IGNORED

Frogger, first playable demo

Schmutzpuppe

Here's a pic of Frogger on the real hardware. Quality isn't the best as digital cameras and TVs don't always work out the greatest.

955326[/snapback]

To bad that the quality isn't very good because I really would like to see how it looks on a NTSC console (especially the colors).

Does the sound works for you now?

Yes the sound works great now, it's nice to have another game that takes advantage of Pokey on the 7800. And it fits well with a game that is spectacular graphically.

I will see about getting a direct screen capture from Frogger instead of doing it the cheap way and taking a picture of the TV with a digital camera. That will look much better. :)

Here are some screen captures I took from actual 7800 hardware, NTSC of course.

The first is of the latest Frogger binary, taken with my capture hardware's default settings..

The second is of Ms. Pac-Man, taken with the same capture settings, for reference. That extra white line near the bottom of the screen is courtesy of my capture hardware, for whatever reason.

The third is of Frogger with the brightness and contrast turned up a bit. My capture hardware's range for each is 0 to 255, with 128 being the default. These were taken with brightness and contrast each set to 135.

Hope this helps. I'm loving how this game is turning out. My only nitpick at this point is the music seems to play a bit too slowly.

post-6115-1130718860_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1130718866_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1130718874_thumb.jpg

Edited by skunkworx

Here are some screen captures I took from actual 7800 hardware, NTSC of course.

The first is of the latest Frogger binary, taken with my capture hardware's default settings..

The second is of Ms. Pac-Man, taken with the same capture settings, for reference.  That extra white line near the bottom of the screen is courtesy of my capture hardware, for whatever reason.

The third is of Frogger with the brightness and contrast turned up a bit.  My capture hardware's range for each is 0 to 255, with 128 being the default.  These were taken with brightness and contrast each set to 135.

Thanks.

The colors look nearly as expected maybe I should turn up the brightness a bit.

Hope this helps.  I'm loving how this game is turning out.  My only nitpick at this point is the music seems to play a bit too slowly.

956924[/snapback]

You are right.

I'll play again tonight, but I noticed the flicker yesterday. It's a bit distracting, but not too bad. Since I started playing the game, I may have updated the bin or changed the bankswitching entry. I'll check the archived menu files out later and update.

I still see flicker in #1, though it's not at precise intervals anymore (or at least its a much longer than 5-6 second interval) like the other one is. Odd thing is after the first frog dies, it seems that it nearly never flickers.

Edit: Now I've seen #1 do the flicker every 6 seconds or so, then go to a long interval or not at all.

I haven't seen any flicker at all in #2 - though after the first frog dies, you can't move anymore.

Edited by remowilliams

Okay, I wanted to see if there was some sort of pattern to the flicker, and here's what I saw (for #1)

Test method - start the game, don't move the frog while time runs out and stare waiting for flicker. I did three runs. Results were the same each time.

The numbers in the matrix are the number of flickers observed while the frog was alive.

Frog #1 2 3 4

Run1 3 2 0 0

Run2 3 2 0 0

Run3 3 2 0 0

I'm done staring at frogger for the evening, anyone want to try the same test with #2? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally I got a NTSC 7800 today.

My have an expansion port (which is good) and a defective RF modulator (which is bad).

The picture really sucks and the colors look weird.

Also I can only have a picture or sound with some awful background noise (have to switch between different fine-tune settings for picture or sound).

However, now I was able to see the flicker you guys talking about.

It seems as if the problem is solved now at least I can't notice the flicker anymore.

The version is attached maybe someone what do check it out.

Beside the speed up of the intro and main tune there is no different to the last version.

Didn't had much time for it, sorry.

Frogger.zip

It seems as if the problem is solved now at least I can't notice the flicker anymore.

The version is attached maybe someone what do check it out.

984573[/snapback]

The version is dated Oct. 8 2005 on the title screen.

984663[/snapback]

Yes, forgot to save the text changes but the (not working) flicker fix is covered.

• 3 months later...