IGNORED

New Jaguar GCC

cdoty

In a previous post I mentioned using the NeoDev GCC compiler to compile Jaguar (Cart and BJL) programs without needed MAC and ALN.

This allows the compiler to run under Windows 2000/XP.

I've updated the example http://www.emuvibes.com/JaguarGCC.zip. I found that I wasn't correctly aligning the obj list. I've also included a make file to make a cart and encrypt the cart using the updated 'jagcrypt' (the version that handles making single file carts).

In the conversion rules, Rule 6 is changed to:

6) '.phrase' needs to be '.align 8' and

'.dphrase' needs to be '.align 16'

I was able to successfully run 'FrogBJL.jag' using Protecter SE. This is the TestRGB demo modified to use the NeoDev GCC compiler.

I intend to add a makefile to support making Jaguar CD compatible binaries. I haven't look into it yet.

Edited by cdoty

I haven't looked at this yet but I thought I would go ahead and ask if this can be used on Linux and Mac. Is there source included in the package?

Sorry, there is no source. This is a repackaging of some repackaged software. (I know this is at least the third release of this software.)

Hello,

As these messages were orphaned on the old AtariAge during changeover...

Which gcc/binutils version does the neogeo gcc consist off ?

BTW: I use lyxass together with a new gcc.

Which gcc/binutils version does the neogeo gcc consist off ?

GCC - 2.95.2

LD - 2.9.5

I haven't had any problems with these version.

Wow, quite out-dated.

I definatly have to dig out my gcc build scripts (an see if I can put gcc on my HP).

I use gcc 3.4.1 and the latest binutils.

The latest as support .incbin which is _very_ nice.

Great to see you here Bastian. :-)

I always thought about Lynxass as a TOS tool, but will have to look again,

I had overlooked that there's a PC version, or do you run it under emulation?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Great to see you here Bastian. :-)

From time to time.

I always thought about Lynxass as a TOS tool, but will have to look again,

I had overlooked that there's a PC version, or do you run it under emulation?

838722[/snapback]

lyxass/tj_ass (the C version can do both) should compile with any modern C/C++ compiler so it is

a real win32 application (if compiled with MinGW).

This reminds me to put the sources on my web-site :-)

Hello,

lyxass/tj_ass (the C version can do both) should compile with any modern C/C++ compiler so it is a real win32 application (if compiled with MinGW). This reminds me to put the sources on my web-site :-)
That would be really great, but please include an up-to-date binary as well.

The title of course remains confusing which may contribute to less Jag use.

On another note, could you upload that newer PC loader for BJL which you

helped out TXG/MNX with, because it might help out Learco, and others. I

still use Win98 for my development, so XP isn't an issue, but it seems that

if you tweaked the loader and TXG is sorted, so might other BJL users here.

Regards,

JustClaws.

I've posted a new version of the Jaguar GCC example source and Visual Studio build environment. It can be downloaded from Jaguar GCC Example.

The link to the compiler is NeoDev GCC compiler (m68k).

This new version includes a C source file. The bitmap is filled from the C source.

I've cleaned up most of the Initialization stuff. It no longer displays the licensed screen or the delay. All of the initialization has been combined into one file, rather than creating two seperate object lists. The same has been done for the Vert. Blank interrupt. In addition, I've incorporated the atexit function required for the C stuff, and moved the BSS initiailzation and clearing stuff before any graphics are initialized. The old way was causing a problem.

This hasn't been tested on a BJL or EPROM Cart, but I will try doing that in the next few days.

Edited by cdoty

There is one potential prroblem with the code. It places the Bitmap data at 0x20000, which could be overwritten by the program, if it grows. I fixed this by moving it to 0x140000, and making the text segment only 0x100000 in length (In the linker script). Also, in the linker script the raw(?) memory definition should be 'rama' and the second should be 'ramb'.

I have a question about the image though. When running the program in Project Tempest, I see a border on the right side, and my image isn't 320 pixels wide. When I run it in MESS, I have a border on the left side.

Where is this controlled from (Address) (Is this a scroll issue)?

Is this an emulator issue or code issus?

Hello,

I've posted a new version of the Jaguar GCC example source and Visual Studio build environment.

[...]

This new version includes a C source file. The bitmap is filled from the C source.

