come

opcode

Do you remember this ad, "The best is yet to come"? Coleco used it to promote some new, mysterious hardware, which could have been the computer module (Adam), or perhaps something else...

Many CV owners believe this ad was intended for the ill-fated Super Game Module, which was canceled after the Adam had been announced...

But if you study the CV expansion port carefully, you will notice that it does have more lines than both the Adam or the Super Game Module used or would have used in fact. It seems that Coleco did have something bigger in mind.... What would it be?

Probably we will never know for sure, but one can't be blamed for dreaming...

More in a couple of days... ;)

Eduardo

But if you study the CV expansion port carefully, you will notice that it does have more lines than both the Adam or the Super Game Module used or would have used in fact.

I really wouldn't read too much in to this. I design hardware for a living and lots of times we will design in extra stuff like this "just in case", with no immediate intended use in mind. Perhaps Coleco just had some extra space on the connector and thought "what the heck", we'll throw these here signals on it...

But if you study the CV expansion port carefully, you will notice that it does have more lines than both the Adam or the Super Game Module used or would have used in fact.

By the way, Coleco used the expansion port for more than what you have listed. They also used it for:

1) The Coleco Atari 2600 adapter.

2) The Coleco Adam Autodialer.

i'd like a disk drive so new coleco games could easily be passed around without the trouble of making them into carts.... sorta like a game doctor for the CV

A Coleco Adam with a disk drive and the appropriate software can already do exactly that. And as a bonus, an Adam gives you composite video which the Colecovision does not.

i'd like a disk drive so new coleco games could easily be passed around without the trouble of making them into carts.... sorta like a game doctor for the CV

A Coleco Adam with a disk drive and the appropriate software can already do exactly that. And as a bonus, an Adam gives you composite video which the Colecovision does not.

I beg to differ, the ColecoVision can output composite video...

back7zn.jpg

I beg to differ, the ColecoVision can output composite video...

I am aware of your work. I was referring to stock Colecovision and Adam units. Clearly anything can be modified to do just about anything in this world with enough time and money....

Doubledown - that Coleco you have is friggin sweet looking! I've never been into the Coleco as it wasn't really easy to get ahold of games or systems as the Atari was in my area so I steered clear from it but man that thing looks awesome!!!

Just to give Doubledown more publicity, I highly recommend one. Not only do you play CV games with AV but with the Atari adapter you can enjoy 2600 games through AV as well. (I got one obviously from DD and its just great)