IGNORED

Qb Label Contest!

Albert

well, the space ships where used for the main actor of the game, the 'playfield' has been transformed .... you see clearly that it's playing with the game elements, not with the fact it was a portion of a perry rodan illustration.

a quarter of the illustration was covered with typo, i took out all the laser beams (as there is none is this game).... it's totally adapted to the game .... and the bumping space-smileys are really cool, you must admit ;-D

that's one point that made sense to me, as most old games had incredible artwork on the cover, while at the end the super-multicolored-superhero is just a bunch of pixel, eventually just in one single color.

i don't think that one is more "on-the-edge" than for example my fourth one: as it uses the atari logo and i am not 'allowed' to use it.

everybody 'sampling' artwork in a creative way to make something new has my support.

to see what i mean, compare the 5 ITT-Perry-Rodan carts to my artwork. you will see that my label has more relations to the game, than all 5 ITT-carts together to their respective labels. they simply used them hoping everybody would recognise perry rodan (not a big deal using 1:1 cover illustrations) and just buy the carts.

that sucks, when a foreign artwork is supposed to replace your lack of creativity .... (somebody thinks of E.T. here?)

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

A question, I don't think it says in the rules. Do you want 'Special Edition' on the label or are we just sticking with Qb.

What's yer preference?

I have no preference. Whatever looks good to you is the best way to do it. Entries so far are so amazing, I'd like to include every one of them in the special edition documentation. If you do NOT wish your entry included please drop me a note.

Cheers

A

quote:

Originally posted by jahfish:

that's one point that made sense to me, as most old games had incredible artwork on the cover, while at the end the super-multicolored-superhero is just a bunch of pixel, eventually just in one single color.

That's what I am struggling over right now... I would really like to come up with some fantastic 70's style artwork in order to misrepresent Qb the same way all its digital counterparts were misrepresented!

BTW jahfish: I really like the "Fuji as playfield" label.

quote:

Originally posted by Lost Monkey:

That's what I am struggling over right now... I would really like to come up with some fantastic 70's style artwork in order to misrepresent Qb the same way all its digital counterparts were misrepresented!

feel free to do that

but make sure to find something that really makes sence too .... it hasn't got to be old, it has to be authentic.

i bought a CD will 1500 cover pics to pick the right one for label #3

actually i thought about taking back submission #2, it was more out of fun, i just liked the hozer guy in the spacegear on the left .... i made some colored playfields but somehow they got lost .... making the label a litlle off-topic. i could imagine it more as a regular hozer label, with changing planet-illustrations in the back ...

Hehe yeah I know what you mean - like a photorealistic painting of two old men playing chess which has **** all to do with the game content. I loved the way that Atari though 'hmm, breakout - I know ...Squash!! '

quote:

If anybody is interested, my current votes go to (unordered): ....... - Dale Crum #3 (except for the weird "b" )

I wanted to say thanks for this nice comment. I was just commenting to a friend about the Thrust cover that was posted, when I noticed you post. Thanks.

quote:

Anyone know where I can find the font used in Dale Crum's submissions? It's the font used for the 'game

program' and 'using joystick controller' type. I've tried atarian, but it's not exact.

I used Bauhaus font and I believe it is commercial. I'm almost positive you can find it on the internet somewhere, just be sure to spell it correctly.

One final note: I definitly made label #4 for Thomas Jenztsch. Thanks for noticing.

Even though many of the games were savagely misrepresented by their art, I don't think the intention of the artist was to "trick" the consumer. At the time, the concept of videogames was very abstract to the common person...the art served to provide a concrete visualization of the concept of the game.

Yeah right...

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

Just looking at Dale Crum's submissions I'm wondering if there's a new Hozer logo I should know about...

Heh, no. I think he's just taking some creative liberty with it. If Dale wins, he'll probably have to stick the real Hozer logo on the label somewhere, unless he can convince Randy it's time for a change..

..Al

The latest round of Qb Labels has just been posted. Here they are for your viewing pleasure:

Brett Gladson - Submission #8

Uwe Heinrich - Submission #1

Jason Parlee - Submission #3

Jason Parlee - Submission #4

Benjamin Maes - Submission #1

Lokesh Dhakar - Submission #1

Stacie Cregg - Submission #2

Stacie Cregg - Submission #3

I'm not counting, but we're now up to 48 labels (!) and we still have a week left before the contest ends. And I know other labels are in the works. I'm about to the point where I'm going to write some database queries to generate these pages automatically.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Eric:

I'm starting to pitty Andrew - he may have a harder time selecting the winning label than programming the game!

It's not only the quantity, but also the quality of the submissions ... from highly professional to funky, llamasoft-style

Yes, it's already a VERY tough choice. Couldn't be happier, though

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

Originally posted by Albert:

I've just added
David Exton's
Qb Label to the fray.

As if anyone cares, but this one is a clear winner in my mind. If only I could draw...

Cristiana Yambo - Submission #1 is worth a closer look too. You gotta have to love how brilliant she even did the endlabel!

Greetings,

Manuel

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Cybergoth ]