IGNORED

Atari 1064 on a 800XL?

Not that my market is a good indication - but I went 400, 600XL then 800XL within 18 months.

The 800XL came to less than the combined 600XL + 1064 price by a fair margin. I can't say for sure but I think the 1064 would have cost near $250.

From memory I paid somewhere around $500 - $600 for the 800XL in 1984, in fact probably less than 6 months after buying the 600XL.

For the original retail price - Compute! magazine archives can be found around the place, they're one of the best ways to get prices of the period.

• Like 1

Flabby - it's a 6K bloat of the original and the initial impression is that there's not a lot more features for the 60% increase in size.

The article is somewhat wrong in praising the OS for inclusion of Basic - it's still a detached, seperate product. And of course the article must have been early days before it was discovered what a steaming turd Rev B really is.

• Like 1

Hello guys

I loved ANALOG Computing too, but sometimes the distance between what they said and the truth was humongous. Just read back some of the stuff they wrote about MyDOS. If they would have been a newspaper it would have been called sloppy journalism. Or as they say nowadays: Fake News.

Sincerely

Mathy

I think the sloppy journalism (back then) was the result of the lack of information that came with a product. Manufacturers often took facts for granted and don't inform others. If "the others" happened to be the same ones that need to review your product you quickly run into situations like this.

I mean, you can't do much if "Atari announced a $100,- 48K module" is all you got and by the time the magazine was printed a properly priced 1064 would already be available, making the article somewhat outdated.

In the Analog Computing review of the new 600XL they mention a 48K $100 memory expansion module. For what it's worth...

attachicon.gifAnalog Computing - Issue 15, page 37.jpg

"Having a bug-free Basic on board"...... yup.......nice try. It had Rev.B which had the worst Atari Basic bug ever..... for lack of money and software, I typed in a lot of listings.....very regularly the 600XL locked up with no reason.....I sent it back for repair, and it was returned with a Rev.C Basic....took an entire freaking 3 weeks....which felt like 3 months....

The whole topic of this thread is fun. a 6502 has a memory address space of 64K. You can't get any more RAM without bank-switching, which only was introduced with the XE series....

Edited by Level42

You can't get any more RAM without bank-switching, which only was introduced with the XE series....

The official Atari, yes, but third party bank switched memory expansions, like Mosaic and MagnaRAM, were already around in the early 400/800 era.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Caterpiggle said:

Anyone or somebody who knew how to hack 1064 module to make work with 800XL by re-route hack able on daughter card ?

Why? The 1064 is designed to be used as 64K main memory which the 800XL already has, not extended memory.

The SYSCHECK II is a better option, its RAM can be mapped to replace the internal 64K or as up to 512K of extended RAM.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

Anyone or somebody who knew how to hack 1064 module to make work with 800XL by re-route hack able on daughter card ?

I have done it for giggles, but requires a lot of work. So TOTALLY NOT worth it. 800xl cannot support the 1064 at all without some serious mods.

James

Hello Caterpiggle

Using a 1064 on a 800XL is like using the (normal sized) spare tire on your car when the other tires are fine.  It changes NOTHING, it just replaces something with something that is exactly the same.

Or like typing "Mathy", deleting "Mathy" and then typing "Mathy" in the exact same location, the same font, the same size and the same color.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

• 8 months later...