IGNORED

Sega CDs in a CD player?

a lot of saturn games have redbook audio (aka playable audio tracks for any cd player) but most playstation games do not.  the only ones i can think of are lunar (one redbook track) and ridge racer

845192[/snapback]

DarkStalkers for the PlayStation also has redbook audio. I'd say that most of the early PlayStation games use CD audio. Digital audio compression wasn't really widely used until MP3 made it popular, which was a smidgeon after the PlayStation's original launch, if I'm remembering my history correctly.

There are LOTS of PS1 games that play music when used in a CD player. A few I have:

Iron Soldier 3

WipeOut XL

WipeOut 3

Forsaken

Saltwater Sportfishing

Fox Sports Golf 99

Hexen

DarkStone

& many others I'm sure. CastleVania: SOTN has a short vocal track followed by an original music piece.

Jaguar CD ROMS:

Hover Strike: UL

Primal Rage

Iron Soldier 2

among others I assume...didnt check all mine!

Edited by RJ

I believe Symphony of the Night on PS1 has a couple tracks.

845259[/snapback]

That is correct! I LOVE that game... its going onto my computer soon, even cutting out the Castlevania SOTN logo and lighting it up on the side of the case :D

I believe Symphony of the Night on PS1 has a couple tracks.

845259[/snapback]

That is correct! I LOVE that game... its going onto my computer soon, even cutting out the Castlevania SOTN logo and lighting it up on the side of the case :D

846143[/snapback]

Funny you should say that, as I am in the planning stages of a customs SOTN Playstation... :)

I believe the TurboCDs will verbally scold you if you try to play them in an audio player.

846139[/snapback]

Yes. Good reason for that, actually.

NEc spec'ed track 1 to tell you that it's not an audio CD and shouldn't be played in a CD player, because CD players back then didn't know what a data track looked like. And computer data plays as REALLY loud noise on a CD player, likely damaging your speakers.

Most CD players now mute when they hit a data track.

Track 2 is the game.

Tracks 3+ are the music and cutscene tracks, in standard redbook audio.

Interestingly enough, this non-standard layout makes them more difficult to pirate, as Windows dislikes the idea of data on track 2, and throws error messages at you when you insert such disks.

(Standards-compliant mixed mode disks are either data on track 1, or multi-session disk, which is essentially like 2 disks on one CD. CD players only see the redbook session)