IGNORED

HSC (High Score Contest)

doctorclu

They have a high score contest on the Atari 8-bit message board here, and I understand on the 2600 as well.

In summary, everyone votes on a game, and for like two weeks or so everyone tries to make the highest score and get a screen shot to show who is best at that game, and over the various contests, who is the best video game player.

Really is a lot of fun. Anyone up for it?

Ah yes, I can see that went over well. Sorry about that. I don't think I knew of Atariage back then to be honest.

Anyway, the fun of the HSC as I have experienced in the Atari 800 forum's HSC is that you have a certain time to make the score, and you are competing against others in various parts at the same time on the same game. I have rediscovered games on the Atari 800, and learned about new ones, in this process, and I think though the Jaguar has a game library hovering around 100 games, I believe this could be a fun way to get re-introduced to the Jaguar platform.

So we are not just playing our individual games and submitting scores. We are suggesting games, voting on them, playing some games we love and some we have not played in a while, and seeing who is the best overal gamer. It is a not a static scoreboard, but a contest! :D It is really the next best thing to being at a friend's house and playing against each other for the high score.

So that said, To start this off, I wonder since Atari Age has just gone to a new format if we could have a HSC area created for the Jaguar Forem just like the 2600 and 8-bit have. Then we will vote on two things...

1) The duration of the game play. Should it be two weeks, three weeks, or just select one game a month.

2) get people to suggest game titles and then we vote on it!

There we go. Sound good?

I'd be in on this, a great reason (for me) to start playing the Jag again!

Plus, the 8-bit HSC really fell out of favor w/ me when all these "obscure" games began popping up...

836913[/snapback]

Glad you like the idea. I know I will enjoy playing against you and whoever else plays along.

Punisher... go ahead and get that vote going... sounds good to me!

So what obscure games on the 8-bit? Generally I play a lot of games on that contest from downloaded games and files. To matter the fact my gaming archive, as big as it was before, grows with some of these titles too. :)

I'd be in on this, a great reason (for me) to start playing the Jag again!

Plus, the 8-bit HSC really fell out of favor w/ me when all these "obscure" games began popping up...

836913[/snapback]

:( Sorry to hear that

837204[/snapback]

Well, how do we set up a message for a vote? We can vote on a game, play it, and post the top three scores on the list that Punisher put up. We'll have that sucker filled with high scores soon.

So about making a voting message?

Dont want to lead this off topic but most of the 8bit game choices I'd never even heard of (I've had my 800XL for 20+ yrs) & I dont download/emulate, which I realize limits me greatly AFA competing goes, but I'm a bit of a purist.

Plus I guess the 8 bit HSC had already played through many/most of the games I own.

I'll gladly participate in playing whatever I have, though! :D

Dont want to lead this off topic but most of the 8bit game choices I'd never even heard of (I've had my 800XL for 20+ yrs) & I dont download/emulate, which I realize limits me greatly AFA competing goes, but I'm a bit of a purist.

Plus I guess the 8 bit HSC had already played through many/most of the games I own.

I'll gladly participate in playing whatever I have, though!  :D

837609[/snapback]

I *HIGHLY* suggest a APE setup. A old 486 and a cable and you're in business hardware wise.

Yeh I just compiled the list for the Atari 8 and yeh many classics have been played. I came in on the second season. I might go through the first season games and play those too. :)

We are running across some other classics not yet played. Best thing to advise, get on there and find the thread asking for suggestions, and throw yours in.