IGNORED

Qb Label Contest!

Albert

MoJoFLTR wrote:

quote:

(I wrote) "...the only problem will be when I get to fit them in, and how many (as I'd also like to cover the Mental Kombat and Gunfight contests too)"

An idea might be to interview each game author about their games, and then mention the label contests, showing the top 5 (or however many) finalists for each game. That way you could save the space it would take to print up however many hundred entries there were.

And then you could do a short interview with each of the contest winners. :-)

Damn, man, that's not a bad idea at all... It'll take me a while to do it (not next issue, that's for sure!), but I may just do that. Thanks for suggesting it!

PS -- congrats to the winners, the top 2 were definitely my faves; I liked the third place too, but I'm not sure it was in my top 5 or not... I'll have to review them all at some point. :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

I like
my
two labels better. And that's all what counts for me.

hehe, same for me .... my #1 would have been the third place's graphics (Cristiana Yambo #2) framed by

Tyson Auchter's #1.

would have been a great combination!

i think some people here should team up next time ....

btw, i think that the most underrated label was

Keith Erickson's ... i immediately retire my "8 of 100" rank for you! my #4 was a pretty good idea, but i didn't invest enough efforts in it as it was my last fast contribution. and you can clearly see on my 4 submission that i was too lazy to change the typos & heads

keith, get in touch with me. i'd really like to team up with you for the next contest. did you draw all these great caracters? also i am thinking of another job where we might make some $$$

Thanks Fish! My (keith Erickson) label was my first choice to win, and I gave Lokesh Dhakar - #2 my vote for second, I guess everyone judges stuff differently. Anyway, I did draw all that stuff myself. If you wanna see some more of my art, and get in touch with me, click on my signature at the bottom of this post to visit my website.

I'd like to thank Andrew and AtariAge, especially Albert, for making this contest possible. I'd like to thank all the other entrants and the other winners for making this competition good. And I'd like to thank my mother, and my cats, and *sniff*... I promised myself I wouldn't cry... Oh, they're playing the music now, so I'd better get off. Thanks everyone!

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian:

I like the consistency of design with the Gunfight label... too bad the Jammed and Thrust labels don't have the same "look." It would be cool if all the Xype titles had that "graphic popping out of the oval" design.

See Thomas? See my wisdom?? hehe

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian:

I like the consistency of design with the Gunfight label... too bad the Jammed and Thrust labels don't have the same "look." It would be cool if all the Xype titles had that "graphic popping out of the oval" design.

See Thomas? See my wisdom?? hehe

Congrats David on winning! I knew you would and you deserve it.

I agree with Keith, I thought for sure Lokesh Dhakar's #2 would at least be one of the finalist, but I also thought mine would be one of the finalist too. heh heh.

Adrian Mims

Congrats to all the winners! Especially Dave, excellent work.

My other personal favorite was Keith Erickson's. The label's just so lively, and the colors are so vibrant against the black background. I also dug Christina Yambo's #2. She made a 3D pineapple, how can you not respect that? I was really rooting for my #2 to place, but oh well. The contest was a blast.

Cheers.

OKAY, THE RACE IS ON! WITH THIS 185TH POST TAKING THE QB THREAD INTO A SHORT LEAD ABOVE THE 'ET LANDFILLS' 184, THERES EVERYTHING TO PLAY FOR AS WE ROUND THE FIRST CORNER...

(or *bump* as it's become fashionable to do )

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

OKAY, THE RACE IS ON! WITH THIS 185TH POST TAKING THE QB THREAD INTO A SHORT LEAD ABOVE THE 'ET LANDFILLS' 184, THERES EVERYTHING TO PLAY FOR AS WE ROUND THE FIRST CORNER...

(or *bump* as it's become fashionable to do )

Nah, that's a very stupid thing.

Oops, I just did it!

I think dave did a great job on his label and should win, but just like some of the other people have already said, I too liked my own labels and I hope that Hozer would be nice to us designers and let us buy copies of the game,(After the 100 special editions are made), with our own labels like they did for us on the gunfight contest.

quote:

Originally posted by ATARIPITBULL:

I think dave did a great job on his label and should win, but just like some of the other people have already said, I too liked my own labels and I hope that Hozer would be nice to us designers and let us buy copies of the game,(After the 100 special editions are made), with our own labels like they did for us on the gunfight contest.

Though I cannot prevent people putting their own labels on Qb cartridges, my preference as author is to see Qb sold with official labels only. That way *I* know what's out there. If you really want your own label, you can buy/make a Qb cartridge and affix whatever you desire.

As I said, that's my preference. I'm not about to sue anyone affixing a non-standard label, but I would hope people would respect my request.

• 5 months later...

You are going to be so happy with it when you recieve it. The label is great, The box looks awsome, you get the book with all the codes, and the CD rom has the label design picture on the case, but it would have been sweet if the CD rom had the picture on it too, but for the price we paid, you get a whole lot of game. You should get yours soon, mine was number #88.

:grin: :o :cool:

David,

Your label design looks really good on the cart. I am only sorry my seems to be a bit on the faded side...Still, I have a great game with lots of great stuff inside...Looking over the Source code alone is some interesting reading material..and I don't even know how to code! It is so well documented that you almost feel like your sitting next to Andrew as he was punching out the code...well..almost.

Anyway, here is a scan of my QB #74 (Year I was born...) that I got about a month ago.

QBSE_BugCart.jpg

If you look at the blue off to the left and middle of the cart..you can see some fading. Almost like the ink was beginning to run dry by the time mine was getting printed...hehe..

8)

Cool...err......how does the label look? I only ask as I don't have my copy yet, but that's only because I'm number 100:)

I just dug out my cart (2/100) to have a look at the label. It looks great and I think you'll be quite satisfied with the results. It also looks quite pleasing on the jewel-case insert for the CD-ROM containing the development archive and other information.

..Al

I received mine yeterday as well. It really is a good looking label. I showed this to some of my friends today, and eventhough they are not Atari fans; they thought the whole deal with the packaging was very impressive. :)

I am only sorry my seems to be a bit on the faded side..If you look at the blue off to the left and middle of the cart..you can see some fading. Almost like the ink was beginning to run dry by the time mine was getting printed

AFAIK, Don't the people who payed the $6 for the replacement board get another label anyway?

I checked the status page, and it seems you have an R2 next to your name. So if you are (JH: #74) you should receive a new label later. I wouln't worry about it too much for now. :)

Cool...err......how does the label look? I only ask as I don't have my copy yet, but that's only because I'm number 100:)

Hey Dave!

I got mine about a month ago, and all I'll tell you this much: it is a really nice package to open! Andrew made a great game and finished up nicely with a great design for the label. I'm one of the ones getting a replacement label in the future, as I opted for the original cart with the error in the code and a replacement board. I am thinking of putting one of my own designs on the faulty cart...hmmm.... :evil:

...but I can't take the label off the faulty cart because my collector mentality keeps telling me that I would be destroying an original cartridge.... |:)

It is really too bad for Andrew with the problems he has had... with the production and distibution of this game, and (again) I hope this does not dissuade him from making future releases.