IGNORED

5200: Pac-Man Plus Version .1 (Hey Breakpack!) :D

PacManPlus

OK, thanks to someone over at GP32x, I finally did get the Atari 800 emulator running and all three of the games do work on the GP32.  :)

I did notice that Hanglyman still has a couple of "bugs" that you took out of Pacman Plus and original Pacman. By far the biggest of these is the monsters staying blue forever on no blue boards. Did you fix that for the Hanglyman carts you made up?

--Jason

842982[/snapback]

Unfortunately, no - as that bug was very elusive, and I only figured it out recently - after I made up (and sold) all of the Hangly-Man carts :(

Edited by PacManPlus

I have to say, I really like Atariboy's label. It's the same style as the Hangly Man one, would fit well with the pseudo Pac Man series you have going and it nice and colorful, lol.

843403[/snapback]

You know what... You're right - consistency is a wonderful thing. That's a great idea.

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Being a huge Pac-man fan...I'm really looking forward to a cart of this. Great work PMP!

843616[/snapback]

Thank you very much :) I am really enjoying this... I was just thinking; the only pac variations left that the 5200 does not have now are:

Pac & Pal (hmmm.... severe hacking to the Super Pac-Man prototype?)

New Puck X / 2 (different maze - would be somewhat difficult to do because of the quick little turns on it)

Miss Pac Attack (hmmm, another idea there)

Pac-Mania (interesting to see how it would look on the 5200 - kenfused?) :D

Am I missing any?

I do not count Pac Man Jr. (The Pinball / Video Game hybrid for obvious reasons) and Professor Pac-Man (which is just a quiz game with the 'Pac-Man' name splashed on it)

It would be cool to have a system that has all of the different variations on it...

Edited by PacManPlus

I do not count Pac Man Jr. (The Pinball / Video Game hybrid for obvious reasons)

Small correction:

Baby Pac-Man is the Pinball/Video Game Hybrid:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=B&game_id=6987

Jr. Pac-Man is already available here:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=790

:D

For any that are interested, Baby Pac-Man is very nicely emulated (As good as Pinball emulation/simulation can be for now), under Visual Pinball/Visual PinMAME:

http://www.vpforums.com/vptables/info/disp...ble=baby_pacman

The above is actually a screen capture of an older revision. It looks even better now. Screenshot(s) really does not do the emulation justice. It is much better when you play (Especially at higher resolutions - 800x600 looks good, 1024x768 great, 1600x1200 looks fantastic).

-Trebor

I do not count Pac Man Jr. (The Pinball / Video Game hybrid for obvious reasons)

Small correction:

Baby Pac-Man is the Pinball/Video Game Hybrid:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=B&game_id=6987

Jr. Pac-Man is already available here:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=790

:D

-Trebor

844174[/snapback]

Allright, allright - Baby Pac-Man was what I meant... It was late when I posted that :D

I could have sworn I saw a Miss Pac Plus hack in an arcade once (or a laundromat) where the ghosts behaved like they do in Pac Man Plus with the energizers and the ghosts with the flags on their heads.....anyone??

844370[/snapback]

You mean this:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=M&game_id=8783

It is in MAME in case your interested.

-Trebort

I have not heard any complaints, and I've been playing it myself, so I think it's safe to say yes, it's complete :)

849180[/snapback]

Thanks for the awesome hack. I've been playing this for weeks and I couldn't wait for a cart so I made my own this weekend (attached). I wanted something that incorporated the original Pacman Plus marquee so I went with my own label.

post-5778-1115611037_thumb.jpg

The only complaint I have of Pacman and any of the 5200 variants is the collision detection on the power pellets. On the original arcade if you were even touching a power pellt as a ghost touched you, they would turn blue. On the 5200 if you're eating a power pellet and the ghost touches you, you die. It seems like the logic order is off. Does it check for a ghost collision before a power pellet collision?

-Jeff

I could have sworn I saw a Miss Pac Plus hack in an arcade once (or a laundromat) where the ghosts behaved like they do in Pac Man Plus with the energizers and the ghosts with the flags on their heads.....anyone??

844370[/snapback]

You mean this:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=M&game_id=8783

It is in MAME in case your interested.

-Trebort

851077[/snapback]

That's not the game he described. No flags. Tho there were variations of this game (Ms.Pac itself began as a hack)...the version that I played back in the day had mazes that differed from Ms Pac Attack's.

Speculation:

It could be that they incorporated the 5e and 5f roms from the "official" Pac Plus into the Ms Pac Attack boards (in addition to the maze GFX, 5e has the lower fruit symbols...while 5f holds the moving sprite data). As a quick test, I simply moved 5f from the PacPlus romset into a copy of MsPacAtk...set up a new directory to move all my Pac Mame romsets to (so fuzzy name compares won't work), and moved the new romset into the old roms directory. It griped that the checksum was wrong, but PacMame still ran it. Aside from some character glitches (due to Pac Plus not having enough info for the Pac sprite, it worked). Dunno much about hacking Mame roms, but there's some editors out there to perfect it. The fruits were all changed to be the PacPlus versions (tho the colors need tweaking), and the monsters have little flags.

This is the glitchy romset that I stuck together. Runs under PacMame 37b12...but you could use the same method to create a newer one. Be sure to copy your REAL version of MsPacAtk.zip to a safe location before trying this :!:

mspacatk.zip

Hey Jeff:

Thanks for the compliments :)

I agree with you, I don't exactly care for the collision detection of Atari's Pac-Man either, but that is beyond my knowledge to fix. :(

BTW - VERY cool label :)

Edited by PacManPlus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is just more a guess than anything.

But from what I remember in the 5200 pac-man is that the power pellets would blink and the only time the collision problem would occur is when the pellet is invisible or gone. Hence most likely a hardware sprite/collision issue?

Or does 5200 pac-man use software collision detection?

• 1 year later...

Hello. I was just curious, how easy would it be to create an Atari 400/800 ROM out of the 5200 version of the ROM? The reason I ask is I am trying to use the GP2X a800 emulator, and I can't for the life of me understand how to get it read the GP2X joystick as the 5200 joystick. Perhaps someone reading this can explain how to adjust the .men menu files to make that work, but I would love to have this hack as a computer ROM anyway. Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi -

Unfortunately I don't know how to convert the game frrom the 5200 to the 400/800... Can anyone do this for him?

Thanks!

Bob

Was Pacman originally an 8K rom? It looks like the game was maybe 8K and some of the hack added stuff are in the other 8K. If this is true and you would be willing to convert it to a one chip version I would try to convert it. (it would make it easier).

Hey Ken:

Yes, but it was in a 16K ROM (the first 8K was blank, which I was glad about because there didn't seem to be any room for the extra code). :( I don't have compilable source for that; I hand-assembled everything so I could put it directly into the ROM via Hack-O-Matic.

Bob