IGNORED

What is the worst 2600 game you have played?

Retro Gamer

Karate was simply inexcusable.  Who thought they could make a fighting game for the Atari 2600?!

842506[/snapback]

You know what, I think this may just be the #1 worst game in my book. Gameplay is horrible. Well, actually everything about it is horrible! But I'll still play it every now and then just to see if I can actually do anything with it.

Well despite the obvious ones, I have to say that Raft Rider is really awful. It just moves so sluggishly. It might have been a good game if it didn't seem so random. Also, Word Zapper has got to be the easiest game ever made! It's fun for about a minute because that's how long the game lasts.

Oh US Games, why do I still love you so much?

Pole Position.

It was the last full-price game I bought for the VCS in 1985. It single-handedly killed my interest in the 2600 at the time. Either it was way too easy (completed it on second attempt) or I had simply become too good at 2600 games at the time.

That's why whenever I have the 2600 out I always put in the likes of Frostbite and Galaxian. Still a challenge to beat my high scores. :cool:

These threads are always funny. Everyone always hates a game someone else loves. :D

For me, I'd say THE worst game is probably either Bugs or Firefly. Those are so horrible they aren't even worth playing. Firefly is so bad it actually makes me laugh

Yars' Revenge - dreary, boring garbage 

While I don't think it's garbage, I don't think it's great either. I do think it's overrated. It gets really repetative after awhile.

Zaxxon.

The change in perspective and the change in the enemy cast of characters is almost enough to make a case that this does not deserve the Zaxxon name. Still, even then it could have been a decent game... were it not for the sloppy programming that made the game literally unplayable at times. Ever tried to play a 2-player game from level 4 on? Quite simply, you can't, and that is unforgivable.

Awww.. c'mon now! Pac-Man wasn't ALL bad... I kinda like how the comma shaped eyes in the ghosts just swirl and swirl and swirl and swirl.... kinda mesmorizing, ya know? Kinda like how the water goes down when you flush the toilet... ahhhh.... swirrrrrrling!!! Seriously though... Karate... damn, thats a hard one to beat! I would have to say that it truly is the worst game on the 2600!!

Zaxxon.

The change in perspective and the change in the enemy cast of characters is almost enough to make a case that this does not deserve the Zaxxon name.  Still, even then it could have been a decent game... were it not for the sloppy programming that made the game literally unplayable at times.  Ever tried to play a 2-player game from level 4 on?  Quite simply, you can't, and that is unforgivable.

845208[/snapback]

Good call! Zaxxon on the VCS is abysmal!!

Ugh, Zaxxon stinks. Let's not forget about the mess that is Football (a.k.a. Trashcan Football), either. Slot Racers sucks, too, as does Street Racer.

Still, "Pac-Man" will always stand out as the most disappointing game for me. It was, in my mind, the first time Atari failed miserably at something. Remember the hype over "Pac-Man" and the furor after it was released?

Skeet shoot and Karate has to be the worst games of all time for the 2600 but Great Escape, Mission 3000, Ssssnake and James Bond are close behind it. Double Dragon also needs to be added to the list as Activision successfully murdered it. Almost forgot, Sea Monster was pretty pointless too.

I'm not going to say ET, I really don't think that was the worst - once you get into it it can be fairly fun. I'm going to be controvercial and say Space Invaders - I really don't like any Space Invaders game, and I think there are much better shooters on the 2600 like Centipede and Phoenix but Space Invaders really dosn't cut it IMO. OK, so its probably not the worst, that I couldn't say, but its deffinatly the most overrated.

Pole Position.

It was the last full-price game I bought for the VCS in 1985. It single-handedly killed my interest in the 2600 at the time. Either it was way too easy (completed it on second attempt) or I had simply become too good at 2600 games at the time.

That's why whenever I have the 2600 out I always put in the likes of Frostbite and Galaxian. Still a challenge to beat my high scores. :cool:

845041[/snapback]

You dare commit sacrilege against one of my all-time favorite games? May shots from Galaga ships strike you down! :twisted:

Remember a friend had Airlock back in the day, and remember thinking, after a game ended, what's the point of this?

Of games that I own, I'd say Laser Blast, Sky Jinks (two Activision duds, shock horror!) and Towering Inferno. Enough to induce sleep :roll: