IGNORED

7800: Pac-Man Completed.

PacManPlus

I thought this was number 9? Haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

Mitch

860014[/snapback]

Oh, great - now I have to go listen to The Beatles' White Album :)

I didn't count the test version... That was just to get a feel for the dot slowdown. :)

Bob

Hi Bob,

Great work!

Are you going to include this in the Atari7800 programming contest?

860123[/snapback]

Thanks, Dennis :)

I didn't know there was one... Although I don't think I should - I did start out with someone else's game...

Thank you for the thought, though.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Great work!

Are you going to include this in the Atari7800 programming contest?

860123[/snapback]

Thanks, Dennis :)

I didn't know there was one... Although I don't think I should - I did start out with someone else's game...

Thank you for the thought, though.

Bob

860125[/snapback]

He should at least include a hack section. What you've done has gone so far beyound that. Hopefully you're learning a lot so that you can go on and write one from scratch. Nice job!

Allan

Hey Jeff, Danno, Breakpack:

You guys said what I actually was thinking.  Thanks everyone. :)

It seems the argument is more for the smoothness, so I'm putting it back.  Here is version .9

860115[/snapback]

Excellent. Exactly what I wanted too...but it's not my hack. Glad to see you went back to the 'smoothness' route.

-Trebor

He should at least include a hack section. What you've done has gone so far beyound that. Hopefully you're learning a lot so that you can go on and write one from scratch. Nice job!

860127[/snapback]

Here is the link to the site...2004/2005 Atari 7800 Homebrewerpalooza Contest.

One the site he mentions...

This contest will involve any type of game you wish to create. An original game, a hack, a port, anything. Can you hack Centipede into Millipede? Make Double Dragon a better game?

If this will be your first experience programming on the 7800,we strongly encourage a hack, and it will be taken into consideration if this is your first project on the 7800.

I'd recommend submitting it. You have until June 6th as a deadline.

860127[/snapback]

Here is the link to the site...2004/2005 Atari 7800 Homebrewerpalooza Contest.

One the site he mentions...

This contest will involve any type of game you wish to create. An original game, a hack, a port, anything. Can you hack Centipede into Millipede? Make Double Dragon a better game?

If this will be your first experience programming on the 7800,we strongly encourage a hack, and it will be taken into consideration if this is your first project on the 7800.

I'd recommend submitting it. You have until June 6th as a deadline.

860155[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. This "hack" deserves respect and recognizition. It isn't "just" a change Ms. Pac-Man to Pac-Man sprite hack - Not that I could even do that - Nonetheless, this is its own game. I just got thru with the latest version - Happy to see the 'speed' was left as is - and it is perfect.

I'm out of any other words to describe this piece of work. It is just perfect. A better Pac-Man for the 7800 couldn't be created. It is arcade-like with it's very own 7800 flavor. Really is a perfect port for the 7800.

-Trebor

I've said it earlier, and I'll restate it; you guys are too nice :love: I'm glad I put the original speed back as well. I was never happy with it the other way.

Now that I know that hacks are welcome as well, I may enter that contest. I would like to attempt at a few more small changes first ;)

I did learn a lot from doing this hack... Although It's nowhere near what l need to learn before I can attempt to do anything like Kenfused or Schmutzpuppe...

Thanks again everyone :)

Danno: Doesn't Ms. Pac-Man have an attract mode? What part is missing?

Edited by PacManPlus

Some more changes to attract mode.  Version 1.0 attached here.

OK Guys, this is the final deal.  If anyone sees any bugs, let me know.  Otherwise this is pretty much it.

Thanks!

860641[/snapback]

Looks and plays perfect for me, but I've come to expect no less from your work :)

As you can see I made it a permanent part of my collection. I have to find another Pole Position II cart to cannibalize for the 7800 edition of Pacman Plus (subtle hint and wishful thinking).

post-5778-1116917250_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the hard work!

Thanks again, Guys :)

I made an attempt at a manual... I just used most of the text from the 5200 version, and put it in the format of the 7800 Ms. Pac-Man manual. I also added text about the difficulty switches. It's in Microsoft Publisher format (it's a pretty big file - 5.5Mb!) So if anyone wants it we'll have to figure out a way to get it to you :)

post-1787-1116983855_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1116983867_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

Hey Allan: I did look through it, but I don't understand how they copied the logo from the screen to the High Score Cart... Maybe I can figure it out at some point :-/

Hi Kepone: Thanks for the compliment :) What are you referring to - is it too hard, too easy, or did you find a bug? The difficulty should be about the same as the 7800 Ms. Pac... Also remember you can change the number of lives and the maze with the difficulty switches...

Hey Allan: I did look through it, but I don't understand how they copied the logo from the screen to the High Score Cart...  Maybe I can figure it out at some point :-/

Hi Kepone: Thanks for the compliment :) What are you referring to - is it too hard, too easy, or did you find a bug?  The difficulty should be about the same as the 7800 Ms. Pac...  Also remember you can change the number of lives and the maze with the difficulty switches...

861264[/snapback]

You get to sort of define the DLL for the top of the screen including setting DLI's in which a pointer gets set in the data structure (bytes 10 and 11 IIRC). Beef drop does something like this below. My logo is a font (indirect mode) and a little bit of it is in a second font.

.byte %11001111, >dlBlank, <dlBlank ;dli to pick my first font

.byte %01000111, >dlBlank, <dlBlank

.byte %00000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*01), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*01) ;8 sca

.byte %00000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*02), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*02)

.byte %00000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*03), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*03)

.byte %00000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*04), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*04)

.byte %00000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*05), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*05)

.byte %10000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*06), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*06) ;dli to pick my second font

.byte %10000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*07), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*07) ;dli to restore normal HSC font

.byte %00000111 , >(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*08), <(dlArea+LINE_DL_SIZE*08)

I turn off the screen, copy the DLL's into place and set my DLI vector to the first one, and then call the HSC which then somehow builds a full DL from what you give it. This might be hard to work into existing code though.

Hey Ken:

Thank you very much for the explanation... The Pac-Man Logo is part of the character set... Although I don't have much room left to try and attempt that... I'll see what I can do :)

Keypone:

Hmm. I just tried it, and that doesn't happen to me. Blinky does get faster than you toward the end of a level, but it should only be him, and that should happen every level. :(

Edited by PacManPlus