IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

Is it so hard to just release the Atari 2600 again?

I mean we all want it, is it cause they want to package 40 games with it?

Why not re-release the actual Atari 2600 and make some super cartridge with it that has 40 games?

846875[/snapback]

That's Exactly what I would do. Then they could release a new multi-cart every year at christmas time.

Why not re-release the actual Atari 2600 and make some super cartridge with it that has 40 games?

846875[/snapback]

That's Exactly what I would do. Then they could release a new multi-cart every year at christmas time.

846884[/snapback]

I know. We could simply be done with the whole thing once and for all.

Just release the unit again. Make it a cosmetically different maybe but that would solve all the problems.

Re-release the games too. Like the Gameboys Classic NES series. Some of those are selling for $10.

Atari could sell the games again with replica retro-boxes and sell em for 10 or 5 bucks.

I like the idea of an official Atari game every christmas too...

Somebody needs to contact Ben Heck, so that he can make an even smaller, more battery efficient version of the VCS portable using the 2600-on-a-chip found in the Flashback 2.

http://www.benheck.com/

Check out his latest VCS portable:

http://www.benheck.com/phoenix/index.htm

He hand makes everything except for the LCD screen and the 2600 parts that he chops out of a real 2600. So it has perfect compatibility. I recommend using it with a flash cart, so that you can have a bunch of games on the go.

Is the Flashback 2 RCA composite out or S-video out? I hope it has S-video.

846875[/snapback]

846884[/snapback]

Just release the unit again. Make it a cosmetically different maybe but that would solve all the problems.

Re-release the games too. Like the Gameboys Classic NES series. Some of those are selling for $10.

Atari could sell the games again with replica retro-boxes and sell em for 10 or 5 bucks.

846900[/snapback]

I really honestly cannot figure out why they aren't doing this. It seems so easy. I mean package the thing with a 40+ retrocart and people will buy it. If it plays the old games some people will think "cool, I see those games at Value Village and garage sales all the time" and they'll buy it. If people like us who still have collections know that we can have yet another real version of the 2600 we'll buy it. Then they are left with the ability to continue to sell "Super carts" all the time. Most pople will be much more likely to buy their friends a $5- 10 super cart than to pick them up a whole $30 system for Christmas.

Edited by Atarifever

I really honestly cannot figure out why they aren't doing this.  It seems so easy.  I mean package the thing with a 40+ retrocart and people will buy it. 

846950[/snapback]

The Dreamcast was a killer system, why couldn't they keep selling that? Because it wasn't profitable enough in the current market (and cds are a lot cheaper to make than carts).

Ask Albert how big a mansion he bought with the AA store profits. It's mostly about the love these days.

846875[/snapback]

846884[/snapback]

846900[/snapback]

I really honestly cannot figure out why they aren't doing this. It seems so easy. I mean package the thing with a 40+ retrocart and people will buy it. If it plays the old games some people will think "cool, I see those games at Value Village and garage sales all the time" and they'll buy it. If people like us who still have collections know that we can have yet another real version of the 2600 we'll buy it. Then they are left with the ability to continue to sell "Super carts" all the time. Most pople will be much more likely to buy their friends a $5- 10 super cart than to pick them up a whole $30 system for Christmas.

846950[/snapback]

I would have thought Curt would have suggested that. He would be with a meeting with them and say, "Why don't you just re-release the system for heaven sake?"

Oh, well. Maybe version 3.0 will be the "real" thing.

I'll still probably get this version though, I stayed very far away from the first release.

Does anyone know if the joysticks are actual CX-40s or replicas of them (CX-41?). Also, will paddles be available, or will we be forced to play paddle games with either joysticks or old paddles?

846977[/snapback]

They are replicas, they are not "original" CX-40 sticks, but they were modeled after the originals. I have not yet seen them in person, so I can't yet vouch for how close they are to the originals. They are the same size as the originals, though, not "miniature" controllers like the original Flashback. I also believe some work was done to allow the paddle games to work with either joysticks OR paddles (obviously all the games need to work with joysticks "out of the box" since the unit only includes joysticks).

..Al

I really honestly cannot figure out why they aren't doing this.  It seems so easy.  I mean package the thing with a 40+ retrocart and people will buy it. 

