IGNORED

Atari 800 MIDI Programming

destanley

I just got a Wizztronics MIDIMAX interface for my Atari 800. It works fine with the included software (MIDI Music System), but what I really want is to program my own MIDI software.

When I try to configure the serial port I keep getting:

error 130 -- Nonexistent device

Anyone have any ideas how I can access this interface?

I'm mostly interrested in getting MIDI notes in, so that I can generate music directly with POKEY.

According to the following website, http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/s...section-43.html, the MIDIMAX interface is fully compatible with Hybrid Arts' Midi Tracks.

This is what lead me to believe that I could fairly easily use it for my own software (i.e. it's just a simple serial port). But since MIDI runs at 31250 baud, and the Atari 800 can't go that high, there's got to be some sort of circuitry, and I don't know how it's implemented. I also can't even seem to get at the interface itself by opening the right port.

I don't know the MINIDATE interface.

• 8 years later...

Sorry to necrobump ...

... but I have recently started back into my MIDI music studio, and would love to be able to integrate my Atari 1200XL. I would appreciate any info on how to program for the MidiMate or MidiMax hardware. If there existed a program which would allow one to play POKEY sounds through MIDI, it would seriously make me consider getting a MIDI interface,

I just got a Wizztronics MIDIMAX interface for my Atari 800. It works fine with the included software (MIDI Music System), but what I really want is to program my own MIDI software.

When I try to configure the serial port I keep getting:

Anyone have any ideas how I can access this interface?

I'm mostly interrested in getting MIDI notes in, so that I can generate music directly with POKEY.

MIDI, musical instrument digital interface, is a standard for

sequencing note, patch, tempo, duration. The Atari 8-bit midi

interface will only play midi files on a midi instrument. On

the Atari, you can sequence music notes and timing for four

'voices', all the same Pokey patch. I am familiar with AMS

for the Atari, to sequence notes, tempo, volume, duration.

Advanced Music System by Lee Actor you can 'sequence' a tune

to play Pokey sounds on the A8. There is also 'music composer'

sequencer I think, there may be others. MIDI data files are

used to play a midi keyboard usually. MIDI has 127 standard

patches, and a given midi instrument can have custom patches.

The patches are different sounds of different instruments,

trumpet, string bass, piano, church organ, different percussions

for example. The Atari can 'play' different 'patches' thru

a digital sound capturer, like Parrot. You can digitize any

sound with Parrot, but you can't 'sequence' the sound like

with MIDI. Music on the A8 can have varied 'patches', like

the music in many games, but programming that music is

not easy, with sequencing software like AMS. I'm sure there

are music making tools game programmers use to put music

into A8 games. That is rather specialized art form, I believe

'Miker' is well known for making such A8 music. Game music

I think is often done in the vertical blank interrupt, far

beyond what the casual A8 user can do.

Chaos Music Composer and Theta Music Composer are two other such music creation programs.

What would be ideal, would be to rework these, to be compatible with MidiMax/MidiMate, inasmuch as it would be able to read the MIDI clock data or send MIDI clock data, for synching with external clock sources such as sequencers.

What this would mean, is that you could sequence your MIDI from a windows program like Cakewalk, or use a hardware sequencer, and the Atari program would be tempo synched and even go to the correct point in the song.

Would such a thing be even possible?

The midimate and like is a very simple interface that has some buffering and that is about it. It also uses motor control i think to enable it and has a feedback on either proceed or interupt line to say i am here. Pokey does the rest, ie serial at 32,xxx baud. Custom serial software will need to be written to support that speed. Shouldnt be to hard once pokey audio frequency divisor for midi serial is worked out.

James

Well,

I do not know anything about Midi, but as always, I have some A8 software (mostly PD/Freeware) in my collection. There are also various commercial programs, like Midi Track 1, 2 and 3, Midi Master and others:

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=3.+Muzyka&tg=MIDI+Master#MIDI_Master

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes%20cd/Holmes%201/ATR%20Programs/Applications%20A-Z/

(look for keyword MIDI, there are various tools available)

If you already have dozens or hundreds or thousands of AMS music files in your A8 collection (like I do), an AMS to MMS (MMS = Midi Music System) converter might be interesting... attached it here with all my other Midi stuff. So, with this tool you can convert Pokey music to Midi and then play it back with your keyboard. A few weeks ago I downloaded hundreds of Midi files from the internet and put them on approx. one-hundred 130k or 180k ATR images... (if you are interested in getting these, let me know).

I already have a Midimate compatible interface (by Abbuc Hardwaredoc) and my brother gave me a keyboard with Midi connection. Still, I have not found the time to test the keyboard with the Midi-interface and my A8, nor do I have the cables to connect the A8 and the Keyboard. Besides, what cables do I need for a Midi connection - standard DIN-cables with 5 or 6 pins ???

-Andreas Koch.

MIDI_Tools.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Carefully here, not all 5 pin cables work! I´ve just separated my not working cables from the good ones and cut them into two pieces to make monitor-cables out of them.

@Andreas: If you like I send you two tested cables which definitely work.

Carefully here, not all 5 pin cables work! I´ve just separated my not working cables from the good ones and cut them into two pieces to make monitor-cables out of them.

@Andreas: If you like I send you two tested cables which definitely work.

Oh yes,

I am interested, will send you an E-Mail with my postal adress...

Greetings and thanks - Andreas Koch.