IGNORED

Space Lock & Space Shoot rom demo

Fadest

Hi,

At the Jaguar Connexion in France last year, I showed Space Lock for the first time. This year, we showed an improved version of the game with wonderful graphism by Templeton. And more, there was another game : Space Shoot

The limited rom demo for Handy is ready now, here are the first pics.

At the beginning : the intro screen

spintro2.gif

Space Lock :

This is a reflexion game, you have to move the red/white ship to the center of screen. You can move all ships, but they move until they are blocked by another ship.

splocka.gif

60 levels of reflexion...

There is also an animated tutorial included.

And you can build your own levels and share them with your friends or over the net with a 6 letters code.

Limited demo version have only 10 levels, tutorial and level designer.

Space Shoot :

The second game is a re-interpretation of classic space invaders...

spshoot2.gif

There are 8 king of wave attack, for exemple :

spshoot1.gif

Also, there are some options falling, like in Arkanoid (points, life, shield, mega-bomb...).

You can also upgrade your ship in Space Shop :

spshop.gif

You can only have one option, and you pay for it with your capital points each time you use it with B button.

In limited level, you will only play 3 levels, selected randomly.

And for unlucky guys, here is the game over screen :

gameover.gif

If you want to see the winner screen, you will have to wait for the demo rom and beat it

The link for the rom :

http://fadest.free.fr/space/space.lnx

I hope I didn't put new bugs in making this limited demo

EDIT : I changed name of topic because the rom is out.

Have fun...

Edited by Fadest

Very cool job! I love that the spaceships have different patterns on each level! Great graphics too! Now you just need some more sound effects and music and you can slap that puppy on a Lynx card and make a million bucks! (Oh, how I wish there was a Cuttle Cart for the Lynx!)

I don't often use the terms "fantastic graphics" and "Lynx" in the same sentence, but I'm going to do just that today. Your Lynx game has fantastic graphics! You've really pushed those sixteen colors to their limits.

The game itself ain't too shabby, either. I didn't understand how to play the puzzle game at first but after a little experimentation everything started to fall into place. It gets surprisingly challenging in the later stages despite its simplicity. I wouldn't say that you've got the next Tetris here but it's nevertheless pretty inspired.

The shooter is a pretty good derivitive of Space Invaders, although I would have preferred a large army of smaller enemies to a handful of larger, more detailed ones. I'm glad you added power ups... they add welcome variety to games like these. As another poster mentioned previously, more sound effects would improve the experience.

JR

Thanks for your comments.

TailChao, you're right, there are some slowndomn into Space Shoot because of digits sounds (I have an idea to avoid them).

We wanted the game and shoots to be "slow" in order to increase stress and use of shop options (did you test B button ?)

Jess, yes, the waves seems bigger than in original Space Invaders, we wanted it for 2 reasons : increase stress (aliens are closer than in original game) and the second : a friend of mine is already working on original Space Invaders with improved graphisms. Space Shoot was only a bonus level for Space Lock at the origin. I made it a complete game, due to lack of ram (this is the same for the two remaining games to come).

For music and sound effect, we know this is the bad point, we have to find some good ABCMusic (I mean, better than my 2 cents crappy compo) and a lot of ram in order to play more digits( in Space Shoot, there is less than 2ko free ram)

I don't often use the terms "fantastic graphics" and "Lynx" in the same sentence, but I'm going to do just that today. Your Lynx game has fantastic graphics! You've really pushed those sixteen colors to their limits.

I think that's a bit unfair. I've always thought the Lynx graphics hardware is excellent and thankfully most games USE it. The g(L)amegear could display 32 colours but its graphics NEVER looked as good as the Lynx. But then again it didn't ahve any of the custom chips.

I think that's a bit unfair. I've always thought the Lynx graphics hardware is excellent and thankfully most games USE it. The g(L)amegear could display 32 colours but its graphics NEVER looked as good as the Lynx. But then again it didn't ahve any of the custom chips.

846007[/snapback]

Not only that but if you've seen Alpine Games then you know that the Lynx still has a lot of potential for even better looking games. AG was simply amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just also want to say that Space Shoot looks fantastic (and I know the limitations of the Lynxc gfx), and I also love the animated Tintin rocket :)

I also like the gameplay, but maybe the shop is too much...

Good work dudes!

- jum

• 10 months later...

I played around with this demo in HANDY last night. the Space Lock game does nothing for me, but Space Shoot is a beautiful looking game.... but the input needs some serious work. It's almost impossible to move the ship around!

spshoot1.gif

I hope we see an updated version soon! Good luck! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

and very great graphist !! Like Templeton ;)

GT Turbo (Jagware)