IGNORED

Doom music...

beamrider2600

I was wondering about this. In the Jaguar version of Doom there is no level music. Now on almost every review written about this version I've read it always comments about it and sometimes says that its probably to do with there not being enough space on the cart for the music. But surely this is wrong, all the music from the other versions is in there, its played in-between the levels instead of during. I've always assumed its an attempt to give the game more atmosphere, which the music can be distracting. I remember when I first got it I hated the idea, but as soon as I played it I quite liked it, and thought it was a nice touch still having the music between the levels, as a sort of interlude, something that you could listen to as a break between action and it builds anticipation (its really good music). I've never compained since because its really effective, works well.

So does anyone know the answer? Is it really to do with technical limitations (which I find hard to believe) or am I right all along?

IIRC Carl at Songbird once said he made a quick fix and got midi music during gameplay... So it is defenitely not a HW issue... but most likely a software/programmer issue ..... ..... .....

Personally I dont like music during my killing streeks... =) ..hence in my eyes doom.. and especially AvP, is quite OK in my eyes... i mean ears... =)

cheers

/Sym (occationally pulling his hair over sloppy written C code ...written back in -93)

That's correct, I was able to do a quick hack to the code and the built-in songs would play during the level, at the expense of all the sound f/x... when I tried getting songs and f/x working simultaneously, the music got really choppy. I did not do a deep investigation to see what it would take to get music running properly.

• Like 1

Well the Jaguar version was done by id software themselves, right? I'm not really a technical person but I'm sure if they had wanted music they could've got it working, other games did it, and its not as if Doom was anything special from a technical point of view, compared to some other Jaguar games. But like I said, I'm happy without it, it works better as it is in many ways.

In my opinion they should've included music during gameplay, no matter what anyone's taste is

If you like it, great! If you don't, then turn it off.

Everyone could be satisfied

The PCversion had music during gameplay, so why not the 64-bit Jaguar?

I believe that even the 32X had music included

AvP has great background sounds, which create a great atmosphere

I don't think that I would enjoy this game as much as I do without any sound, but only the noise of my gun and screaming aliens

This is, of course, my personal opinion

Guys, it's common knowledge why JagDoom doesn't have music during gameplay-- insufficient bus bandwidth. They could have had music, but it would have made the framerate even lower. Remember, JagDoom was a rush job. The id guys could have done a lot better if Atari hadn't been in such an insane hurry to get it on the shelves.

The Jag Cheats & Codes list has a simple trick for getting music during gameplay in network mode, but it does replace the sound effects.

Even the SNES version does, thats why I find it hard to believe that its to do with any technical limitations. It also dosn't feel like a rushed job - a lot of the levels were modified, obviously so they'd work better, and there are some new ones.

Even the SNES version does, thats why I find it hard to believe that its to do with any technical limitations. It also dosn't feel like a rushed job - a lot of the levels were modified, obviously so they'd work better, and there are some new ones.

849368[/snapback]

Have you tried JagDoom in a network game that is where the rushed job stand out the most. :x

It also dosn't feel like a rushed job
160x200 resolution, ~15 FPS frame rate, no music during gameplay, flakey network code... and that doesn't seem rushed to you? Yeah, whatever. I'll just let Bill Rehbock settle this--

Neither Doom nor Wolfenstein especially take advantage of

the way that the Jaguar is layed out. John Carmack's code

is completely optimized for a very high performance

processor with a big, big cache (read: '486 with 256k

cache) and the ability to glue together single spans of

pixels together. The Jaguar with the GPU/Blitter

combination wasn't designed to do texture mapping exactly

that way. The fact that Doom and Wolf could be done as

fantastically and as fast as they were done attests to

the Jaguar's flexibility as well as to the talents of

John Carmack and everyone else at id.

-Bill Rehbock @ Atari (Producer of Doom & Wolfenstein)

• Like 1

Well that dosn't exactly go against what I've been saying. What he essentially said there was that Doom wasn't well-suited to the Jaguar hardware and they worked hard and pulled it off well. I'm not for a minute saying that the Jaguar version was better than the PC version, it isn't - after all, the games designed for a PC and this is a conosle - a game will never work as well on a system its not designed for, but compared with other Doom ports its a pretty good job. Short of completely re-making the game from scratch, I don't see how it could've been done better.

Edited by beamrider2600

Thats a bit of a general question, you mean games I like on Jaguar, or in general, or what? By any FPS, I mean any multiplayer FPS by the way, I like them in single player. I don't know what it is about multiplayer FPS, I just find it boring, I like other multiplayer games.

Well that dosn't exactly go against what I've been saying. What he essentially said there was that Doom wasn't well-suited to the Jaguar hardware and they worked hard and pulled it off well.

No, he's saying that they were in too much of a hurry to rewrite the engine to take proper advantage of the hardware. Please try to isolate the truth from the spin.

I remember talking to Martin Brownlow (programmer of MC3D) and he stated he had a doom-like 3D engine that was as nice (if not better in his own opinion) then Doom and ran almost 5x faster..... (he was demo coding to get used to the machine... before MC3D and to get up to speed for Zone Hunter conversion which never happened).

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering about this. In the Jaguar version of Doom there is no level music. Now on almost every review written about this version I've read it always comments about it and sometimes says that its probably to do with there not being enough space on the cart for the music. But surely this is wrong, all the music from the other versions is in there, its played in-between the levels instead of during. I've always assumed its an attempt to give the game more atmosphere, which the music can be distracting. I remember when I first got it I hated the idea, but as soon as I played it I quite liked it, and thought it was a nice touch still having the music between the levels, as a sort of interlude, something that you could listen to as a break between action and it builds anticipation (its really good music). I've never compained since because its really effective, works well.

So does anyone know the answer? Is it really to do with technical limitations (which I find hard to believe) or am I right all along?

848481[/snapback]

I don't know if this was due to limitations (to which I doubt) but I personally think it pushes the tension level up to be roaming around trying not to be noticed and hearing the occasional moaning creature somewhere near by. Scares the sh*t out of me. I love DOOM for the Jaguar. My favorite version ever.