IGNORED

VGXPO : November 12/13 : Fort Washington, PA

Mark Wolfe

Is it just going to be Philly Classic at the center or will there be another convention at the same time?

Its what I refer to as "a show within a show" . NBC runs "Tech Expos" in several cities. NBC10 is our local affiliate and we've had a booth, more like a large area, for our philly classic exhibit two years running. We typically bring 10 tvs, 10 consoles, atari to xbox, and several arcade machines. We were so popular at the expo that now, 2 years later, we've been asked to piggyback on to their tech expo and do whatever we want, no strings, no "suggestions" about what we "should" have. It will be the same show we would have planned anyway.

there are a few downsides to sharing space but I prefer to discuss the positives:

1. we get a HUGE amount of space to do our show, imagine PC5 two or even three times as large!!

2. we can let people in for free now [something we've wanted to do since the end of PC4]

3. we get some free advertising and promotion

4. perceived credibility from our sponsors standpoint increases dramatically.

5. load in is easier

6. no black stained and cracked acoustic tile ceilings and no yellowing linoleum floors like at VFCC, oh and no HUGE ass columns every ten feet dividing up the space in weird ways [hate those things]

If we would be able to make it we'd want a table - any ideas on costs for those yet?

And also since PC will now be part of a bigger expo

- will it be more crowded especially with loading and unloading w/ big vendors competing for drivable space ?

- and how much space will be allowed for PC ?

(just worried about being a "litle guy"/ just someone who wants to get rid of extra stuff at a show full of larger fancy companies)

Thanks for helping us with questions or concerns we may have.

If we would be able to make it we'd want a table - any ideas on costs for those yet?  

And also since PC will now be part of a bigger expo  

- will it be more crowded especially with loading and unloading w/ big vendors competing for drivable space ?

- and how much space will be allowed for PC ?

(just worried about being a "litle guy"/ just someone who wants to get rid of extra stuff at a show full of larger fancy companies)

Thanks for helping us with questions or concerns we may have.

I know information is currently lacking and for that I am sorry and just as anxious, but I've told you everything I know for sure. I answered the space question earlier in this thread, its much much larger than what we had at PC5, trust me.

I have no idea what costs will be to vendors and as for load in, I guarantee it will be easier than traversing the VFCC, where you also have other shows loading in and out to contend with and a much longer way to walk between your table and your car/truck in narrower confines.

the "little guy" is a big part of what our show is about so you shouldn't worry and there is a MUCH higher probability of getting rid of all your stuff since there will be that many more people to buy from you.

more information is due out soon. I know Ed is really busy right now, so he'll get it out as soon as humanly possible.

-mw

I must admit that I'm just pleased to have confirmed dates for PC6 now - I'm travelling a bit farther than most, so getting vacation time organised early is a must!

Very sorry hear that the MMF's won't be attending :sad:

I'd better pack extra Guinness too!! :wink:

I must admit that I'm just pleased to have confirmed dates for PC6 now - I'm travelling a bit farther than most, so getting vacation time organised early is a must!

It's great to hear that you'll be making the trip again to attend this year's show. Look forward to seeing you come November!

..Al

You can't take your van across the show floor to use the bathroom for instance... however, there are numerous ground level loading doors [big enough for a helicopter with its propeller folded] and you can drive inside... within reason. 

LOL. :)

Can you actually get inside the exhibition hall, then? I mean, if I wanted to drive in and unload a van and then exit? Or would I need to use one of the ground level loading doors? Not really a big deal, but definitely would be easier. For instance, there usually aren't very many carts around (maybe none if there's no hotel attached to the place), so if you don't bring your own carts, that can make it even more difficult. I do have a single cart I bought a while ago (and it has proved invaluable!) but if I know I won't be needing it, then I don't have to worry about squeezing it into the truck as the last item that goes on. :)

..Al

yeah you can get in the main hall since its all connected and when stripped of any dressing is basically like one HUGE friggin room, more like an airplane hanger. As I recall they had some carts available but I will make sure that all these details are discussed and posted when we get that far.

also the loading doors are the load in area you use, there is no other good way to load in, but they have like 8 doors and each one is big enough for a semi so you're good to go. its just a matter of how far will the philly classic area be from those doors.

as soon as I have a clear idea of all this I will share it :)

832134[/snapback]

Since my name was mentioned in an earlier post, I will jump in and agree with everything Mark & Curt are saying about this place. The reference to an "airplane hanger" is pretty accurate. You literally drive your car/truck/van right into the middle of the place. Then, just dump off your gear, and drive right back out. The PhillyClassic guys, myself included, have done some work in this building in the past as Mark mentioned above, and it is a breeze to get stuff in and out of here.

In the past, I have been in this place when they have brought a semi trucks from Best Buy, Comcast, and Hewlett Packard right into the middle of the room. Using the Ft. Washington Center certainly will make things much easier for all of the vendors.

I can not release any more details at this time, so hold off on those e-mails, but I promise there will be an update to our website www.phillyclassic.com by the end of next week [April 8/9].

Cheers!!

