IGNORED

New Q*bert Atari 7800 Homebrew

Albert

I just tried this version.  I got to level 5 and I thought that was too easy.  It seems like I had to deal with, at the most, was two or three enemies at a time.

874521[/snapback]

I will probably still tweak some of the difficulty and provide a few selections with one hopefully approximately the "normal" arcade standard difficulty (which I find too easy since you hit a point where you can earn a free life every 2 boards and the screens essentially repeat). The arcade also has a harder setting which I may duplicate in an expert mode. And then there is always FHMC version I may consider adding.

I will say that if you hit level 7, I do ramp up all the speeds.

I can tweak both the object release rate and object speed. I tried to make my object release rates match the arcade but will work on it. The object speed is not quite as granular as I would like though.

One more new verison for tonight. Fixed the Player displays at the top on two player (and also, in the [1] after the player should never have the 1 be invisible because it matches the block color)

This update required DLI additions and an additional font was added so let me know if I broke anything.

qbert.zip

Fixed DLI problem with disc at top of screen but still is not 100% correct (a little bit of garbage displays above the disc). You will first notice this on level 1, round 4.

Improved player selection a little with done with a joystick (left and right cycles opposite directions through the selections vs any direction advancing as select does).

Added High Score Cart support (not tested 100%).

qbert.zip

Here's my take on how Coily should look like. I feel this captures what Coily looks like in the arcade version. This time he has whites in his eyes.

I got a question about those red balls, how many kinds of them are there? I'm talking about the different speeds those balls go.

When I was looking for shots of Coily, I noticed every enemy pauses on a cube before jumping. I think that making the objects pause a cube for bit keeps them on the playfield longer and if you ramp the drop speed, that makes the game more challeging.

post-4750-1119036326_thumb.png

Animated second title screen.  Background color changes for both title screens.

876429[/snapback]

Looks great!

I had one issues using the Prosystem Emulator (don't know if this happen on a real device).

There seems to be a DLI problem in NTSC mode on the instruction screen (Text color).

It looks ok on PAL mode.

If I may, There seems to be one little thing I've noticed:

When coily reaches the bottom as a ball (and sits there before turning into the spring), I think he sits there a little too long before coming after the player... I believe the Arcade version doesn't have as much of a gap of time there...

BTW, You've done an awesome job!

Thanks for listening

Bob

Implemented Bakasama's coily graphics.

Fixed coily sometimes having a missing line in the middle of the body when he was near the top of the screen (although, with the new graphics, now he it taller and sometimes his head will go a little off the top of the screen, but I don't think that is much of a problem)

Shortened coily hatch time a little. Maybe it still needs to be shortned more?

qbert.zip

The new coily graphic (and the new Q*bert graphic) really make a difference - looks really great!

Difficulty seems closer to arcade, also.  :thumbsup:

879606[/snapback]

I'm glad you like the new graphics. I'm currently working making improved versions of Ugg and Wrong Way but that part is going to take a while to finish.

• 2 months later...

Fixed coily sometimes having a missing line in the middle of the body when he was near the top of the screen (although, with the new graphics, now he it taller and sometimes his head will go a little off the top of the screen, but I don't think that is much of a problem)

Shortened coily hatch time a little.  Maybe it still needs to be shortned more?

877912[/snapback]

Kenfused -

You have been doing an outstanding job - I am really enjoying the game on my 7800 with CC2, and moreso now that I am using new joysticks from my Flashback 2. It seems really close to being complete. I really like how you can choose horizontal or diagonal joystick placement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Game just keeps getting better and better Ken.

Curt

Shortened coily hatch time a little.  Maybe it still needs to be shortned more?

877912[/snapback]

I did notice one thing slightly off with the game. When wrongway (green creature with legs) jumps on tiles on Level 3, if the tile is till the original color, it will changes to the desired color.

I'm not sure how the arcade version behaves, but on the Colecovision version if wrongway jumped on a tile with the original color, it stayed the original color. It didn't try to help the player out in any way.

• 1 month later...

Finally after bouts of WoW and figuring out what the blasted images are. I present more graphics for Ugg and Wrong Way.

The animation, based what I can get from the arcade game, is 12342342341 as they are jumping from cube to cube.

post-4750-1131917897.pngpost-4750-1131917972.png

After reading about the history of the 7800 and finding out that it's possible to give a character the illusion of having 12 colors in Joust. I wonder if it possible to use that same trick on Q*Bert. The reason I ask is because if you're going to work on Faster, Harder, More Challenging, Q*Bert, Q*Bertha is going to be a bit of a problem since she uses red in addtion to two shades of violet, white, and black.