IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

as the village idiot, i am sorry to say........ im not sure i get it, so i just find the 2 lines of 12 solder points, witch make 24 solder points,(Hey look, i know math!!), and just solder the ribbon wire to it? i see now on the picture of the PCB,, youv have marked the Cartridge points, and to me they look like straight Alluminum Rods. is it what i think it is? just 2 rods? where are the solder points? ya know, the tiny little leads. And Second, how do we cut the traces to the rom? i see where the rom is marked, and it looks like its under tissue paper, so heres my sencond question: how and where do i cut the Traces?

TOTPD! ShAkE ShAkE ShAkE!

Edited by PCBored4404

now is there going to be a need to install some type of switch or cut any traces to be able to acces this functionality, or will be installing the cart port allow you to overide the onscreen menue and go directly to the cart?

888089[/snapback]

Step 1: Cut traces to disable onboard games

Step 2: solder cartridge connector to PCB

Step 3: modify case for cartridge slot

Step 4: Play your cartridges

Optional Step 5: Wire a toggle switch to traces to enable/disable onboard games/cartridge slot

as the village idiot, i am sorry to say........ im not sure i get it, so i just find the 2 lines of 12 solder points, witch make 24 solder points,(Hey look, i know math!!), and just solder the ribbon wire to it? i see now on the picture of the PCB,, youv have marked the Cartridge points, and to me they look like straight Alluminum Rods. is it what i think it is? just 2 rods? where are the solder points? ya know, the tiny little leads. And Second, how do we cut the traces to the rom? i see where the rom is marked, and it looks like its under tissue paper, so heres my sencond question: how and where do i cut the Traces?

TOTPD! ShAkE ShAkE ShAkE!

888199[/snapback]

Curt said he was working on documenting all that, a little patience helps. I'd say the cart solder points are the round metal areas just right of the game rom. It looks like there's around 24 of them which is the right number. (8 data, 13 address, 1 vcc, 2 gnd)

The "Alluminum Rods" are just metal jumpers to avoid making a double layer board.

now is there going to be a need to install some type of switch or cut any traces to be able to acces this functionality, or will be installing the cart port allow you to overide the onscreen menue and go directly to the cart?

888089[/snapback]

Optional Step 5: Wire a toggle switch to traces to enable/disable onboard games/cartridge slot

888262[/snapback]

i understand how to cut the traces, just take like a small X-Acto knife and cut throurg em. now how do i wire somthing to them??????

Also, do we have to cut the rods to add in the ribbon wire?

Edited by PCBored4404

888089[/snapback]

888262[/snapback]

i understand how to cut the traces, just take like a small X-Acto knife and cut throurg em. now how do i wire somthing to them??????

Also, do we have to cut the rods to add in the ribbon wire?

888707[/snapback]

I wouldnt worry about the rods at all.. as for the cutting of the trace to disable the preloads.. you just need to attach the switch to the place where you cut the trace a micro on/off toggle should be fine.. so all you have to do is either flip the switch on or off to enable or disable the circut you cut

just like a light switch in your wall.. the switch breaks the positive current going to the light bulb while the negitive remains intact..

so cut the trace.. you got a cart port.. leave it intact, you got the onboard games. installing the switch allows you to reestablish the cut trace

ok, but what i dont understand is this: the trace is just like a little groove on the boared, i cut the trace, but how an i to place a switch between a freakishly small cut?

EDIT: wait, i think i get it, i cut the trace in one spot, and cut it again a few centimeeters, then add a blob of solder on each cut and then wire it from one blob of solder, to the switch, then to the other blob of solder? is that it??

Edited by PCBored4404

Atari FB2 PCB - First Look...

888131[/snapback]

Thanks for the picture Curt.

Why is the 2600 chip named Michele? We know Stella was named from Joe Decuir's bike and after that Atari named projects after women in the office (or so the legend states :D). Who is Michele and why was she (if non-fictional) choosen for the chip name?

• 2 weeks later...
I think this is quite exciting. The unit looks really cool. However, since I have the real deal and all those games anyway, I probably wont be getting one, myself. These units are really for people who wish they had what I already have :D

896899[/snapback]

Don't forget that there's previously unreleased games, some homebrews, and even some brand new (on the 2600 at least) titles. I think you'd be doing yourself a tremendous disservice by passing this up! Unless, of course, you own copies of games like Wizard, Polo, Caverns of Mars, Lunar Lander, and Space Duel ;)

I think this is quite exciting. The unit looks really cool. However, since I have the real deal and all those games anyway, I probably wont be getting one, myself. These units are really for people who wish they had what I already have :D

896899[/snapback]

Don't forget that there's previously unreleased games, some homebrews, and even some brand new (on the 2600 at least) titles. I think you'd be doing yourself a tremendous disservice by passing this up! Unless, of course, you own copies of games like Wizard, Polo, Caverns of Mars, Lunar Lander, and Space Duel ;)

896902[/snapback]

also we got a brand new pair of cx40b joysticks with the flashback and they will work with the original 2600's :thumbsup:

896899[/snapback]

I had invisioned collectors stating this exact reason why they'd pass up on getting an FB2 and the answer is, new games --- the proto's, the newly written games, lots of games you don't own and wont own unless you pickup a FB2.

Curt

Curt, sorry to asking such a dumb question since the answer seems to be clear, but a clear answer would help not to harm some hardware :o) You said the 2600 chip is 3.3V supplied. But are all the inputs 5V tolerant? Can I just supply 5V for the cartridge (so all the data/adress lines will be at 5V) and for the stick inputs (so I'll have no troubles with the trackball units and like)???

Thanks, and congratulations for a great work!

Alexandre, from Brazil

I can't wait to seehow tey pull off Space Duel and Caverns of Mars...

897570[/snapback]

They don't include the tethered modes in Space Duel. If you want tethered spaceship action you'll have to Paypal $35 to Albert and buy a copy of THRUS+, with the most amazing tethered spae ship action the Atari 2600 has ever seen.

Hmmmm, I've got an original Heavy Sixer/Woody with a whole load of carts, which of course I love! ;) I was going to pass on the FB2, but having read through the posts here I've completely changed my mind - the homebrews alone make this worthwhile, and the joysticks make it unmissable!! I'll always prefer the front-loading carts, but hey it's a minor detraction :) Can't wait for this now...