IGNORED

Frogger, first playable demo

Schmutzpuppe

One thing I noticed... I don't think the lady frog shows up again once you've already picked her up. I've seen this happen a few times.

The music is a good addition, but the only tune I really like is the true Frogger theme. :) I am eager to hear the scrunchy "frog jumps home" sound effect.

Much better collision detection now. Whew!

Keep up the great work! Just a few more additions and tweaks and this one'll be done! :D

I added TIA music from Cybergoth to the latest frogger build.

Let me know what you think.

861107[/snapback]

IMHO, the music sounds good - But a bit too loud when played under MESS and compared with other Atari 7800 games. I had to reduce my volume between 25-50% to have it at 'comfortable' levels.

In the Arcade, Frogger's opening music/start of game would play loud, as well as completion of level/start of new level music. However, the rest of music while in-game/level plays much lower, and sound effects (As in the already implemented Frogger leaping) should 'overpower' the music.

-Trebor

Thanks for the feedback guys!

One thing I noticed... I don't think the lady frog shows up again once you've already picked her up. I've seen this happen a few times.

861274[/snapback]

Right, it happend everytime if you just wait long enough.

This doesn't happen anymore in the latest version

Keep up the great work! Just a few more additions and tweaks and this one'll be done!  :D

861274[/snapback]

well... :D

but you could easily import MIDI files as frogger uses a lot of classics...and as the source is public you could adapt it to play f.e. 1 voice instead of all 4...

864286[/snapback]

I think I can only import mod?

Anyway I could convert midi to mod and than to RMT ;)

Maybe I will use RMT don't know it by now.

Nifty - Frogger uses the 320-pixel-wide mode!?!?!

866994[/snapback]

Yes I thought it would be a good idea to use similar resolution to the original version.

This way it looks a bit more like the arcade version.

Even if the graphics isn’t very spectacular it nearly needs all MARIA cycles.

Maybe that's one reason why the 320 modes wasn't use very often.

Another reason may be that the gfx isn't easy to handle because you only can use all of the 6 colors if you choose the gfx carefully (if anybody what to know more about it take a look here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68549 ).

It definitely looks like a near-exact copy of the arcade graphics. Only thing that stands out to me at all is that the lady frog looks the same as the player's frog.

Impressive to see all that stuff moving around at a higher resolution than (what seems like) 99.9% of all other 7800 games.

how does one make a cart for the 7800? i would guess it is similar to making a 2600 one. is there a document or website about how to do this?

853338[/snapback]

Currently the only option is to cannibalize a common 7800 32K cartridge, swapping the ROM with an EPROM with an inverter between A15 and ~OE.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Grand of Pixels Past and Albert have something on the drawing board. (Although a donor cart may still be required for the plastic housing.)

854584[/snapback]

what kind of eprom are you using for these?

Semi stupid question to ask here. But um...what cart type do I need to specify in the rom file to make this work in Emu7800?

This has become my new favorite Emu, provided I know what cart types to choose when trying to get a new homebrew to work. All of Kens work using the same kind, but I can't get Frogger to come up that way. Any ideas?

Semi stupid question to ask here. But um...what cart type do I need to specify in the rom file to make this work in Emu7800?

This has become my new favorite Emu, provided I know what cart types to choose when trying to get a new homebrew to work. All of Kens work using the same kind, but I can't get Frogger to come up that way. Any ideas?

871456[/snapback]

Don’t bother trying frogger on emu7800 the emu doesn’t handle the CTRL in 320 modes correctly.

I wrote a mail to Mike Murphy since it is only a small change he maybe will release a new version soon.

• 1 month later...
anyway, Schmutzpuppe: can you post any screenshots.

I have a 7800 emulator, but it's still very buggy....can someone give me a link to a good 7800 emulator (for Windows ME)?

890815[/snapback]

Hi Mux, you should try this one: https://home.comcast.net/~gscottstanton/

MESS also works good only EMU7800 doesn't handle frogger correctly.

Tried it out on the CC2 - awesome!  When that Pokey sound is there it'll be perfect.

Nice work :)

890854[/snapback]

:)

Maybe I will upload a new version with a little bit pokey support later today.

I'll have to second the "Wow"! It was my literal expression when I played it. It sounds fantastic. I really wish Pokey sound was standard on all of the 7800 games. It makes such a great difference.

Not to overlook all the other additions to the release, either. Great stuff all around. Keep up the fantastic work!

-Trebor

I get no sound at all on my CC2. But the game plays fine. Yes, I have a pokey.

I also get no sound using the Prosystem emu and the .BIN file. I do get sound in MESS with the .a78 file though.

Also - the file banking scheme in the CC2 seems to have changed.

Edited by Danno

I get no sound at all on my CC2. But the game plays fine. Yes, I have a pokey.

I also get no sound using the Prosystem emu and the .BIN file. I do get sound in MESS with the .a78 file though.

Also - the file banking scheme in the CC2 seems to have changed.

891181[/snapback]

I have to admid that I didn't test it with a CC2 only Prosystem and MESS (and only the .A78 file).

At the moment I have no idea why it didn't work with CC2 :?