IGNORED

Frogger, first playable demo

Schmutzpuppe

Is this supposed to work with TIA sound? I tried it on my 7800 with a standard 32k cart and don't get any sound. The only thing I hear is a static belch when I get a frog into one of the slots.

Thanks for the info.

So there must be a problem with the pokey detection routine... :(

You can switch to TIA anyway.

In the title screen press "pause" twice and use the stick to select "TIA" then press fire.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a problem with this game. You can't move the frog quickly, which is crucial for later levels. Can you fix this and then re-post the final? It is otherwise an awesome port, but this control issue currently kind of ruins the gameplay.

Edited by DoctorTom

There's a problem with this game. You can't move the frog quickly, which is crucial for later levels. Can you fix this and then re-post the final? It is otherwise an awesome port, but this control issue currently kind of ruins the gameplay.

I thought the same thing ... I knew something wasnt right with it .

I downloaded the last posted bin to these forums and tried it under the ProSystem emulator and MESS.

From my experience comparing this 7800 port to the Arcade, the frog seems to be moving pretty fast under both utilizing a HotRod SE controller, an A2600 controller, and a Saitek P880.

The Arcade and 7800 port compared to the 2600 and ColecoVision is slower though.

Also, the 5200 port reigns supreme in speed, where there is no need to continuously push/reset in the direction you want to go. You can just hold the joystick in the direction you want and rapidly press the fire button - The frog can be really fast.

Not sure if the above is factoring into observations or gameplay usage, as well as other factors such as emulator-controller lag or just controller issues in general. However, this 7800 port seems to mimic the speed and controls of the Arcade which I think is the goal.

Nothing personal guys, but you don't know Frogger if you think this game controls properly.

There's a pretty good chance I've played more Frogger than all of you combined. The ultimate home version of Frogger is the Genesis version. The frog moves quickly, as it should.

Why spend so much time and effort getting everything else right, only to ruin things with a sluggish protagonist?

Edited by DoctorTom

The frog under the Genesis version, similar to the Atari 2600, ColecoVision, and 5200, responds and moves faster than the Arcade. If we are comparing ports above 8-bit consoles, the ultimate home version to me would be the one available on the XBOX 360.

This 7800 port mimics the Arcade controls and response. If you are used to the controls and response, moving "quickly" under the Genesis version, then the 7800 version along with the Arcade, may appear to have "sluggish" control.

Hi Dr TOM

wow,we have a FROGGER CHAMPION here :)

Sure,you are the best....i am only a little Player...you are the champ....

But we are here in the 7800 forum and not in a SEGA forum and i like my 7800.And remember,the game is FROGGIE and not FROGGER

greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172

The frog under the Genesis version, similar to the Atari 2600, ColecoVision, and 5200, responds and moves faster than the Arcade. If we are comparing ports above 8-bit consoles, the ultimate home version to me would be the one available on the XBOX 360.

This 7800 port mimics the Arcade controls and response. If you are used to the controls and response, moving "quickly" under the Genesis version, then the 7800 version along with the Arcade, may appear to have "sluggish" control.

I disagree entirely. When I play the arcade version, sequential movement of the frog (several moves in a row), is much, much closer to the Genesis than this 7800 version. You have to have good timing with the arcade joystick, but you CAN actually get the frog to make several quick moves. I am trying this 7800 version on Wii emulation, and you cannot get the frog to move quickly, even with perfect timing.

Hi Dr TOM

wow,we have a FROGGER CHAMPION here :)

Sure,you are the best....i am only a little Player...you are the champ....

But we are here in the 7800 forum and not in a SEGA forum and i like my 7800.And remember,the game is FROGGIE and not FROGGER

greetings Walter

Sorry, Walter, I didn't mean to come off like that. But I am pretty dang good at Frogger. ;)

Hi Tom

I meant this for real,when i said, we have a Frogger champ.What about a contest,sure with

the 7800 version?I played many Frogger versions,but i do not know the Genesis version.

The worst version(my opinion)is the 5200 version,cause control is really bad.The 7800 version seems ok for me,but i did not play Frogger too much in the arcade halls.

greetings Walter

Btw is there an end in the Arcade Version?

I am trying this 7800 version on Wii emulation...

As I stated before: "...other factors such as emulator-controller lag or just controller issues in general."

I can make several "quick" moves just fine under MESS and my HotRod SE. You may have more finicky timing and controller issues playing the Atari 7800 emulator on the Wii console.

I stand by the Genesis version's frog movement having the ability to be quicker than the Arcade. Nonetheless, experiencing sequential move speed differences from the Arcade to your trying this port under a 7800 emulator on the Wii needs to be taken into account, including a number of hardware and software layers making chances for input lag and/or timing issues in that scenario very likely.

Regardless, as Schmutzpuppe stated he's looking at it and no doubt probably has a fix for those who are having less than ideal controller timing issues with this port ;)

A win-win for all no matter how you are playing this port, under whatever conditions.

Hi Guys

I use a selfmade pad,when playing FROGGIE and this works well :)

I do not feel,that the frog is too slow...

Cool, Walter...A self-made pad is very nice. Especially when it works just right :)

Giving this a little more thought and consideration...On the flip side of a 7800 emulator under the Wii being a little off with its timings, an authentic Arcade joystick (Although I have similar findings with a A2600 controller via USB) may be too exact, above and beyond the stock 7800 controller.

Playing this on the real hardware with an authentic A7800 stick may very well indeed need timings that are less exact and more leniency needs to be provided.

I really need to get my hands on a Cuttle Cart 2 or/and pray harder to the Atari Gods for the Harmony 2 :D

As I stated before: "...other factors such as emulator-controller lag or just controller issues in general."

I can make several "quick" moves just fine under MESS and my HotRod SE. You may have more finicky timing and controller issues playing the Atari 7800 emulator on the Wii console.

I stand by the Genesis version's frog movement having the ability to be quicker than the Arcade. Nonetheless, experiencing sequential move speed differences from the Arcade to your trying this port under a 7800 emulator on the Wii needs to be taken into account, including a number of hardware and software layers making chances for input lag and/or timing issues in that scenario very likely.

Regardless, as Schmutzpuppe stated he's looking at it and no doubt probably has a fix for those who are having less than ideal controller timing issues with this port ;)

A win-win for all no matter how you are playing this port, under whatever conditions.

I see, Trebor. I'm starting to think it's a Wii emulation issue with input lag/timing or something...As for Genesis, yeah, it may move slightly faster -- certainly easier to move around than the arcade Frogger, which requires more precise timing.

Edited by DoctorTom

I see, Trebor. I'm starting to think it's a Wii emulation issue with input lag/timing or something...As for Genesis, yeah, it may move slightly faster -- certainly easier to move around than the arcade Frogger, which requires more precise timing.

I recorded a Froggie video using an Atari 7800 maybe you can tell if it looks different with your emulator

• Like 2