I'm really keen to try this, very nice work.

I've cleaned up most of the Initialization stuff. It no longer displays the licensed screen or the delay. All of the initialization has been combined into one file, rather than creating two seperate object lists. The same has been done for the Vert. Blank interrupt. In addition, I've incorporated the atexit function required for the C stuff, and moved the BSS initiailzation and clearing stuff before any graphics are initialized. The old way was causing a problem.
Thanks for your efforts, bringing a cross-platform solution to the Jaguar

is a great move, and you're demonstrating a pragmatic approach I admire.

People talk about the GPU, and how poor the 68000 is compared to it, but

I think what Jaguar fans want really is games, it's the results which matter.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Luckily my game won't require major horse-power, so the 68000 should work fine. If I was doing textured 3D graphics, etc. The GPU would almost be required, I think.

It's also convenient, since 3 other systems I'm working on are 68000 based. Learning the GPU, and it's issues, would eat up quite a bit of time.

Edited by cdoty

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily my game won't require major horse-power, so the 68000 should work fine. If I was doing textured 3D graphics, etc. The GPU would almost be required, I think.

It's also convenient, since 3 other systems I'm working on are 68000 based. Learning the GPU, and it's issues, would eat up quite a bit of time.

845696[/snapback]

What kind of game you're working on? I've been planning on making a simple Street Fighter 2 style game. ;)

I never thought I'd see a homebrew for the "FM Town Marty".  That's a hard system to come buy these days.  I remember reading about them back in the day but I never actually seen one. That's great. :)

Yep. :)

I was impressed with the machine when I first saw the Marty in Japan. It was a 386 based system that showed that PC could have been designed as a game machine.

After starting Frog Feast, I knew it had to be playable on the FM Towns Marty.

I'll probably be lucky to sell 5 copies, but it's amazing seeing the game run on the Marty, or at least in UNZ until my Marty arrives. :)

Hello,

I was impressed with the machine when I first saw the Marty in Japan. It was a 386 based system that showed that PC could have been designed as a game machine.

After starting Frog Feast, I knew it had to be playable on the FM Towns Marty.

I'll probably be lucky to sell 5 copies, but it's amazing seeing the game run on the Marty, or at least in UNZ until my Marty arrives. :)

I think producing a game for so many platforms is just superb.

Í hope you'll create a blog of some sort for development, that would fascinate me!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

My Marty finally came earlier this week, and I had to spend about two hours adjusting the program for the Marty, but it works. It flickers a little, I need to do double buffering.

Í hope you'll create a blog of some sort for development, that would fascinate me!

I created a blog, and gave you proper credit. :)

Frog Feast Blog

Thanks for the idea. This should be a nice way of giving people a glimpse of the ...err.. insides of Frog Feast (Kinda like a dissection in science class). :)

Currently I'm posting stuff about the development tools stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
In a previous post I mentioned using the NeoDev GCC compiler to compile Jaguar (Cart and BJL) programs without needed MAC and ALN.

This allows the compiler to run under Windows 2000/XP.

I've updated the example http://www.emuvibes.com/JaguarGCC.zip. I found that I wasn't correctly aligning the obj list. I've also included a make file to make a cart and encrypt the cart using the updated 'jagcrypt' (the version that handles making single file carts).

In the conversion rules, Rule 6 is changed to:

6) '.phrase' needs to be '.align 8' and

'.dphrase' needs to be '.align 16'

I was able to successfully run 'FrogBJL.jag' using Protecter SE. This is the TestRGB demo modified to use the NeoDev GCC compiler.

I intend to add a makefile to support making Jaguar CD compatible binaries. I haven't look into it yet.

834778[/snapback]

Goodluck with that and let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dont bother to waste your time...the Risc compiler is a pile of S$%t.

Using a compiler to write code that should be in yuour local RAM

is just plain silly anyway. Asm, Asm, Asm!!! ;)

Now if I had the sources to that compiler, i'd fix it so it would

write code according to the main RAM GPU code rules. Then it

would make sense to have one. If you only plan to run from

the local, a compiler will never be good for speed and efficiency.

EDIT NOTE: I know becasue I am the one who gave that to Roine

to post there. ;) Perhaps some day we will have those sources and

fix it all up.

Edited by Gorf