IGNORED

How to Fix Atari 400&800 with Red Screen?

Sully70

Hi..I have both an Atari 400 and 800 that only show a red screen when hooked up and powered on. Can anybody give me some details on what to look for if I open them up? Is this a common problem? I'm hoping it may be easy to fix. First time poster, by the way. I've got a decent collection, the 8-bit's and 7800 are my current drug of choice. Hope I can get some advice. thanks!

Hi..I have both an Atari 400 and 800 that only show a red screen when hooked up and powered on. Can anybody give me some details on what to look for if I open them up? Is this a common problem? I'm hoping it may be easy to fix. First time poster, by the way. I've got a decent collection, the 8-bit's and 7800 are my current drug of choice. Hope I can get some advice. thanks!

838661[/snapback]

Just from the fact that BOTH computers appear to have the same exact problem begs to ask the question if it may be the power supply or monitor/TV that you are using that may be the problem. I've personally never heard of any "red screen" problem with A8 computers, and I don't think it's a common problem, which leads me back to thinking it's not the computers but possibly one of the things I suggested above. Or possibly it's even whatever you are using for the connection to the TV/monitor (I assume it's a TV actually, since I think the 400 can only hook up to TV's via the RF output). Maybe it's the switchbox you are using to connect it to the TV?

838661[/snapback]

I don't have any suggestions on how to fix it. But I remember something like that happening to a brand new out-of-the-box Atari XL I bought after Christmas many years ago. I ended up taking it back to the store. :(

Cap

Looks like RAM failure. The 800 has 3 x 16 k boards?

Try only 1 board of 16 k in bank 1 each time.

If the problem stays for all 3 boards, you are facing a hardware problem.

Not easy to fix.

The 400 has also 1 board of 16k (or 8k) under the hood.

Remove and replace with a good one from the 800.

Hope to be of help.

Sijmen.

Hi,

Do you see any difference at your tv set when you switch on the computer? Because the problem occurs at both of your computers, maybe there´s something wrong with the power supply or the tv cable to your tv.

In the 400 and 800 there´s a seperate processor card in it. Maybe there's some dirt at the contacts of the card or at the connector of the motherboard.

It is also possible when you have a red screen, the processor is out of order. I have seen this at some atari 600xl's.

Martin

• 2 years later...

I have a 600XL that I just got that is doing the same thing. I only tried it a couple of times, but it always comes to a red screen. I hooked it up to my 800XL set up (meaning, the cables are all working) and all I saw was red. does the POKEY chip need to be replaced if that is a potential problem?

I have a 600XL that I just got that is doing the same thing. I only tried it a couple of times, but it always comes to a red screen. I hooked it up to my 800XL set up (meaning, the cables are all working) and all I saw was red. does the POKEY chip need to be replaced if that is a potential problem?

I would reseat all the chips first. If that doesn't work its probably POKEY or RAM

I had an 800XL with a reddish screen and it turned out to be a dead ROM chip.

I have a 600XL with a reddish screen but it still works-- you can see the characters slightly and after swapping chips with the 800XL it turns out it's a bad video buffer chip...