-Mark Wolfe

co-organizer, phillyclassic.com

828682[/snapback]

:ponder:

Since my name was mentioned in an earlier post, I will jump in and agree with everything Mark & Curt are saying about this place.  The reference to an "airplane hanger" is pretty accurate.  You literally drive your car/truck/van right into the middle of the place.  Then, just dump off your gear, and drive right back out.  The PhillyClassic guys, myself included, have done some work in this building in the past as Mark mentioned above, and it is a breeze to get stuff in and out of here.

In the past, I have been in this place when they have brought a semi trucks from Best Buy, Comcast, and Hewlett Packard right into the middle of the room.  Using the Ft. Washington Center certainly will make things much easier for all of the vendors.

836895[/snapback]

Thanks for the additional information, it really sounds great. I need to see if I can find some pictures of what this place looks like on the inside to get an idea for the space that you'll have for this year's show! :)

..Al

Nice, I didn't pay attention the "Drive in Bays" the first time I saw this layout. There's also a fourth entrance against the right wall, which is probably what we'd have to use for the "smaller" conference hall (which is where PC6 will be located). Looks like a great improvement for those of us who drag a large amount of hardware and software to the show. :)

..Al

If I remember correctly ValleForge was about 100,000 square feet - I can't seem to get the link to work - AohelL at it's best. So how big is the "smaller" conference hall?

Thanks. :D

837304[/snapback]

There is NO way we ever had 100,000 sq. feet at Philly classic. If my math is correct (which it very well may not.) Our total hall for last year at PC5 was 13,222.75 sq. feet. The hall B at the the fort washington expo claims to be 70,000. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

-Chris

Yes, the hall that they have been using for PhillyClassic the past three years (PC3 through PC5) has been 15,000 feet or less (I don't remember the exact figure). That's a fairly big space in its own right (for a classic gaming show), but it was pretty tight last year and they definitely could have used more space. Growing to 40,000 feet is going to be interesting, and I know they'll be doing some cool stuff to take advantage of all that space. Should be a more spacious show, with new activities and attractions that haven't been possible in years past due to lack of space. We had a fairly large "booth" at last year's show, and I'm wondering what we'll be able to do this year. :)

..Al

Where are you getting the 40,000 feet number from? Do we know where in that diagram PC6 will be?

It's very unlikely that I'll be able to attend due to the time frame, but I'm still interested in what it's going to be like. It's just going to be too risky to plan an eight hour drive from Vermont in late November. :(

Where are you getting the 40,000 feet number from? Do we know where in that diagram PC6 will be?

That came from the first post in this thread. :)

It's very unlikely that I'll be able to attend due to the time frame, but I'm still interested in what it's going to be like. It's just going to be too risky to plan an eight hour drive from Vermont in late November. :(

837911[/snapback]

Is it any worse than driving to Philly in March? I know we had to drive through heavy snow on our way out of Pennsylvania after last year's show. And November is still in the fall, while most of March is still in the Winter. I would think the possibilities for snow are worse in March.

..Al

Sounds great and I hope I can go! If there is free admission and so many people expected, I hope security is good and that there will be people in charge of protecting the arcade machines. It seems like theft and vandalism become bigger issues with free admission and the numbers of people expected. I would hate to see the trust and community of classic gaming shows threatened.

Is it any worse than driving to Philly in March?  I know we had to drive through heavy snow on our way out of Pennsylvania after last year's show.  And November is still in the fall, while most of March is still in the Winter.  I would think the possibilities for snow are worse in March. 

Farther north than Philly, it definately is. The snow is usually just starting to pile up by then, whereas mid-March it's often starting to melt off. We're much more likely to have a noreaster in November than March. So while Philly may be nice in November, Vermont and Massachusetts definately are NOT.

It's also a week and a half before Thanksgiving, when we're likely to do some sizable travelling.

I want to hear no more complaining about snow. I have lived in the Philly area for 23 years and I can't remember the last time we had a major snow storm in November. Hell I was still washing my car outside in November.... (We hit a bunch of days at 70 degrees or so this year) So stop worrying and think positive!

Xot, I dont know what it is like in Vermont in Nov. But Philly should be snow free...

Edited by GrandAmChandler

Hello folks...

The time of year should actually be a lot better weather-wise than in March. We rarely see snow that early, and the temperature is actually not that bad.

There is actually one hotel renovation and a new construction one going up within a couple of miles of the convention center.

Though Valley Forge is right around the corner, the convenience of Fort Washington is kinda nice.

Very sorry hear that the MMF's won't be attending :sad:

I'd better pack extra Guinness too!! :wink:

834584[/snapback]

If we were coming you'd definitely need extra Guinness! :lolblue:

Oh well, I guess since we can't make PC, we'll just have to plan a trip to the UK instead. Just last night I had it on good authority that I need to try a "chip buttie" and who knows, maybe while we're hanging out with you I'll stumble into a Doctor Who taping and end up being an extra. :D

If we were coming you'd definitely need extra Guinness! :lolblue:

Oh well, I guess since we can't make PC, we'll just have to plan a trip to the UK instead.  Just last night I had it on good authority that I need to try a "chip buttie" and who knows, maybe while we're hanging out with you I'll stumble into a Doctor Who taping and end up being an extra. :D

839845[/snapback]

:grin: I can certainly arrange the chip buttie!

It'd be good to see you and the missus over here. :cool: