IGNORED

ColecoVision - The best is yet to come

opcode

@Eduardo:  Don't let the skepticism in here discourage or dissuade you from continuing and following through with this project.  Admittedly, it sounds "too good to be true" - that's a GOOD thing, especially if/when you pull it off!

Don't worry, I am a slave of all these CV projects. I just can't stop, even if I get a zillion of negative feedback... ;)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to see this on the CV, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten more skeptical.

One of these days I'll purchase your games for the CV, as I've heard nothing but good things about them...

I'm excited too. I have to say if this is all legit, I'll be the first in line to cough up some bread to buy one of these.

Speaking of MSX... I have a Colecovision and I think its a fun little system. I dont have an MSX but I've taken a bit of interest in it in the past, around the time Metal Gear Solid was big on PS1. I understand that the architecture is similar between MSX and Coleco... but what is the story there? I have to plead ignorance to knowing a complete in-depth history of both systems, especially MSX. How are they related, if at all? And what was the relationship between the MSX format and Microsoft?

i don't think Eduardo is pulling a prank. He told me abotu this project awhile back, before April 1st.

He is a dedicated MSX/Coleco fan.

This is definitely not a prank, I've read detailed technical documentation for this project that Eduardo wrote up well before April 1st.

..Al

To Eduardo:

I was just reading Ralph Baer's new book and he talks about the laser disc interface capability of the Colecovision and how he wishes someone one day would do something to explote this. Is adding some feature like this on to this new Colecovision a possiblity? Just curious. I would imagine that if you contacted Mr. Baer, he might be able to give you more info on this.

Allan

Yes!!! I remember the magazines back then that said that one day Dragon's Lair (with a huge laserdisc :sad:) would have been playable.

Eduardo really doesn't joke and the games are the best "homebrew" games I've played on the Colecovision. The Space Invaders Collection is simply amazing. I bought it and I HIGHLY recommend it, unless of course you really don't like Space Invaders or the CV.

To Eduardo:

I was just reading Ralph Baer's new book and he talks about the laser disc interface capability of the Colecovision and how he wishes someone one day would do something to explote this. Is adding some feature like this on to this new Colecovision a possiblity? Just curious. I would imagine that if you contacted Mr. Baer, he might be able to give you more info on this.

Allan

Laser Discs are hard to find now a day. Besides, who could produce laser games or even manufacture the big discs themselves? CD-ROMs would be more interesting though. But I need to check if a Z80 would drive a CD-ROM player at acceptable speed... It would be interesting... Mr Carchano has developed a way to direct access the video memory, which would lead to fantastic video animations, probably at PCEngine/Turbo Grafx level... Hmm, CD-R recorders are so accessible now a day, eh? ;)

Eduardo

I dont mean to be a nag but can someone educate me on how it came to be that the MSX and Coleco systems are so similar?

I believe the CV led to the Spectravideo, and the Spectravideo led to the MSX. I am almost 100% sure about the Spectravideo/MSX part.

About the MS participation, I think it was just a marketing plot. The MSX was created by Mr Nishi from ASCII Corp. MSX users have found evidences that neither the MSX-Basic neither the MSX-DOS were programmed by MS itself. The only reason for using the MS name was cause ASCII was the MS representative in Japan back in the early 80s.

Eduardo

I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

Interesting that MS has hung on to the "MSX" lineage with the MSXbox, intentionally nor not! :D

And yes.... a Coleco CD... that would be a thing of beauty.

The similarity between Colecovision an Spectrovideo may have been coincidental. Both had 6502 CPU's, but that was the most popular CPU of the time. Both had the same stock, off the shelf graphics and sound chips from Texas Instruments, but those chips were among the best and most popular low-cost sound and graphics chips that could be bought at that time.

To Eduardo:

Allan

Laser Discs are hard to find now a day. Besides, who could produce laser games or even manufacture the big discs themselves? CD-ROMs would be more interesting though. But I need to check if a Z80 would drive a CD-ROM player at acceptable speed... It would be interesting... Mr Carchano has developed a way to direct access the video memory, which would lead to fantastic video animations, probably at PCEngine/Turbo Grafx level... Hmm, CD-R recorders are so accessible now a day, eh? ;)

Eduardo

Good point about the laser discs. Yes, slow speed CD-ROMs might work. It would be neat if you could do something like film a walk in the woods with a smurf character (in graphics) walking and jumping along or do Mach 3 (sp?) using the video from the game.

Allan

The similarity between Colecovision an Spectrovideo may have been coincidental. Both had 6502 CPU's, but that was the most popular CPU of the time. Both had the same stock, off the shelf graphics and sound chips from Texas Instruments, but those chips were among the best and most popular low-cost sound and graphics chips that could be bought at that time.

Both had Z-80a CPU's. The CV has a TI sound chip, the Spectravideo and MSX use the General Instruments AY-3-8910 PSG.

Hi!

Since I am officially sick today, I am taking the chance to work full time on my first SEM game...

I have just finished the opening animation. :D

A few comments:

- graphics are mostly based on the MSX2 version, but with several small enhancements (and a few big ones, like the title screen).

- it isn't a port of the MSX2 version though, since that machine doesn't have hardware scroll (while the SEM does have). The MSX2 version uses static screens, with a screen switch taking place everytime Simon touches a screen corner. The SEM version will take full advantage of the SEM hardware scroll, for smooth scrolling.

- the game itself will borrow elements from both the Famicom/NES and MSX2 versions. Gameplay will be mosty action paced (like the Famicom), but with many items found in the MSX2 version. Stages will be bigger than the Famicom version, allowing more exploration. The key system used in the MSX2 version will be replicated here.

The screenshot bellow shows the difference between the Famicom and SEM graphics. This particular scene isn't that different though, but many stages do have noticiable graphic improvements...

Eduardo

post-1432-1113414815_thumb.jpg