IGNORED

Frogger, first playable demo

Schmutzpuppe

There are TIA and POKEY versions of the game. I will be demoing a POKEY version at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Does sound better than the TIA version, but that will not come as a surprise to anyone.

..Al

?????????

Perfect timing for Holidays.??????

Put me down for all four 7800 games coming out late November.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

There are TIA and POKEY versions of the game. I will be demoing a POKEY version at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Does sound better than the TIA version, but that will not come as a surprise to anyone.

..Al

Does this mean you'll be selling two versions of the game then?

Does this mean you'll be selling two versions of the game then?

I'll probably opt for TIA music for Frogger if this is the case, and save the Pokeys for Bentley and Super Circus. Depending on final pricing for the Pokey exclusive homebrews will determine if I get a limited PK Froggie or get the TIA version later...

• 1 year later...

Have the 'sour note' issues as heard in the YouTube video from 2013 been resolved in the current TIA version?

The TIA is incapable of producing certain notes, leaving holes in the middle of the scale. That is why it is such an achievement that the music is so close. This is also why many 2600 games use noise channels for notes. The TIA is not a strong music chip.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Merry Christmas everyone.

As some of you might know there where some changes in the Cartridge release of Froggie compared to the 'final' version I posted years ago.

This includes bugfixes and additional music and sound.

You can find this new version attached.

One note, in the a78 version the Pokey flag is set but Pokey auto detection doesn't work with Prosystem emulator.

So if you like to have Pokey music with Prosystem Emu you have to select it in the options.

If you press select during the intro screen you will get into an option menu.

You can toggle between these options by pressing select again.

To change a setting move the joystick up/down. Press fire to go back.

Thanks to you all for the feedback you gave over the years and very special thanks to Trebor and gambler172 for extensive testing.

Have fun...

froggie_release-version.zip

• Like 9

As some of you might know there where some changes in the Cartridge release of Froggie compared to the 'final' version I posted years ago.
This includes bugfixes and additional music and sound.
You can find this new version attached.

Thank you for this! Hopefully I can find some time soon to put it on the Cuttle Cart so that I can try it on real hardware.

EDIT - Quite unexpectedly, the baby actually took a nap this afternoon so I did have a chance to play after all. Fantastic work! Nice to hear the "Yankee Doodle" song too. All of the "modern" official versions of Frogger really bug me because the music is all changed; it's nice to have one for the 7800 where the music is all still what it should be. Now I am really going to have to finally consider putting a Pokey chip into my Cuttle Cart so that I can experience the upgraded sound on this. Thanks again!

Edited by SS

Had me some good Froggie marathons the other night! Love the game, but have a comment/question... the sound Froggie makes (talking TIA here) while hopping is a bit different from what you might expect. In Starpath's 'The Official Frogger', the hopping sound is near arcade perfect - so we know such an effect is possible. Since such care was taken with the other sound effects and music for Froggie, curious why this particular sound was chosen over the other?

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the retail version of FROGGIE on tomorrow's (Fri Feb 26, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1348654507_20210226-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.efd639af49efc4a909e369d0986c8fd5.jpg

• Like 4