IGNORED

Ms Pacman Black

neotokeo2001

By Request:

Ms Pacman Black

MsPacmanBlackLabel50.gif

Download BIN:

Ms_Pacman_Black.zip

Ms. Pacman was a tough one to hack to black. Luckily there are several hacks of Ms. Pacman that others have made that turned out to be a big help. There are only two(2) changes. The black background and also a small tweak on the Ms. Pacman logo on the attract screen.

Ms Pacman Black Screenshot

MsPacmanBlack.gif

Original Ms Pacman

MsPacman.gif

• Like 3

Looks good based on the screenshots. I'll have to try it out when I do my next round of Cuttle Cart updates.

Gotta wonder why Atari/GCC decided on the blue background on this one. Actually the blue looks pretty decent to me (though not too arcade-accurate) though when enough ghosts bunch together and get flickery they can be mighty hard to see.

I actually kinda did this a couple years ago.. http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13124 (yeah this link still works oddly enough)

And Nukey did it again 2 years later http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...pic=45825&st=13 :lol:

842887[/snapback]

I wish I had seen that before I did it. It took me a lot longer then 2 minutes. :ponder:

I checked the hack database but did'nt see it.

(Nukey Shay)

Address $F0E9 (second bank) is the background color.  The sprites seem to show up better with a black background.  Wonder what the story was with that??  Damn Atari...always changing things

That sure would have helped.

Can anyone help on these?

Dark Cavern

Tron: Deadly Disc

I have scanned thru them a few times in Hack-O-Matic with no luck.

Edited by neotokeo2001
  • Like 1

Dark Cavern is easy enough...there's only a few values used from tables, the rest are loaded directly (you can locate them in the assembly by searching for COLU).

HOM addresses in the original game:

Flashing bullet colors = 2-byte table at $0054 & $0055

Playfield color = $0d43

Background color = $0d47

Score color = $0d5b

Player's color = $0e36

Enemy colors = 4-byte table at $0e60 to $0e63

Incidentally, there are 4 unused bytes at $F1F8 to $F1FB (new locations in the hack below). So by running a disassembly, I moved the enemy color table there to make the game run on unmodded Superchargers ;)

Looking at Tron DD now...

Dark_Cavern_assembly_cfg_.zip

Dark_Cavern_Supercharger_.zip

• Like 1

Tron Deadly Discs needs to be edited carefully...since the color values are also used by the program during comparisons (i.e. if the door is red when you shoot it, change it yellow...etc.). If the values used are not the same one used for these comparisons, the game won't work right. A disassembly that makes color editing easier is supplied below...just change the values at the top of the .asm file and assemble with Dasm.

dasm trondead.asm -f3 -otronhack.bin

Score color = 0e53

Score background color = 0e3b

Wall/unshown door color: 0349, 04f9, 0e59, 0f5f

Screen background = 0f05, 0f82

New door color (unshot) = 0421, 0723

Shot door color = 0425, 04ef, 04f5, 071c

Opponent colors = table of 8 bytes at 0742 - 0749

Player colors:

No hits taken yet = 0368, 053d

1 hit taken = 053e

2 hits taken = 053f

3 hits taken = 0540

4 hits taken = 0541

5 hits taken = 0542

Tron_deadly_discs.zip

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looks good based on the screenshots. I'll have to try it out when I do my next round of Cuttle Cart updates.

Gotta wonder why Atari/GCC decided on the blue background on this one. Actually the blue looks pretty decent to me (though not too arcade-accurate) though when enough ghosts bunch together and get flickery they can be mighty hard to see.

I think is was because of some rule of thumb at Atari where you couldn't use black backgrounds except for space games. Or maybe it was to show off the large amount of colors (gay?) or something...who knows. At least Jr. Pac Man got it straight (no pun intended).

Edited by Animan

• 6 months later...

Not that I ever noticed, but who the hell made it blue? Damn that looks good!

This hack was done 8 years ago, you know, when you where 4 years old.

People born after 1965 are interlopers. They must be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

1965? Move that to 1975 and I am in agreement :)

Not that I ever noticed, but who the hell made it blue? Damn that looks good!

In the early days of Atari the upper management wanted to show that the Atari 2600 was a COLOR Video Game System.

The result? No game would be released without a colored background. This led to the bright colored backgrounds in most of the early releases. The bright backgrounds can lead to blurred images and eyestrain.

The solution? Change the backgrounds to black. The black background gives the game more of an 80's arcade look and makes the graphics stand out better.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...