IGNORED

Frogger, first playable demo

Schmutzpuppe

Hi Matthias

i tested Froggie on the Emulator.Great work.Is there any sound?Because on my emulator,i hear nothing.

greetings Walter

ProSystem Emu and Mess should work with sound when using the a78 file.

The game is still Pokey only!

Hi Matthias

yes,you are right.The a78 file works perfectly.Sound is great.

greetings Walter :)

Tested it with a CC2 on a real system and I can't get it to go past the title screen. :sad:

Mitch

%!?*%#! ... Sorry it worked good with ProSystem Emu.

The updated version also runs on the real thing ;)

Bad news.

Flicker problem is still there on real hardware.

Tested it with a CC2 on a real system and I can't get it to go past the title screen. :sad:

Mitch

Bad news.

Is it just flicker or does it crash too? I had problems with craching with the older version on top of the flicker.

Mitch

Bad news.

Is it just flicker or does it crash too? I had problems with craching with the older version on top of the flicker.

Ididnt' even get that far. The flicker makes me turn it off immediately.

It's not so much flicker that bugs me as flicker is par for the course for some games (even if this one is not intended to have flicker) Its when the damn thing crashes that gets me pissed. It's such an awsome game, but thats why it's called a WIP and not a 1.0 :) Keep up the great work dude, "Froggie" keeps looking better and better.

It's not so much flicker that bugs me as flicker is par for the course for some games (even if this one is not intended to have flicker) Its when the damn thing crashes that gets me pissed. It's such an awsome game, but thats why it's called a WIP and not a 1.0 :) Keep up the great work dude, "Froggie" keeps looking better and better.

It really crashed?

I guess it must be a NTSC only issue because I played it a lot on PAL without a crash.

But on the other hand it also didn't flicker on PAL :ponder:

It really crashed?

I guess it must be a NTSC only issue because I played it a lot on PAL without a crash.

But on the other hand it also didn't flicker on PAL :ponder:

Yep, on NTSC. I have not tried this current WIP but the one from OCT 8 crashed alot. Sometimes you could play 1 round sometime you could play 3 or 4 but ti was garunteed to crash though, it was just a matter of when.

It's not flicker like sprite flicker or some artifacting, the whole screens jumps and resets every 5 seconds.

What I would really like to see is option for TIA sound also. TIA or POKEY would be best IMO. The current WIP with TIA would be great. Even if the BIN has to be uped to 48k or 64k it would still be awsome. I tell ya I get 2 27c256's that would love to to be filled with a Froggie with TIA.

It's not flicker like sprite flicker or some artifacting, the whole screens jumps and resets every 5 seconds.

I tried it today on my NTSC device and there is a short flicker sometimes but it's more like the screen going black and shows just nothing but I can't see any screen jumping :?

Anyway I'll try to fix the flicker it in the next release.

What I would really like to see is option for TIA sound also. TIA or POKEY would be best IMO. The current WIP with TIA would be great. Even if the BIN has to be uped to 48k or 64k it would still be awsome. I tell ya I get 2 27c256's that would love to to be filled with a Froggie with TIA.

I am really not sure about TIA sound.

Personally I prefer to do PAL enhancement before doing TIA sound.

And to be honest I don't want to spent to much time to finish it.

I am really not sure about TIA sound.

Personally I prefer to do PAL enhancement before doing TIA sound.

And to be honest I don't want to spent to much time to finish it.

Hi Matthias

i would prefer TIA,because it may be easier to make cartridges.

What would happen,if you burn a cart of the actual bin file,but you do not have a pokey?

Would it be possible to play the game then,without Sound?

greetings Walter

I played the newer version throughly today and I was impressed with the improvements. On my machine it only flickered occasionally during the very first round. After that the flicker stopped, even after I had a game over and I tried again. I made it through four rounds or so with no flicker or crashing. The only missing would be the snakes, unless those can be turned on or off via the difficulty switches or they were placed in later rounds.

Overall, "Froggie" is really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this for the first time and it's an amazing pice of work! Great job!

One small suggestion: the game doesn't seem to start at all using a standard 2600 stick, which is kind of a shame. Can it be changed so that pressing the standard fire button will start the game?

Also, the RESET switch doesn't seem to work at all... either for starting the game, or resetting a game in progress.

Again, fantastic game!

Froggie just keeps getting better and better! Every time I start the game, I just have to stare at the graphics for a while, and wonder what more the 7800 could have yielded in the hands of the right programmers with the right resources.

I have a few suggestions and bug reports about the latest build, if I may.

• I'm running this on an NTSC 7800, and the occasional flicker is definitely still there.
  • The music, the in-game music in particular, should be softer in volume, so that it's really in the background. Also, some of the tempos are slower than in the arcade game.
  • The lady frog should be a different color than the player's frog. In the arcade game, she has a purple tone.
  • If you hold down the joystick in any given direction, the jump effect is heard twice, followed by what seems to be random noise.
  • During the victory music played at the end of the level, the player's frog can be seen at the lower-right corner of the screen.
  • Like sdamon pointed out, the fire button on a standard 2600 joystick doesn't register.
  • Call me a Cuttle-Cart-carrying smug elitist, but I say stick with the POKEY music and worry about TIA later. :)

Great work!

Edited by skunkworx

[*]Call me a Cuttle-Cart-carrying smug elitist, but I say stick with the POKEY music and worry about TIA later. :)

Great work!

I won't say that, but do you know how much easier it is to find carts to use without a POKEY than with? Also the choice is alwaysa nice to have and I bet alot of CC2 owners don't have a POKEY installed just do to fear of messing it up. It's not my game but if it was I tell ya support for TIA & POKEY would be a must.