IGNORED

Mr. Do on Colecovision

Mr. Do is one of my favorite games both for the Coleco and the 2600.

I haven't played the arcade version in years, so help me remember: did all of the monsters freeze when the Alphamonster appeared in the arcade version like it does in Coleco?

Mr. Do is one of my favorite games both for the Coleco and the 2600.

I haven't played the arcade version in years, so help me remember: did all of the monsters freeze when the Alphamonster appeared in the arcade version like it does in Coleco?

848742[/snapback]

I think so. I don't have MAME on this thing... So I can't verify it.

All the monsters do freeze when you get the prize in the center of the screen. The only thing different between the arcade and ColecoVision versions of Mr Do! in that regard is that an Alpha Monster always appears when you get the prize in the arcade version, and the other monsters remain frozen until you either destroy all the Munchers or destroy the Alpha Monster. In the ColecoVision version, the Alpha Monster and the Munchers only appear IF he appears on a letter that you haven't already won when you get the prize; otherwise, the monsters just pause temporarily and then resume.

I think it's a perfectly fine version. Of course though when I was a kid and first tried it out.. what's the VERY FIRST THING anyone wise to the arcade game would try to do at the time? That's right! I tried to do the 255 lives trick. Of course it didn't work.. and I guess I should've expected it. But I was still dissapointed. Ahh to be a kid again :lol:

I think it's a perfectly fine version. Of course though when I was a kid and first tried it out.. what's the VERY FIRST THING anyone wise to the arcade game would try to do at the time? That's right! I tried to do the 255 lives trick. Of course it didn't work.. and I guess I should've expected it. But I was still dissapointed. Ahh to be a kid again :lol:

848841[/snapback]

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the 255 men trick, and is it replicable in MAME (or is it hardware related)?

Sure! :) In mame this only works w/ the Taito version. I guess that's the only version we had in arcades around where I come from.. since it worked on every Mr. Do machine I had come across.

Start a game with an apple in the top row

1.png

Kill off all monsters except one, then kill all off your remaining extra lives

2.png

Climb up to the apple! (make a long tunnel)

3.png

Wait for the monster. Then just when he's almost just below you....

4.png

Move down a bit and shoot him! Make sure you move down just enough so the apple can fall, otherwise you're SOL.

5.png

The apple will fall and crush you to the ground as the stage ends.. but then you see something happening.. the lives start to accumulate.

6.png

And if all goe well, when the next stage starts.. voila. 255 extra lives :cool:

7.png

I love the CV Mr. Do. I think it's a really fun game and a pretty good port. I always thought the all white Mr.Do looks like a Klansman. That's obviously not a good thing but hey the CV was limited graphically. It doesn't hurt the gameplay at all.