846950[/snapback]

The Dreamcast was a killer system, why couldn't they keep selling that? Because it wasn't profitable enough in the current market (and cds are a lot cheaper to make than carts).

Ask Albert how big a mansion he bought with the AA store profits. It's mostly about the love these days.

846953[/snapback]

Well the analogy to the AA store isn't terribly apt. I mean, if the Flashback 2 were distributed only through an online store, and if they were made from the dead husks of old 2600's I doubt they would be profitable in any form. As for the comparison to the dreamcast, were talking apples and oranges here. A retro cart and a current generation CD are two different things. That's like saying that because the Genesis controller plug and play thing is $30 here, the Genesis wouldn't have been able to make a profit unless it charged $30 for each controller (where I live they were $14.99).

This sounds great. Thumbs up to Infogames for making some critical improvements. I can't wait to see how to mod the system. Also, there is no way they will make this easy to use illegal roms and you can't expect a cart slot (an interior mod or slot is a perfect compromise). Putting a cart slot on it would be like a new replica radio having an 8 track player.

It does look a bit odd with those orange buttons instead of the classic silver switches of the original Atari 2600 models.

847076[/snapback]

I agree. If they must use buttons in lieu of actual switches, why not pill-shaped silver-colored buttons?

It'd be cool if there was a Sears Telegames version too :D

Now this is what Infogrames should have come out with in the first place instead of that Nintendo-on-a-chip crap!!!!!

They better damn well include Solaris, Secret Quest, Dark Chambers, and Othello in this new system.

A 2600 Lunar Lander sounds interesting. Wonder if they will have a 2600 version of Stunt Cycle as well? That would be sweet indeed!

If the reviews are good, I'll be getting this puppy.

As for the comparison to the dreamcast, were talking apples and oranges here.  A retro cart and a current generation CD are two different things.  That's like saying that because the Genesis controller plug and play thing is $30 here, the Genesis wouldn't have been able to make a profit unless it charged $30 for each controller (where I live they were $14.99).

847021[/snapback]

You're right it is apples to oranges. DC cds are cheaper to make than 2600 carts, more gamers have working DCs, and would be more willing to play them.

Please explain how 2600 carts or multicarts would be successful in the market when DC games aren't. Then explain it to Atari (INTV Productions too while you're at it).

Edited by jsoper

As for the comparison to the dreamcast, were talking apples and oranges here.  A retro cart and a current generation CD are two different things.  That's like saying that because the Genesis controller plug and play thing is $30 here, the Genesis wouldn't have been able to make a profit unless it charged $30 for each controller (where I live they were $14.99).

847021[/snapback]

You're right it is apples to oranges. DC cds are cheaper to make than 2600 carts, more gamers have working DCs, and would be more willing to play them.

Please explain how 2600 carts or multicarts would be successful in the market when DC games aren't. Then explain it to Atari (INTV Productions too while you're at it).

847204[/snapback]

DC cds also had to sell a lot more to make up for the type of budget it took to make a DC game. How much development do you think it would really take to make a multicart? The games are all there already developed and already owned by Atari. A moderatly tech savy kid working in his parents basement could design the thing. I mean, if we are working by comparisons here, the 2600 didn't retail for $30 either, but no one is claiming the Flashback can't make money at that price. And saying that I should explain it to Atari, as if Atari couldn't possibly make a move that wasn't planned and put together so perfectly as to be infallable, is ignoring their head in their ass approach that led the FB 1 to suck so bad.

Edited by Atarifever

Am I imagining things or does that pic show a cart port?

Mitch

845816[/snapback]

Okay...

To start off... the photo you see there is actually an original concept design which was spec'd for a SD/MMC slot and USB connection on the back. That design has been scaled back and those features may be seen in the next Flashback unit with more functionality and compatibility in 06' , the actual unit Flashback 2.0 unit coming out this summer does not have an external cartridge port and has no capability of USB connection. Here are photo's of the 1st article sample console and joystick 9side by side with the CX40 is the new CX40b design.)

100_2165.JPG

100_2166.JPG

100_2167.JPG

100_2168.JPG

Curt

Sure looks like Infogrammes is out to make things right this time. :-)

845887[/snapback]

We'll see about that... :ponder:

Warlords is on the cover...

...not even playable with joysticks...

...no 4 player action either :(

845888[/snapback]

Really? Hmmmmm

:ponder:

Curt