IGNORED

backing up tape files

When you are toalking about saved BASIC programmes,

you can simple load tape and save them to disk.

Same goes for binary files. Just enter DOS and copy

from C: to D:name.ext

Bootable cassettes can be saved with a multi-boot menu.

But multiple stage cassettes are difficult. There is a program

called transdisk, than can do most of these tapes.

Kind regards,

Sijmen.

DOS copy won't work for BASIC programs saved using CSAVE, neither for binary files that were written using the short IRG (as CSAVE does).

Might be there is a "smarter" DOS that will open the "C:" device in short-fast mode. Then it will work as long as can read the whole file in a single operation.

Otherwise a special program is needed.

DOS copy won't work for BASIC programs saved using CSAVE, neither for binary files that were written using the short IRG (as CSAVE does).

Might be there is a "smarter" DOS that will open the "C:" device in short-fast mode. Then it will work as long as can read the whole file in a single operation.

Otherwise a special program is needed.

847382[/snapback]

Wow I don't know that so if the the tape file(binary) is a single stage boot I just can save to disk! I've got to give this a try thanks! :D

Is this just for experimentation or do you want to archive something rare? The program in question may already exist in one form or another.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

847437[/snapback]

I have hand full of tapes that I want to put over to disk. ;) I do have Arkanoid but I haven't seen that disk at all :ponder:

Wow I don't know that so if the the tape file(binary) is a single stage boot I just can save to disk! I've got to give this a try thanks!  :D

847427[/snapback]

There are two different issues. One is to copy a tape file (or program) to disk. Another one is to be able to run it from disk.

As said, DOS copy usually can’t be used to copy from tape. It will fail because most tape programs and files were written with short IRGs. You can read more about the two type of IRGs at the Wav2Cas home page. So you need a special copy program, and there are several available.

Once you have the program on file, it is yet not trivial to run it unless it’s a basic program. Again, there are programs that will let you run tape programs from a disk file. This usually works fine for single stage boot tapes. Multi-stages programs are much more complicated to handle.

Lastly, there are tapes recorded with a custom format. Usually done for protection purposes. You normally can’t “read” those tapes without special tools. If you are used to load tapes you can easily distinguish the particular sound of those special formats.