IGNORED

8 Bit Qix...Ugh!

Lord Helmet

I am a big fan of Qix. I play the 5200 version all the time, as well as the arcade version on my MAME cab.

I played the 8 Bit version the other day for the first time (I had assumed it was the same as the 5200 version). Ugh! Is it just me or is this version really bad. The flow of the game is all slow due to how long it takes to fill a closed off section with color...irritating.

True the official 8bit versions are pretty bad. However, all of the 5200 versions are also available. Most of you know this, but for the newly interested in the 8bit, the mysterious "Glenn the 5200 man" converted them years ago. You can get them here:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-8-...CENCE_ID-1.html

It's true that the A8 version lacks the visual punch of the 5200 port, but I still think that (in terms of playability) it's one of the better versions out there. I clocked many hours on A8 "Qix" in '83, and still bring it out today to play. The Lynx version, on the other hand, is a bad game despite its improved presentation.

No 1-button version of the original Qix is anything more than mediocre.

Sure the 2600 sticks used on the computer version give it the edge on pointer maneuverability, but it doesn't really matter when you're prone to popping off the border at a moment's notice.

The 5200 version will always be infinitely superior due to the second draw button. Heck, the GAMEBOY version will always be infinitely superior due to the second draw button.

No 1-button version of the original Qix is anything more than mediocre.

Sure the 2600 sticks used on the computer version give it the edge on pointer maneuverability, but it doesn't really matter when you're prone to popping off the border at a moment's notice.

The 5200 version will always be infinitely superior due to the second draw button. Heck, the GAMEBOY version will always be infinitely superior due to the second draw button.

835827[/snapback]

what exactly can you do with the second button?! I know the A8 version of Qix only and I think it's a very nice game. I enjoy it when playing it from time to time so what's the problem??

rgds,

\twh!

what exactly can you do with the second button?! I know the A8 version of Qix only and I think it's a very nice game. I enjoy it when playing it from time to time so what's the problem??

The second button lets you draw stix at a slower pace. If you complete an area using only the slower speed, it fills in with a different color (orange) and you get more points. It adds more strategy to the game, not to mention more faithfulness to the arcade version.

The second button lets you draw stix at a slower pace. If you complete an area using only the slower speed, it fills in with a different color (orange) and you get more points. It adds more strategy to the game, not to mention more faithfulness to the arcade version.

835889[/snapback]

A8 Qix (and most of the other ports) have this feature. On the A8, depressing the fire button results in slower movement (and more points). :)

The main problem with the 8-bit version is that in the arcade you have to push a button to move off and draw a line on the arcade so you can quickly follow the contour (there is a fast draw and a slow draw button). On the 8-bit, one wrong accidental slip of the stick and you will start fast drawing, where you must complete a least a small little box or die.

If it were me I would have required pressing a button to start drawing and then immediately let go to fast draw, keep it pressed to slow draw. Maybe a potential hack.

The main problem with the 8-bit version is that in the arcade you have to push a button to move off and draw a line on the arcade so you can quickly follow the contour (there is a fast draw and a slow draw button). On the 8-bit, one wrong accidental slip of the stick and you will start fast drawing, where you must complete a least a small little box or die.

Funny, that's the reason I LIKE the 8-bit version. It's the version I grew up with, so it's the one I'm used to. I can't play those 'two button' versions.

Tempest

Funny, that's the reason I LIKE the 8-bit version. It's the version I grew up with, so it's the one I'm used to. I can't play those 'two button' versions.

Tempest

835999[/snapback]

When I initially started in on Qix, I tried holding a draw button down. Figured it'd get me a bit faster response, and make it less likely the Qix would catch me.

But I found I bobbed off too often.

A8 Qix (and most of the other ports) have this feature...

The main problem with the 8-bit version is that in the arcade you have to push a button to move off and draw a line on the arcade so you can quickly follow the contour (there is a fast draw and a slow draw button).  On the 8-bit, one wrong accidental slip of the stick and you will start fast drawing...

Whoops. I stand corrected. I guess it's been longer than I thought since I last played the Atari 8-bit version. I'll have to dig it out again.

The static, graceless enemy in the A8 is aesthetically tasteless, and makes the game no fun to look at.

By contrast, it is amazing just how acceptable the 5200 version is. The enemy moves fluidly and gracefully, in spite of the blockiness of the lines.

I have always wondered why the A8 version was so profoundly inferior.

• 2 years later...
Qix is terrible, however you ought to try Fill 'er Up which is the awesome game of that type.

Discriminating Atari 8bit fans choose Fill 'er Up!

This 8-bit fan never cared much for Qix. Period.

Which was why I never jumped on Painter for the Jaguar when it came out. Just looked too much like Qix. I would find out later when Painter came along as a price I couldn't refuse that Painter was actually kinda fun.

You want a bad version of Qix... try it on the Lynx. :D

This 8-bit fan never cared much for Qix. Period.

Which was why I never jumped on Painter for the Jaguar when it came out. Just looked too much like Qix. I would find out later when Painter came along as a price I couldn't refuse that Painter was actually kinda fun.

You want a bad version of Qix... try it on the Lynx. :D

Three words: Fill 'Er Up. It has cool sounds and graphics and play value. or maybe my mind is just warped because as a young teenager I typed in the entire machine language listing. ;)

I didn't even like Qix in the arcade, personally.

The 5200 did bring better ports and other quality games to the table, and eventually to the A8 (Thanks for that!).

However, one problem with Qix, and some other 5200 ports, is that an attempt was made to "narrow the gap" between the screen aspect ratio of the 5200 and the arcade machines. This reduced the size, and resolution, of the 5200's screen in the process. These ports always make gameplay feel cramped. It's been proven time and time again that it is unecessary to narrow the playfield in order to make an arcade port better on the A8/5200 (examples: Mr. Do, Pac-Man, Centipede, Commando, Fogger, etc...). This is what I find annoying.

I never liked the original A8 version of Qix, Dig Dug, or Centipede. They were all inferior to the superb 5200 versions. But all found their way back to the A8.

With Qix, I can take the 1-button control, but the fill time is SO SLOW, it drives me nuts. No fun.

Ever play the original A8 Dig Dug? Ugh. bad graphics and the gameplay is broken too.